Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Hello all, new here well at least registered now. I have popped in here over the years to drool. I have not played in about 16 years until I saw these on CL.
Catalina Club Jazz kit in Mahogany in Marine Pearl. Can any of you help me to figure out the age of these. The guy I got them from said 20+ years. They are not in production anymore. I absolutely dig these things, they look and sound great, the snare not so much.
Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Gretsch stopped using the single club date style lugs on the Catalina kits maybe 6-7 years ago, not 20, nice kit, enjoy

Hello all, new here well at least registered now. I have popped in here over the years to drool. I have not played in about 16 years until I saw these on CL.
Catalina Club Jazz kit in Mahogany in Marine Pearl. Can any of you help me to figure out the age of these. The guy I got them from said 20+ years. They are not in production anymore. I absolutely dig these things, they look and sound great, the snare not so much.

Very nice. Interesting. A have a more recent Gretsch marine pearl. Curious as to how much you paid for these? Good luck.

Stixnergard2....6-7 years??? really...wow...i gotta do some more investigation about this

larryz... just less than 400

thanks guys

My new Cat Maples. Dark Cherry Burst. Great sounding drums and superbly crafted.

IMGP1596.JPG

IMGP1590.JPG

IMGP1589.JPG

Hi Sportyridr,

Beautiful kit there !

btw - the "Catalina Club Jazz kit in Mahogany in Marine Pearl" (and other colours) are still in production but they have different lugs to yours.

Gretsch Renown Oak. Paid USD 1,639.- for a brand new set. Shipping was USD 800 to Malaysia. I can't complaint about that deal!
The drums are flawless inside and outside and really beautiful tool.
They sound really powerful with a nice sustain on the toms.
I am short of cymbal stands and the silly mounting of the splashes will be fixed soon.

Attachments

• mydrums.JPG
    mydrums.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 3,237
Hi Sportyridr,

Beautiful kit there !

btw - the "Catalina Club Jazz kit in Mahogany in Marine Pearl" (and other colours) are still in production but they have different lugs to yours.

Thanks Herc...really enjoying them, more so after a 17 year hiatus...I need a few cymbals and some new heads but all in all very happy

I do have a question though, maybe I should post elsewhere on the site, if so let me know, I am thinking about an evans emad2 bass skin & evans clear hydraulics or remo pin stripe on toms and for snare an Evans EC Reverse Dot Snare Edge Control Drumhead, do you Gretsch guys with Mahogany shells have any input?

I am NOT a jazz player, mostly southern rock, country and str8 up rock...I don't want anything with fast attack...I just want to blend in and have some really nice tone...but when I step up they will be there and be heard.

Thoughts?...thanks in advance

Late to the party but here goes.

Gretsch Renown 3 piece (24x16, 13x9, 16x16) in Deep Inca Gold Sparkle.
DW Craviotto steam bent snare (14x5.5)
Paiste 802 hats, ZIldjian ZBT ride (which I don't much like).
Pearl Demon Drive (which I like a whole lot).

Since then I've added a Zildjian A Custom projection crash.

This is my first kit- I really love it.
I'm a beginner but learning fast.

422019_125393980923725_100003593716963_97781_893450732_n.jpg

Last edited:
Late to the party but here goes.

Gretsch Renown 3 piece (24x16, 13x9, 16x16) in Deep Inca Gold Sparkle.
DW Craviotto steam bent snare (14x5.5)
Paiste 802 hats, ZIldjian ZBT ride (which I don't much like).

Since then I've added a Zildjian A Custom projection crash.

This is my first kit- I really love it.
I'm a beginner but learning fast.

389962_10150447930301017_554076016_8961974_617021734_n.jpg

A Craviotto as first snare? Sick man... but I wouldn't pair a highest end snare with lowest bottom ride. ;)

A Craviotto as first snare? Sick man... but I wouldn't pair a highest end snare with lowest bottom ride. ;)

:)
Thanks man- yeah love the Crav.

I'm replacing the ride as soon as I can.
It was the first thing I bought, before I knew any better.
It is a REALLY boring sounding ride.

I think I may be done!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 101_0038.JPG
    101_0038.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,890
  • 101_0033-1.JPG
    101_0033-1.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 3,009
  • snare 2.jpg
    snare 2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,927