new Drum Workshop Direct Drive pedal @ NAMM 2014

Everyones hi-end shaft produces zero lag and makes the left feel like the right.

Agreed. I see no reason why this driveshaft would do better than an Axis or Trick retrofit, especially since they're less than half the price of this one.

$300? DW is dreaming. And sadly, they'll sell.

That's cute. My Trick retrofit shaft was $140 after shipping and is immaculate. Also, when you adjust the length (which takes one screw) it doesn't gouge itself.

Also I've taken dumps that were less sloppy than the POS that came with my 9000s. Pin and block = useless.

the Trick Universal is very good I know because I have had the Trick pedal. The standard DW Pin and block universal is loosey goosey I do agree. but then most of them are at that level. my beef with DW is the $319 retail price on their website. Even my Axis Universal can be found for way less on Ebay.

Heavy Duty Linkage with ball bearing universals. Retro fits all DW double pedals doesn't describe much, and they show 5 foot pics on their site (I blew up the joint off of some retail sites feeble DW stock pic), lame when you're asking that kind of scratch.

Its still a pin and block design. Maybe the pins ride in bearings? I don't know, DW isn't fwd with any in depth info on their $300 connecting shaft.

my Axis next to DW Universal. Looks solid enough to me. you would have to check it out in person to compare. In person my DW universal looks bigger than my Axis.

I'd probably like this pedal and the drive shaft too. I just know from experience pin and block designs wear. AXIS is a pin and block design, tho they allow you to tighten up any wear with adjustable pins.

Not sure what DW has going on, I'll stick with my guess of bearings surrounding the pins, tho pin slop where the pins connect to the block would still be inevitable. Would like to know more, but they seem to be light on info about it.

I know there's 'not' a thousand hrs of real world testing on that connecting rod, or I really doubt there's been anyway.

Animation description of the DWCPMDD2
http://youtu.be/uadKXvomNb4

Yeah, this is on their web site, great example of DW's up to date, hip, on it marketing, very cool.

I really like when manufactures use of a lot of descriptive words that detail what their product consists of on their web sites, but you don't see that being put fwd, there's painfully little info given to the potential customer, almost like they're subtly conditioning retailers to take on the responsibility of marketing, make a you tube vid of the product etc. Not just DW... GIBRALTAR, YAMAHA others lack detailed info on their sites about their products. DW seems to be the most on it with their web site.

I know for a fact YAMAHA's excuse is there's only two guys working it in the USA for YAMAHA drums, that includes maintaing their web site. Might be the same for the others, not enough ppl to do the extra work. Web sites are being woefully underutilized IMO. I can't see how a dedicated web site person would not boost $ales.

Last edited:
Hardcore beaters mounted

Last edited:
I have all the higher end direct drive pedals except this new dw. Trick, check. Axis, check. Demon Drive, check. Yamaha, Check. I gotta say, the biggest thing for me is the footboard length. The feel, in my experience, just aint much different among the pedals. I switch theM back and forth all the time just about every day at home.....The jojo Mayer, although strap drive, may be the smoothest of all. But it does not acclimate to heel toe as well with my size 13s.

There is no best, but the Axis Longboard X is the one that stays on my kit longest...the demon drive a close second....and for reh and gigs I have done I just take the p930 and it is far better than good enough. I'm not good enough yet, but any reasonable single kick drummer will be able shred Bonham or mcbrain on the p930.....

As a collector, I may pop for the dw, but as a player, single pedal, I can't imagine it will provide any playing benefit over the Axis. For guys with larger feet like me, if you can't operate at very high levels with the Axis longs, I think something is not right with the technique. Those things shred.

I have all the higher end direct drive pedals except this new dw. Trick, check. Axis, check. Demon Drive, check. Yamaha, Check. I gotta say, the biggest thing for me is the footboard length. The feel, in my experience, just aint much different among the pedals. I switch theM back and forth all the time just about every day at home.....The jojo Mayer, although strap drive, may be the smoothest of all. But it does not acclimate to heel toe as well with my size 13s.

There is no best, but the Axis Longboard X is the one that stays on my kit longest...the demon drive a close second....and for reh and gigs I have done I just take the p930 and it is far better than good enough. I'm not good enough yet, but any reasonable single kick drummer will be able shred Bonham or mcbrain on the p930.....

As a collector, I may pop for the dw, but as a player, single pedal, I can't imagine it will provide any playing benefit over the Axis. For guys with larger feet like me, if you can't operate at very high levels with the Axis longs, I think something is not right with the technique. Those things shred.

I like my Axis A21 Laser pedals as well. ;-)

Back