Snare drum bags

I like the Protection Racket bags I have but I've been impressed with the new Ahead bags. I'll probably get one soon as I typically bring two snares to gigs and it's easier to tell them apart if the bags are different. The GC house brand thing I have now isn't up to the standards of these two. A friend of mine has an Ahead endorsement and a full set of the new bags. They are well thought out, well put together and have kept his Craviattos safe though the last year of touring.

I recently got a Protection Racket 3007 softcase for my 13x5" snare drum, it's a very very nice bag. Soft & thick faux-wool padding on the inside and considerable rigidity through the construction. Nice & bulky zipper mechanism and a convenient carrying handle. Plus there is a nice rubber slot on the back that you can put contact info on, I put mine on the card and also drew it on around the logo with a silver Sharpie. No problems with carrying and I think it would very much survive a drop with my stave snare inside. Plus it's big enough to fit my drum's DW MAG throwoff, which is by the way, a huge PITA because it extends ~3/2" out from the drum and another ~1/2" down past the bottom hoop when off. But the PR can still hold it with an ADDITIONAL adjustable butt on the other side, none of which I accounted for when buying the 13x5" case.

I recommend it.

I was on a budget, so I bought lightly padded Gator bags for all my drums at a great price on Amazon. Been pretty happy with them. Zippers seem sturdy. Drop a drum and I can't promise it'll survive. But the bags at least prevent anything happening from light banging against walls/each other when transporting them to and from gig.

If you gotta go bag or soft case, definitely check out the Ahead Armor Series bags. The Tear Drop shape allows for any bulky throw-offs. Nicely padded and thick inside. I use these with my PDP FS birch kit I gig with. If I gigged with my DW's, definitely hard cases. I couldn't get myself to buy cases that were more expensive than the drums.

HOWEVER, for my snares - I exclusively use SKB hardcases since they're worth more than the rest of the drums I gig with. Consider a used SKB case if funds are tight. If you have an expensive snare - think about it?

Attachments

• Ahead armor.jpg
    Ahead armor.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 173
Back