Novice drummer could do with some reassurance here...

DaftMule

So a couple of decades ago I had an acoustic kit for a year or so. Never got lessons, just annoyed my college room mates trying to play along (very poorly) to things like The Stone Roses and Pink Floyd! Now, in my 40's, I have finally given in to that itch at the back of my brain which has been there ever since I sold my acoustic kit.

A couple of weeks ago I bought myself and Alesis DM10 Studio kit. Various reasons why I chose that e-kit when everyone says "buy a Roland or a Yamaha". Partly price (basically an un-used kit, with throne, headphones, sticks and Tama Power Glide kick pedal - all for £400) and partly it just seemed that I got so much more for my money. Time will tell whether my logic was good.

Unfortunately, I have probably chosen the worst time in my life to try and learn the drums properly this time. I have a young family and a relatively small house. So, even with an e-kit playing through headphones, it just makes too much noise of an evening while the kids are asleep upstairs and day times when I'm not at work are just taken up with everything else other than drumming.

Right now I am putting in between 30 and 60 mins practice a night on a practice pad I made for myself. Don't laugh, but it's basically an 8" square piece of MDF with an 8" square piece of carpet tile stuck to it, base side up. It works too! The rebound is really rather realistic and it's not noisy at all. I have only really just started as I say so I am on single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, and paradiddles in various combinations along with a few good exercises I found to help with timing. I'm also really working on my left side which is weak as hell.

So here is my worry. If all I work on is my hands am I on a bit of a hiding to nothing (unless I want to become a drum major in a marching band!). I know building limb independence and timing and all that muscle memory stuff is ultra important but it just worries me that I'm going to end up with only half a job done if I can only occasionally get onto my kit and get used to working round a kit and working my feet? Or am I just trying to run before I can walk?

I plan to do a mesh head conversion (682Drums mesh kits) fairly soon which will help the noise levels but I still don't think it will make them quiet enough for me to be able to practice at night. Maybe I now need to save up for a decent shed for the garden and house my drums there :)

A lot of drummers start on just a pad before moving to an entire kit.

A pad is better than nothing.

The problem with e-kits and noise is the vibration travels from the pad, down through the rack, into the floor, and across the wood beams the house/unit is built on. This becomes an even bigger problem with bass drum units. A simple hit on the e-bass drum can shake an entire house.

Many people have found building an isolation drum riser helpful in reducing the vibrations that go into the ground. There are several threads floating around here on how to build one. That might help your dilemma.

There are bass drum practice pads out there so you can work on hands and feet reasonably quietly, and with little space. That's what I did over the years and it has helped wonders.

If you want the most silent drum kit possible (and not spend $$$ on soundproofing):
1. Get this as your bass drum pad: http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger
2. Get these as your sticks (you may need to increase pad sensitivity if you use these): http://lidwishsoulutions.com/ultra_tones.asp
3. And yes, go for a mesh head conversion (I use 682Drums mesh myself).

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. That kick trigger/pad is such a good idea! The kick pad on the DM10 is by far the noisiest part of the kit so may well be investing in on of those ones from Triggera!

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. That kick trigger/pad is such a good idea! The kick pad on the DM10 is by far the noisiest part of the kit so may well be investing in on of those ones from Triggera!

You won't regret it mate. Be aware that it does take some getting used to though (there being no beater or head to strike) but the noise benefits are definitely worth it IMO!

So here is my worry. If all I work on is my hands am I on a bit of a hiding to nothing (unless I want to become a drum major in a marching band!). I know building limb independence and timing and all that muscle memory stuff is ultra important but it just worries me that I'm going to end up with only half a job done if I can only occasionally get onto my kit and get used to working round a kit and working my feet? Or am I just trying to run before I can walk?

Working your way through stick control will do wonders in supporting independence later on. These are not separate issues. Whatever you do you the pads will support your drum set playing when you can get to it. The single most powerful tool you have to improve coordination is to count out loud while you play - not just 'in your head-, and you still have this tool available without the bass drum pads

Hi

I can help you go back to the ABC's of independence at my website (download) so you can work from the basics upward.

More info @ www.britchops.co.uk

All the best with your learning.

TJ

Back