cymbalholics.com What happened to it?

spokes58

Greetins all,

Can someone who was or is a member of cymbalholics.com tell what happened over there? I´ve been a member for years, but hadn´t gone there in a long time. I tried opening the site a couple of months ago and it simply wasn´t there. I kept trying with no luck until today. The site is there, but there appears to be no threads, no nothing and my old user name and password don´t work. What´s up?

Thanks,
Ethan

I think it died from lack of interest/participants.

It would be a drag if the forum archives are gone, or offline forever. That would be a lot of shared expertise and users' experiences with cymbals lost. It kind of gives you pause about putting too much into these private forums-- why dedicate a lot of time to writing down something useful if it's just going to be vaporized when the site owner doesn't feel like paying for hosting any more? Maybe time to go revive ye olde rec.music.makers.percussion-- at least it's permanent....

It would be a drag if the forum archives are gone, or offline forever. That would be a lot of shared expertise and users' experiences with cymbals lost. It kind of gives you pause about putting too much into these private forums-- why dedicate a lot of time to writing down something useful if it's just going to be vaporized when the site owner doesn't feel like paying for hosting any more? Maybe time to go revive ye olde rec.music.makers.percussion-- at least it's permanent....

Why? Because it still benefits someone. That always makes it worth it. Even if I know that I'll only benefit one person, I'm not going to just "half-ass" it because the content I'm about to post won't be around for very long.

If what I posted took me all day to create but only benefits 1 person, then that's still worth it. At least, it's worth it to me. I've been that 1 person before.

I'm a member. Haven't been there I ages though. Didn't even realise it was down.

I see Patrice posted this on Facebook on September 9th:

I took the site down. going to work on an over haul. the upgrade expedited what we've been wanting to do for some time. More soon. -Patrice

Watch this space, I guess.

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully the rebirth of the site will include the archives. There really was a wealth of information on many levels and a great sharing from the brotherhood of anyone brave enough to call themselves a cymbalholic.

Is anyone aware of an alternative to Cymbalholics forum? I admit that I haven't looked much.

I WAS able to register at Cymbalholics recently-- was sent a validation thing to my email, clicked the link which took me to the site and it had a message, "Thanks for registering" etc......but have not been able to make a single post or reply.

I notice that there IS activity on the forum. Maybe those are peeps who already have posting approval pre-2013.

What a bummer. Definitely there are people out there who want a forum like this and would contribute.

If anyone has valid info, please pm me. Also I have a nice 21" Istanbul Mel Lewis cymbal for sale

Is anyone aware of an alternative to Cymbalholics forum? I admit that I haven't looked much.

I WAS able to register at Cymbalholics recently-- was sent a validation thing to my email, clicked the link which took me to the site and it had a message, "Thanks for registering" etc......but have not been able to make a single post or reply.

I notice that there IS activity on the forum. Maybe those are peeps who already have posting approval pre-2013.

What a bummer. Definitely there are people out there who want a forum like this and would contribute.

If anyone has valid info, please pm me. Also I have a nice 21" Istanbul Mel Lewis cymbal for sale

Yeah, I kind of miss the site too, I actually hammered one or two cymbals a bit after reading some of the posts. I think it's been a closed site before. I get the impression that it is owned and operated by "keep it simple" types, and they tend to get overwhelmed by rockers with cheap cymbals, who aren't interested in the craft. In the long run though, not many are in the boutique hand hammered market, even though many of would like to be.

breakspeare, send a note to one of the admins, if you're able. I'm on there daily, and it's still active. Some have had challenges registering/posting, but the admins can clear that stuff up, AFAIK.

Not quite sure what you guys are talking about, it's going strong. I visit everyday, it's totally active.

Seems like a great forum us cymbal fanatics!

I have tried to register with the forum as I would love to be part of the discussions, but it's asking for a reference .
Anyone here able to help me out? If you can pm me any advice it would be great.

I'm another one that has recently joined. They sent a message saying thanks for joining, but like some of the other guys, I can't post. I've sent several messages, with no reply.

Not quite sure what you guys are talking about, it's going strong. I visit everyday, it's totally active.

it IS active-so long as you registered a long time ago: in which case you would be able to post etc...but then there are people like me who did register-but too late and are not given the ok to post or comment. Sucks, I have a ton of turkish cymbals, lots of knowledge/wisdom about em, but can't contribute to that audience. Such is life, right!

it IS active-so long as you registered a long time ago: in which case you would be able to post etc...but then there are people like me who did register-but too late and are not given the ok to post or comment. Sucks, I have a ton of turkish cymbals, lots of knowledge/wisdom about em, but can't contribute to that audience. Such is life, right!

I wish I could give you my account. I grew tired of the chatter there for various reasons.

I received an email from them an hr. ago. It said I'm able to post now. I'll check it out before I go to bed.

I logged in and was able to post on cymbalhalics. woo hoo

Back