WHAT A HELLUVA DOUBLE PEDAL!

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

I just tried this pedal (Maximus 4-beater) out today at the house where a guy was selling it for $100-- I didn't buy it (YET) but I think I might tomorrow.

I can't even describe the fluidity and sounds it made. Has anyone owned/used one of these? PLEASE post here as soon as possible-- I wanna hear feedback on the pros and cons of it.

http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/Maximus_Bass_Drum_Pedal.html

Thanks in advance to all,
C. P.

Hey Crew,

I just tried this pedal (Maximus 4-beater) out today at the house where a guy was selling it for $100-- I didn't buy it (YET) but I think I might tomorrow.

I can't even describe the fluidity and sounds it made. Has anyone owned/used one of these? PLEASE post here as soon as possible-- I wanna hear feedback on the pros and cons of it.

http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/Maximus_Bass_Drum_Pedal.html

Thanks in advance to all,
C. P.
Its like the razor blade of pedals whos going to come out with 5 beaters first thes guys or duallist
but if you can get it for 100 bux GO FOR IT
Tim

I'm not really getting the advantages of 4 beaters. The shift in striking position is very small so I fail to see the different tone advantage as advertised. If both beaters are acting in unison, then surely the second beater will act as a dampener if your style is to keep the beater against the head between beats. I can see a flam effect advantage but would you really want that all the time? I'm sceptical, but open to persuasion upon hearing it in action. Agree with Tim, for $100, it's got to be worth a punt even if you end up removing two of the beaters!

I'm wondering if the two outside beaters will be so close to the edge that it will make a decent sound.

I have never played one, but the few people I know who have all said that once the novelty wears off, it's nothing special. You either set it so that two of the beaters hit at the exact same time, thus basically making it a double pedal that just looks cool, or you set it so they hit like flams, which then gives you a muddy bass drum sound except for when you want that specific effect, which is generally rare.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the extra beater concept either. It could be a cool pedal to have but doesn't really seem practical for normal playing use.

Hey Crew,

Well, I "borrowed" the pedal for a few days, leaving the guy a $100 (unsigned check) deposit. He's cool with that.

This thing is weird, man, really weird. I've been experimenting around with the different settings of all 4 beaters, and some of it is insanely cool, other settings are insanely stupid.

I had to move floor toms further away from the bass, hi-hat closer to me, and am thinking I'd have to cut the slave rod on the pedal down a few inches (after I bought it) for comfort on the left side. For now it's a "cool new toy", but I'm riding the middle of the fence on it for now.

The one cool (but not very useable in 99% of applications) is the fact that you can offset 2 of the 4 pedals for a "400 bpm" kinda effect. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
C. P.

Hey Crew,

I had a guy come over to my house today and sold me some old and killer hardware for CHEAP- four cymbal stands (two were OLD Ludwig, one looks to be from the early 60's-- boom stand) and a couple of generic straight stands. The best of the buy was an old Ludwig ATLAS snare stand in BRAND NEW condition--the tubular "chair leg" type. That, two cymbal bags, a DW snare drum, a Coda 5x15 snare bag, and some assorted odds and ends for 40 bucks! Not bad for a Monday...

He saw the Maximus pedal on my garage kit and asked for a demo. 5 minutes later he bought it for $250 bucks. (HE named the price, not me)

I went down to Chico before dinner this evening and gave the guy I "borrowed" it from $150 cash--$50 over the price that he sold it to me for, and he gave me back my $100 check.

Just too much pedal for my use, but I have to admit it was really cool to mess with.

Cheers,
C. P.

Back