Tama show off time (again)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all -

Just wanted to post some pics of the kit in it's newest form. It's been modified (by me) with the installation of a double tom mount to the bass drum (gimme a drill, a pencil, and a 90-degree straight edge and I can install one for you too!) I've also gotten three new Gibraltar flat-based straight cymbal stands, and rounded out with a Yamaha 7 snare stand and a Tama single-braced Stagemaster hi-hat and Iron Cobra Jr. pedal.

The cool thing is that all my hardware fits in a small trap case that only measures 21" L x 16" W x 18" tall. Because of the new double tom mount, I save about 10 minutes on set-up because I'm no longer fidgeting with adjusting the hanging toms on heavier cymbal stands. I'm surprised how strong these Gibraltar stands are. They are certainly an upgrade to the old Ludwig flat-based cymbals stands I owned a few months ago, and the legs themselves are longer, almost 20". Certainly stable enough.

I now have a kit that has great drums, but is also very easy to move around. I know there are many of us here who swear by the stability of the heavier stands available, and I'm right there with ya', but I don't always get a crew of guys to schlep my stuff to the gig! Enjoy!

Attachments

• kit-frnt.jpg
    kit-frnt.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 823
  • kit-back.jpg
    kit-back.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 693
  • tom-mnt-web.jpg
    tom-mnt-web.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 703
some of my swingstars.. love that color.!

03032011005.jpg

04032011002.jpg

driverssea.jpg

Hey all -

Just wanted to post some pics of the kit in it's newest form. It's been modified (by me) with the installation of a double tom mount to the bass drum (gimme a drill, a pencil, and a 90-degree straight edge and I can install one for you too!) I've also gotten three new Gibraltar flat-based straight cymbal stands, and rounded out with a Yamaha 7 snare stand and a Tama single-braced Stagemaster hi-hat and Iron Cobra Jr. pedal.

The cool thing is that all my hardware fits in a small trap case that only measures 21" L x 16" W x 18" tall. Because of the new double tom mount, I save about 10 minutes on set-up because I'm no longer fidgeting with adjusting the hanging toms on heavier cymbal stands. I'm surprised how strong these Gibraltar stands are. They are certainly an upgrade to the old Ludwig flat-based cymbals stands I owned a few months ago, and the legs themselves are longer, almost 20". Certainly stable enough.

I now have a kit that has great drums, but is also very easy to move around. I know there are many of us here who swear by the stability of the heavier stands available, and I'm right there with ya', but I don't always get a crew of guys to schlep my stuff to the gig! Enjoy!

well.. i guess you should put on better hardware to suit your kit... looks contrast.!

Kit looks good Bo. Nicely balanced & ready for action. Those lightweight stands certainly look up to the job, & keep the focus on the drums. I couldn't do that with all the crap I have on my kit. It'd look like I'd set it up in a bamboo plantation, lol!

Kit looks good Bo. Nicely balanced & ready for action. Those lightweight stands certainly look up to the job, & keep the focus on the drums. I couldn't do that with all the crap I have on my kit. It'd look like I'd set it up in a bamboo plantation, lol!

Yeah I guess that's what I miss - the focus on the drums. Every time I go into a Guitar Center or some other big chain music store, there's literally a forest of stands you see before the actual drums themselves. From a marketing standpoint, I think the kids are getting it all backwards. I would much rather discover for myself that I needed bigger stands, or a rack, but the whole way drums are marketed to the masses really does the potential customers, and especially the music a disservice.

Then we all get older and end up with really small kits you can cart in in one load. Well, except for you Andy ;) (But I do not judge what other players need to play).

Then we all get older and end up with really small kits you can cart in in one load. Well, except for you Andy ;) (But I do not judge what other players need to play).
Hahaha, yes, the family discussion a couple of months ago. Wife: "your gear is messing up the interior of the CRV & I'm sick of helping you carry it upstairs into the garage loft 3 times a week. You need to cut down on gear or get your own dedicated transport where you can keep your bloody gear stored". Guess I won that one, lol!!

That' a gorgeous kit. And I'm with you all the way on the light weight hardware.

Is that one of those Worldmax iso mounts on your floor tom? How would you rate those?

That' a gorgeous kit. And I'm with you all the way on the light weight hardware.

Is that one of those Worldmax iso mounts on your floor tom? How would you rate those?

Yep. Not a bad piece of hardware. I think the only downside of it is that you use a drumkey operated bolt to tighten the legs into place. I put some DW tom mount memorylocks on the legs to take the weight of the drum because that little drumkey bolt on the thin sheet metal may just strip over time with the weight of the drum on it. No problems so far.

If I can find another $150 somewhere I may just get the correct Tama parts and install 'em, because with the Worldmax cradle, the drum won't fit in a 16" floor tom case either. Luckily I have an old 18" vulcanized fiber case, but my matching Gator ABS case is getting lonely!

Nice looking kit, Bo. But what happened to the 8056? Was it not the cat's meow enough? Still got it? Wanna sell it?

Nice looking kit, Bo. But what happened to the 8056? Was it not the cat's meow enough? Still got it? Wanna sell it?

The 8056 made way for the Copeland. Got a really good price for it too - it actually paid for the Copeland. I decided that 6.5 deep snares are too deep for me. The 5 fits me much better. I guess I should'a hit you up first!

Bo knows drums. Very nice looking indeed and those cymbals stands are cool.

Bo knows drums. Very nice looking indeed and those cymbals stands are cool.

Thanks. You really won't believe how sturdy these stands are. They're surprising me. I know Drum Workshop makes the same type of stand too, but they're a little overpriced compared to these, which were only $54 each. DW wants too much for basically the same thing. But it's nice to see this old design with modern refinements like a geared tilter and nylon inserts for the wingnuts that control the height, and larger rubber feet. It's like the old Ludwigs from the 40s on steroids.

Geez, those stands look like toothpicks! You gotta get yourself some Pearl 900 stands, man! :p (didyouseemyreferencetoanotherthread?)

Nice looking drums, Bo. I'm sure you love them.

The 8056 made way for the Copeland. Got a really good price for it too - it actually paid for the Copeland. I decided that 6.5 deep snares are too deep for me. The 5 fits me much better. I guess I should'a hit you up first!
Aw, well, what can you do? Kind of funny how you went from Copeland's original to his signature snare! You definitely have good taste in snare drums!

Awesome Bo.. You know it's funny how so many I guess... younger drummers, and it's not their fault.., but they don't know how serious Tama's history is. Fit/finish of all drums and metal parts etc.. they still kick everybody IMO.. And they do it all themselves.. not with a silent partner.

Awesome Bo.. You know it's funny how so many I guess... younger drummers, and it's not their fault.., but they don't know how serious Tama's history is. Fit/finish of all drums and metal parts etc.. they still kick everybody IMO.. And they do it all themselves.. not with a silent partner.
There's a reason why God on drums (AKA Simon Phillips) has stuck with them for 26 years! It's not as if he doesn't have choices.

And it amazes me they're this small part of a bigger corporation. Makes me wonder how good their other companies' products are. It may be surprising to find out who all they own.

But yes, I agree, over the years I've never had to question their fit and finish. It's always been top notch, and even when they went to the student market, the quality was really very good compared to other kits coming from other companies. I may have a custom color, but the drums are not custom, anyone can get this level of perfection which is nice.

Great job Bo.
I actually think the kit looks even better now, with the toms on the bass drum.

"Virgin" bass drums, ehh. IMO, it makes no difference. If you have a hole, or any muffling in there--or a pre-muff head, you are dampening the "resonance" anyway.

If someone doesn't have a virgin bass drum, they think it's better....
It might look better to them, but it's not going to make any audible difference to where you'd say "that bass drum sounds like sh*t because of that mount..."

Maybe I just come from a different day in drums, but mounts/RIMS/virgin...it's all turned into a bunch of hoo-ey marketing.

Sure, the original RIMS made a difference on Jeff Porcaro's Pearl drums with the giant tubes sticking in them, but on Tama's with their small tom mount, or other brands with small L-arm mounts?
Never had a problem with Yamaha drums when the mount was on the tom, and it had that small arm in the drum. Some of the most recorded drums in history. 60's & 70's Ludwig's, same thing.
What about "That great Gretsch sound"? Mounts on those drums too.
If a tom is slightly out of tune when it gets on a stand or an arm, just adjust the thing who cares?
...well...sorry for the rant haha!

Than You really won't believe how sturdy these stands are. They're surprising me.

Yes, they can take quite a bit. The Gibraltar legs are a few inches longer than DW's FB legs too.
I went with the DW's because of the memory locks, and I had a bunch of other DW stands.

I do love the Brake Tilter and the felts on the Gibraltar stand.
You won't have any problems with them.
I use them for 20 and 21" crashes, and a 24" ride that I play pretty aggressively at times. No problems! Flat base for my tom also.

Great job again, and have fun with those 10 extra free minutes every time you set up!

Back