Neil Peart's Drum Sets

Re: Neil Peart's Drum Set's

Well, Neil always had flashy drumkits, but from a cosmetic point of view, I prefer the double bass kits, they feel like I could play on them, not like the current ones.
I agree on the double bass. Too me it just looks right, and full. Big kits with single bass's look like they are missing something. More importantly to me is having the tom where the ride is now. I would really miss having that. I don't mind reaching a bit to the right for the ride.

Its kinda neat that from the earliest kits to the latest, the cymbal layout hasn't really changes at all; like where the main crashes and splashes are... Given the drastic changes elsewhere I'd expect that to change a lot too.

Is one of those the one he used in the Fly By Night video?

I do not think that has been posted yet.

I've never seen a picture of that kit, other than the video itself. I've often wondered about it, though, and I've never heard Neil mention it in any interviews. It looks like the chrome Slingerland from ATWAS, but they are concert toms.

Do you have any more info on that kit?

IDDrummer that is the Slingerland kit from ATWAS. Neil gave it away in a drum solo contest through Modern Drummer Magazine in the 80's. The drummer that won it was not a rock guy never played it.he held on to it for 20+ years and then sold it on e-bay about a year and a half ago.It went for about $ 23,000 if memory serves.PS because of the lighting on the album cover I never knew it was mis match of chrome and copper.

I got to actually play the first Slingerland kit recently. So that one will always hold a special place for me. That said, the ride cymbal placement on that kit was just ridiculous! It is literally behind you when you play it! I thought that it was just set up wrong, but no, that is really how he had it.

Otherwise I actually like the Snakes and Arrows kit quite a bit. Maybe it's just because I really like the Ouroboros logo.

As for me, I'll stick with my four-piece.

IDDrummer that is the Slingerland kit from ATWAS. Neil gave it away in a drum solo contest through Modern Drummer Magazine in the 80's. The drummer that won it was not a rock guy never played it.he held on to it for 20+ years and then sold it on e-bay about a year and a half ago.It went for about $ 23,000 if memory serves.PS because of the lighting on the album cover I never knew it was mis match of chrome and copper.

Hey there, PaiceFan, I am aware of the ATWAS kit that was given away, then auctioned. The one in the "Fly by Night" video has only two toms over the bass drums, and they are both concert toms, larger than the copper colored ones on ATWAS. It's possible Neil just got rid of those and added two-headed toms to the rest of the kit, thus creating the ATWAS kit. I have seen pictures with a chrome double-bass Slingerland that had only three two-headed rack toms, so that was perhaps a transition between the "Fly by Night" kit and the ATWAS kit as we know it from the album cover.

I think, back then, people kind of added little odd bits here and there as they felt like it, without changing up the whole kit.

I've never seen a picture of that kit, other than the video itself. I've often wondered about it, though, and I've never heard Neil mention it in any interviews. It looks like the chrome Slingerland from ATWAS, but they are concert toms.

Do you have any more info on that kit?

I've often wondered if that kit was a rental just for the video.

Because you're right, he has never talked about that kit, while all the others have been discussed in detail over the years.

Rush-FlyByNightHQavi_tn.jpg

Well, Neil always had flashy drumkits, but from a cosmetic point of view, I prefer the double bass kits, they feel like I could play on them, not like the current ones.

You should try the rack tom Neil uses now some time, cross overs are much easier. I can't play drum sets with flat toms now, off-set toms allow for so much more room during fills/rolls ect.

Sorry IDDrummer I misunderstood the question. In reguards to the Slingerland kit in the "Fly By Night" video I think it was a rental too. I've been following "The Proffessor" since about 77' and have never seen that kit since. That kit looked very different in configuration from anything he was playing around that time. Just for the record my favorite Peart kit is the Blackcrome Slingerlands with the 24" kicks. He used that kit on the "Farewell To Kings" tour which was the first time I saw Rush live needless to say it was a life changing experience.

Sorry IDDrummer I misunderstood the question. In reguards to the Slingerland kit in the "Fly By Night" video I think it was a rental too. I've been following "The Proffessor" since about 77' and have never seen that kit since. That kit looked very different in configuration from anything he was playing around that time. Just for the record my favorite Peart kit is the Blackcrome Slingerlands with the 24" kicks. He used that kit on the "Farewell To Kings" tour which was the first time I saw Rush live needless to say it was a life changing experience.

No worries! I love that black chrome Slingerland kit, too.

Wow, that's pretty cool! How'd you get that opportunity? Did you get to bang on them?

The owner of the kit tours them out a bit in support of various charities. They were in the area last week for the theatrical premiere of "Time Machine" so I went out to see them.

I did get to play the kit a little and that was cool. That classic 2112 sound. Although, it was pretty awkward to play because Neil liked to set up stuff "differently" back then.

The owner of the kit tours them out a bit in support of various charities. They were in the area last week for the theatrical premiere of "Time Machine" so I went out to see them.

I did get to play the kit a little and that was cool. That classic 2112 sound. Although, it was pretty awkward to play because Neil liked to set up stuff "differently" back then.

Nice!! I suppose the odds are slim to none that he'll bring them to the backwoods of North Idaho! lol

Nice!! I suppose the odds are slim to none that he'll bring them to the backwoods of North Idaho! lol

Yeah doesn't seem too likely, sorry!

He lives in the Chicago area and I live in southern Wisconsin so I kind of got lucky. Out of all of the theaters that movie was showing in, the one by me was picked for this.

I don't really know that much about Neil Peart and all his kit's history, but speaking for my personal taste, I think that the gold hardware is really classy. Something about Au that just calls to me...I'm cursed with good taste.

And the size thing: hey, he's endorsed. Why not get as much as you can and get paid to do it?

Nice...If i could have any one of his sets id definitely take the 2112 stainless slings or the black slings just because those are sweet vintage kits. My second choice would be the red Tamas because i really liked the sound of those. Awesome pic of the stainless kit...I cant believe it still exist and someone actually owns and plays it.

Back