Re-using heads

lefty2

Platinum Member
I was wondering about taking the heads off of 1 drum and putting them on another. Many of us do what I call, seating the head. Torquing them up real tight and let them set over night. Then tune them how you want. Some people put the heads on and exert a lot of force with the palms of their hands, you can hear the head make cracking sounds. Some people do both.
With all that said. After seating, isn't that head kind of conformed to that drum? and hoop for that matter. So I'm wondering if that head, will sound as good as it should, on a different drum. It seems like too me, the bearing edge, and hoop differences could affect it adversely. I've used old heads on drums that I've picked up just to sell, or have around for the kids. But I've never tried that on my good drums. What do you guys think, does it matter or not?

A good head will work on any drum.
Swapping heads is very common practice.
Its fun to try different heads on different drums that you own so swap away!

It is no longer necessary to "Seat" heads by extreme force or torque because heads are precision made.
The real skin heads of the past had to be seated.
Watch the Bob Gatzen vids and he talks about this.

If the heads are shot they still might be good enough to make dampening rings.
Plus - as Nutha Jason suggested some time ago - you could use them to make a brush playing practice pad if the head isn't shot but doesn't please you sound-wise.

Bass players are known to boil their strings.
Might this work for drum heads?
I guess exposing them to 100 deg C could do something.

Personally, I think bass strings taste better sauteed. :p I tried ironing dents out of my drumheads once. Yea that didn't work. Heat ruins the tone of drum heads.

Boiling strings was the more traditional way. Now, with more technology, some bassists clean their strings with ultrasonic cleaners. What those basically do is rattling off the dirt that has accumulated on the string surface.
(I've tried boinling one single time - the results didn't floor me but I used strings that weren't too decent to begin with. Boiling is more efficient when strings still have quite some of their natural lifespan left before boiling them for the first time.)

I never reuse heads. They shape themselves to the drum and the head sitting on the bearing edge becomes really rigid over time. When I take a head off a drum, it's form-fitted to that shell and the only place it's going back on, is that drum.

I reuse heads as protective water-catchers upside-down under potted plants. And as frisbees.

I reuse heads as protective water-catchers upside-down under potted plants. And as frisbees.

Bass drum heads make excellent frisbees

I have put the same head on different drum many times. It has always sounded good. Peace and goodwill.

I was wondering about taking the heads off of 1 drum and putting them on another. Many of us do what I call, seating the head. Torquing them up real tight and let them set over night. Then tune them how you want. Some people put the heads on and exert a lot of force with the palms of their hands, you can hear the head make cracking sounds. Some people do both.
With all that said. After seating, isn't that head kind of conformed to that drum? and hoop for that matter. So I'm wondering if that head, will sound as good as it should, on a different drum. It seems like too me, the bearing edge, and hoop differences could affect it adversely. I've used old heads on drums that I've picked up just to sell, or have around for the kids. But I've never tried that on my good drums. What do you guys think, does it matter or not?

I've done this a lot. No issues. Just moving it from one kit to another. I keep most of my used heads that way I can remember if I liked them or not. There are so many out there and you remember the really good ones and the really bad ones but sometimes you can't remember exactly what you tried. This way you know.

I toss out the REALLY worn ones though.

sounds like most of the replies say it doesn't make any difference. Bart thinks it does. I think the heads still do seat, even though they are mylar now. I'm pretty sure I learned that from Modern Drummer in the 80's. I'm sure they don't seat like the calf skin though. When I get my 22 kick out again, I may take the SK1 off my tour custom, and try it on the absolute. I never have liked the PS3 that it came with. Lately I've been using the 20' kick. I want to get a SK1 or a Gmad for the 20. It's got a PS3 also. I like the flower pot idea also. Thanks

you can use them as plates. they're really easy to wash, and the rim acts as a sort of barrier to food flying off (if your waiting skills aren't up to par)
after a few years you can amass a really good dinner set

The drum equivalent is using a lighter to take dents out of a drumhead, but since mylar has memory its pretty much a waste off time.

You can boil drumheads too, put them on top of a pot of boiling water, the steam will relax the mylar, you have to be attentive, precise... they can be over cooked real easy.

Back