Trick and Axis Pedals

blastbeatkeeper

Ok, so from what I have been hearing, reading, and noticing, the power issue with Trick and Axis pedals has me miffed. Everyone says the speed is there, but the power is lacking. Just seems to me that these pedals are more for running a triggered bass than straight acoustic bass setups. Especially with the Sonic Hammer beater on the Axis Pedals. It could be just me though. any thoughts?

Last edited:
I own both the Axis A and X Longboards, just purchased a Trick Pro 1V and I own a DW 9000 and to be honest, I really don't feel the Trick is lacking in oomph regarding power. I also never thought the lightweight and smooth feel of the Axis pedals was an issue when I was playing loud Classic Rock. the Axis and Trick pedals are fantastic, as is the DW 9000.

I own the pro1-V, i dont know why ppl say they lack power posibbly the most powerful pedal i've ever played there great! with the stock beaters aswell.

I own the pro1-V, i dont know why ppl say they lack power posibbly the most powerful pedal i've ever played there great! with the stock beaters aswell.

Very true indeed. There are many adjustments that can be made with the Trick Pro1 V pedal. The naysayers just didn't hit the correct one, lol. There's even an adjustment for the depth of the bass drum's hoop.

DSC_0186-1.jpg

DSC_0143-1.jpg

Dennis

Seems like some people just think that a light feeling pedal has no power. I don't really think that's the case. Either way, an Axis A can be adjusted to be light or heavy, plus you can also make any pedal feel lighter or heavier with different weight beaters, setting the beater longer or shorter, adding weights, or adjusting spring tension. I think the real purpose of the sonic hammer beaters is to act as a method for adjusting foot board height when the pedal is at rest.

I own the Trick Domniator double. Both the Axis and Trick pedals are light and can fly. Maybe that causes the false assumption. I also own the DW 5000 and 9000 single pedals.

I compared the volume and power between the DW 9000 and the Dominator master pedal.
The DW 9000 did deliver a slightly louder punch. I took off the beaters and the DW beater is heavier than the Trick's. It also appeared that more of the DW beater contacts the batter head, because of the rounded shape of the Trick beater. The DW beater is more of a rectangle and has more surface area contact.

Resolved my insecurities by switching beaters and adding a weight to the beater shafts.
Fricken loud, fast and powerful.

Like everything else, do the research - then test it yourself..

Agreed, really beautiful pedals. I'll stick to my beginner pedals until they... No, I won't have the patience to wait until they break ;-) When I'll upgrade from my pedals, it will be a REAL upgrade.

I noticed a significant difference in power between the Axis longboards and DW 9000. Demon Drives felt weak compared to the DW 9000's too. I really wanted to like the direct drive pedals, I tweaked them as much as I could. I changed out beaters and everything. I couldnt get the same amount of power for the life of me. Maybe I was playing them wrong, but for the way I play they are significantly weaker. That being said they are super smooth and very quick and felt awesome on a triggered set up.

Last edited:
I noticed a significant difference in power between the Axis longboards and DW 9000. Demon Drives felt weak compared to the DW 9000's too. I really wanted to like the direct drive pedals, I tweaked them as much as I could. I changed out beaters and everything. I couldnt get the same amount of power for the life of me. Maybe I was playing them wrong, but for the way I play they are significantly weaker. That being said they are super smooth and very quick and felt awesome on a triggered set up.

Did you put the dw9000 beaters on the Axis?

I swapped my Pearl single's beater to a DW and it was way better.

Powerstroke 3 coated 1/3 of a remo ring foam inside the hoop,nothing else and an Evans front head with the litlle film dampener ring around the diameter of the head oh and one of those bassports in the hole.

I tune my kick a bit firmer for the feel.

I can do those 1 + ,2 + a,3 +,4 + a(triplet feel) on the single much faster.

That lick Porcaro does at the end of Hold The Line by Toto also.

Or The Immigrant Song.

Great bassdrum songs.

Gungho by Anthrax for speed lolol.

I remember a bass drum technique a friend drummer of mine used to do.

s=snare r-right foot l=left foot.

rlrs lrls rlrs lrls rlrs

srlr slrl srlr slrl

I think I've written that wrong.
Anyway snare on 2 and 4 for the first pattern and 1 and 3 for the second.

Sounds great,leaves the hole for the snare ,and still sounds like a chugga chugga bass drum beat but more musical.

I think it sounds cooler.

Ive owned both Trick and Axis pedals...I kept the Tricks. The Axis pedals were good, but not nearly as well thought out as the Trick. You need more punch? add the Trick beater weights.......you will thunder.

F

Back