Eric Harland

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
No thread about this guy? Please delete this if there is, couldn't find it. Anyone into this guy? Just.....wow, amazing player. Love the group with himself, charles lloyd and zakir hussain...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZmsfZvu7k&feature=related

Quite possibley the on;y fresh group doing this kind of stuff at the moment, and with this man in the throne, how can they fail!

He is an absolutely phenomenal musician. His drumming on the "Sangam" record is stellar, and I have read that the show they recorded was the first time they played together.

His playing on the new Aaron Goldberg record is equally brilliant...among the countless others that he graces.

He is an absolutely phenomenal musician. His drumming on the "Sangam" record is stellar, and I have read that the show they recorded was the first time they played together.

His playing on the new Aaron Goldberg record is equally brilliant...among the countless others that he graces.

it was their first time? I believe that they got together in 2004, and this record was on 06...? Ah well, doesn't matter, I got the record a week or so ago, and yeah, its phenomenal. Every tune sort of runs into each other with the tabla!

I am a big fan of this drummer.I like very much.Eric Harland is an amazing drummer with a style all its own.He's got incredibly hard, groove, speed, can rock with a touch of light boot.He musician.Harland is an absolutely phenomenal career of started strong, but his first taste of independence has led to a downfall.

Does anybody know what hihat configuration he is using now?? It sounds awesome... I think its two 16" EFX cymbals.... or a 16" EFX over a 16" K Dark Thin....?

Anybody have any idea?

Where is the love for this man?

I went up to New York from Philadelphia in April last year just to see his group. Saw him three nights in a row, best shows I've ever seen. His senses of rhythm and dynamics are unmatched, and there are records I've heard him on where I've thought "I don't know if there's anyone else who could've fit here." He's got incredible control and a unique style, shaped in part by his jams with Chris Dave when they were younger (the two are cousins), where they would play as freely as possible while in time. He's got a new album coming out this year (as well as an album with James Farm), and a new website launching at midnight this Sunday, Mountain Time.

Here's a sample from a record that's had a huge influence on me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8399KRcP_M

Been into Harland for about a year now. Just an incredible, fresh sounding style. His ride patterns and interplay between the hats and snare are his signature. Does anyone know what kind of sticking patterns he typically is using to get that "busy fusion groove" sound that fills space between backbeats? I would love to be able to play like that effortlessly.

I have learned a lot from Eric Harland, via YouTube. He thinks in a fresh way about timing, accents, and even drum kit placements, but most importantly, his mastery of low volume playing, without any loss of statement, is enlightening.

Keepgrooving,

thanks a lot for your effort (in this thread and others), much appreciated!
Very nice to have a collection of links to educate and recalibrate myself while at work. :)

Back