Lars Ulrich

DogBreath said:
1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

2) So you're saying he's a perfectionist? Nothing wrong with that.

3) He gets no respect from the drum community? That's news to me.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

********END OF RESPONSE********

1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only

I think it was on "...And justice for all" he used Gretch kicks. Can't remember where I read it, but they had a hard time finding the right kick sound or something. Even though he is a Zildjian endorser, he uses Sabian hats on some (if not all) tracks on "The black album". That I know for sure...just watch "One and a half years with Metallica".

BTW - Yeah, I think Lars is a good drummer for Metallica. Think of all the youngsters he inspires. He was one of my very first heroes.

A few things I want to say. I think that most musicians want to be the best they can, understandably of course. but that doesnt mean everyone has to be that way. Lars can play drums, let him. Just because he isnt the best metal drummer or even among the best that really doesnt make him a bad drummer. As for his personality I'd like to point out that you really cant judge a person on what you read or see on the TV. Also his personality should not be of any importance to us, we are music fans and not his friends or colleagues.

On the metallica front, which has come up, I heartily disagree that they have done nothing good since the black album. There are plenty of great songs on Load and I think Garage Inc and S & M are both really good too. I agree that they have lost their way however. Their lives are so incredibly different from how they were before they were rich, I think they need to stop trying to write music they would've written and write music that they want to write.

Breadmonkey said:
1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only

1. You might want to do a Google search for a personality forum. This is a drumming forum.

2. 30 takes to get it to the point that he's satisfied with it makes him a perfectionist. If you personally feel that his live playing doesn't live up to his studio work, then that just means you like his studio work better. I'm sure he'd appreciate the compliment.

3. The majority of Irish drummers that you've personally met don't like his drumming? Now that's an interesting statistic.

4. You found the drumming on the black album to be his best? Again, I'm sure that he'd appreciate the compliment.

Note: the majority of Mexican sheepherders that I have personally had to my house for tea think that ad hominem attacks against drummers have no place on DrummerWorld.

Last edited:
Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.

CarterB_Junkie said:
Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.

There's plenty more I assure you, too many to list.

Lars was good and fast back in the day and he was one of my influences(and many others) when I started to play metal. His fills were never that strong but his double bass was faster than most for the time. He played with power that would make some of our hands bleed. Over the years his playing has become quite stagnant and uninspiring. It happens...it's happened with the whole band.

And WTF is up with the snare on 'St. Anger'!?!? Did he come by my house at 2am and steal my trash can to record with???

Hmmm.......

Yeah I like them them a lot until ..and justice for all. I'm not a big fan of black album even though it was their most popular, or anything else after it for that mattert. They have some song I'll listen to on load and re-load and so on, but I like the songs and am able to listen from kill 'em all to ...and justice for all w/ disliking it.

Lars was a big influence on me when I first started playing drums as I'm sure he was on alot of drummers.Looking back though the only real album that I think has good drumming from Metallica would be the "Justice" album by far.Although he had a few good licks on the S and M live dvd as well.

Perhabs we're not doing right on Lars. He's very smart and knows exactly his position techniquewise. He never said, he's a better drummer than X or Y..... he just enjoys playing drums. It's not his fault, that he's always compared.

But for sure it's a very very popular drummer - outside the drumming scene.

Ask somebody - not musician - to name a drummer: Lars Ulrich will come up. So it is.
Not his fault.....

Bernhard

I think Lars is very musical in his drum playing. Considering the slow tempos of many of the songs, he keeps a VERY deep pocket, and has incredibly tasteful fills and phrasing. I think he fits PERFECTLY with Metallica and is as important to the success of Metallica as the other members.

What he did with Napster TOTALLY ate his credibiliy. I don't quite understand his motives for doing that, but I need to respect a drummer as a person in order to listen to him. I don't know if he was looking out for the little people or himself. Considering how much success he's had, I don't see why he'd care if they're losing a little money to internet pirating.

He was the reason for me to start drumming. Metallica were my very first Metal Band and when i listened to them i already felt: thats what I should do as well... And even nowadays I think he drummed perfectly on the lightning, master, justice and on some songs like enter sandman or my friend of misery also on the black album.
But the stuff he plays now makes me wonder: did the guy have an accident or what?? theres nothing left of the power one could hear in the early days. everything since load is complete boring, but the fault isnt only to be searched by lars, also with a better drummer these records would suck. However, if Metallica would have quit after the black album they would still be my favorite band als Lars one of my fave drummers, but he XXXXXXXXXXXX up... But I am still hoping that Metallica find back to their strength: Melodic, heavy thrash metal. theres still hope

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of personal opinions, Lars has a very strong enthusiasm for rock and drumming in general. Did anyone see the MTV special where all the pop artists du jour all took turns playing live Metallica covers for Metallica themselves? Lars was so into it, and I instantly gained a ton of respect for the guy. So what if he isn't the best. He is solid, and he is unique (just look at how many blast beats and 32nd bass drum notes he DOESN'T play).

The drum sound on "And Justice for All" is killing, especially the killer track "One". All the stuff before that is very dated sounding and rough around the edges. If making the Black Album (one of the top selling hard rock albums ever) and cleaning up your sound and maturing as musicians is "selling out", then I guess I never really liked the old Metallica anyway.

Hey:

I listen to the albums Kill 'Em All through ...And Justice for All only, as I do not like Metallica's style after them. I think Lars' best work was on ...And Justice for All, which is also my favorite album by them. His work on Master of Puppets was pretty good too. I think Ride the Lightning was a great step up from Kill 'Em All, whose drumming was quite simplistic (althought I feel it fit their style at the time). Now, I have seen some of Lar's live drumming as of recently, and I find that everything seems wrong. He has downsized his kit, and he doesn't really use the double bassing that well. Also, many of his drum parts bore me, as it is always hi-hat and crash. He never uses a ride after Ride the Lightning (bit of pun there), only in the intro of Welcome Home and he uses the bell in Disposable Heroes, which disappoints me because he limits his drum vocabulary. All in all, Lars in his prime (at least to me) is when he played on the first 4 albums; after (and including) the "Black" album, his skill seemed to diminish.

- Marc

Personally his drumming has never really inspired me. I do enjoy some Metallica though (the Black Album primarily and some of their covers such as Whiskey in a Jar, Turn the Page) and appreciate their very tight arrangements.

yea he is quite an appearence but i dont like that he almost always play same thing you know what i mean.There are three or four things to learn from him and thats all.But he is quite a drumer

Thats a good little artcle. To me Lars is a little like AVH, you dont actually hear the interesting stuff he's playing because the guitar work is so overpowering on most metallica songs. I have a bootleg of a show from the St. Anger Tour and lar's playing is great. What amazes me most about his playing is how he can come up with the most "f"ed up odd time rolls and still come in perfectly on the beat.

what reminds me that song ST.ANGER quite disciplinised druming and good rythm (slow part) i dont know how he does it in live appearance.And offcourse that is kind of music where you dont need to show off too much.

needforspeed182 said:
I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch

Lars is so awesome, hes just an all over crazy metal drummer. You have your opinon but....i dont know

Back