HELP.

joshisaces

Gold Member
When I kick the bass drum it sounds different with the slave pedal and the regular pedal. The left is higher pitched than the right.
I tried:
-Tuning it (batter head and resonant head)
-Making sure both pedals had the same tension with the coil
-messing with the muffling to see if one side of it was up against the head than the other side
-trying it with different beaters

How can I fix this problem?

I could be wrong but it sounds like they maybe off-centered, in otherwords your slave is closer to the rim than the primary

They are centered.
I also adjusted the beaters so that the contact between the beater and the head were right on.

D';

Does it sound the same if you hit it with a mallot or stick in both contact points with the same force ?

They are centered.
I also adjusted the beaters so that the contact between the beater and the head were right on.

D';
Measure the right contact point (right beater to 3 o'clock position) to hoop. Measure the left contact point (left beater to 9 o'clock position) to hoop. Not the up-down (noon- 6 o'clock). That's usually where pitch variables occur with double pedals. You have the Tama Rockstar kit against the red wall, and although the detail of your pictures isn't great, it's almost a sure bet the primary beater hits dead center on your kick, and the slave is off-set to the left (hence, a higher pitch)

I took of the reso head, and the pitches sound more even.
Would it have to do with the fact that there is a porthole on one side but not the other?

Indeed, that could be a factor also. Having the reso. head so close to the wall, you're getting a face full of reflective sound back at you, and certainly, that could contribute, especially if the port is on the left also.

I went out to my living room, (which is huge) and tried it again.
They were both the same.
Thanks for the help, but I can't just have my drums in the living room.
I have to try to tune them the same, but it's really difficult.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???
I want to make sure I'm not the only one, and that someone else in the world has had this problem before.

Back