Songs whose cover version was more popular than the original

Couple of obvious ones. Hound Dog recorded originally by Big Mama Thornton. I Fought the Law recorded originally by the Crickets. I don't think I need to mention who did the famous cover versions

Sublime did that toys cover and now everyone thinks they wrote it. I think Marley did too and also sometimes gets credit, might be mis-remembering though.

Everytime You Go Away is a Hall & Oates original but Paul Young's version is the one everyone knows. I think it's a better version too and I'm a big H&O fan.

(Okay, maybe "better" was a bit hasty but the Paul Young version sure got punched up with those sitar and piano hooks)

Last edited:
Wow, lots of stuff I'd forgotten about or didn't even know. Lots of songs mentioned that were more popular than their subsequent covers, but all good memories. :)

Bermuda

"Mad World" by Gary Jules IMO is markedly better than Tears For Fears original version

Sublime did that toys cover and now everyone thinks they wrote it. I think Marley did too and also sometimes gets credit, might be mis-remembering though.

Sublime did a few covers that I likes better than the originals like Hope (Descendants) & We're only Gonna Die (Bad Religion). This reminds me of one that Green Day did too, Time of Your Life by none other than Glen Campbell.

I don't know about more popular, but I really liked Linda Ronstadt's covers. Including "heat wave" and "when will I be loved." And a lot of that was due to the feel of her backing band.

True Colors by Phil Collins rather than Cyndi Lauper
Silent Night by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir over my church choir when I sang in it.

Blinded by the Light covered by Manfred Mann by Springsteen.

Loco-motion Little Eva covered by Grand Funk Railroad.

All Along the Watchtower by Dylan covered by Hendrix and Dave Mason.

I'm losing you by the Temptations covered Rod Stewart and the Faces

Last edited:
OK, so this has turned into a comparison thread, rather than Bermuda's original premise of the cover being more popular than the original (All Along The Watchtower and With A Little Help From My Friends are the immediate ones that came to my mind). So I'll throw out this, albeit a comparison:

Sara Smile as done by Monte Montgomery (original Hall & Oats). It's a staple of Monte's live shows, and there is a killer version on Live At Daryl's house.

There's a new topic: songs where the cover artist performs the song with the original artist! I'm sure there are more examples (The Walk This Way video comes to mind...).

Wow, lots of stuff I'd forgotten about or didn't even know. Lots of songs mentioned that were more popular than their subsequent covers, but all good memories. :)

Bermuda

Do parody covers count? ;-)

I think "I Lost on Jeopardy" is way more popular than the Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy".

I'm A Man, originally by Steve Windwood, much better(IMHO) later version by Chicago.

Procol Harum's cover of" i keep forgettin' " by michael mcdonald. Way different-way better! The original by...? Don't know 'cause I keep forgetting.

Yazoo's Only You: I think the Flying Pickets' a capella version was a bigger hit.

I prefer the original by far.

Back