Unix Stave Snare Drums

Zinnman

People of DW with a Unix snare drum I would be very interested in reviews, photos and sound samples if available. These drums look to be killer and I am considering one in the near future. Thanks!

Stupid, Nah. I'm sure they could use some of your knowledge.

People of DW with a Unix snare drum I would be very interested in reviews, photos and sound samples if available. These drums look to be killer and I am considering one in the near future. Thanks!

You can ask ANDY B, Shuffle or crazyhorse they all got one.

I actually never posted a picture of mine... The real thing looks much better than the pic, but .. well here is one anyway.

What can I say... I tried many snares before buying this one. I havn't really felt the need to try any since I have it. I like it that much.

Attachments

• IMG_0085_small2.JPG
    IMG_0085_small2.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 5,218
finishedstave2.jpg

That's my beautiful Unix drum. 13 x 7 maple... that picture makes the blocks stand out but in person you can hardly tell it's a stave it's so seamless.

Seriously.. you won't find a better built drum out there. A collector friend of mine just received a little 12 x 7" maple drum and he swears up and down it's the best block construction drum he's ever seen. (He's owned Brady's before...)

Both these drums (posted above) are beautiful. I can't decide which one I like better. What wood types are they? And what are their dimensions (including shell thickness)?
Thanks.

Mine is a 13 x 7 Birds Eye Maple... no difference in sound from regular maple but just cool looking. It's 1/2" thick... Personally I REALLY want a 14 x 6.5" Paduak in 3/8" with built in reinforcement rings. Unix, where's my wedding present?! =)

Mine is a 14 X 6.5 X 0.5 bubinga

The beauty of the wood doesn't really appear on the picture.

Sound is very warm, very deep. Tuning range seems infinite. Even a poor tuner like myself can't seem to make this drum sounds bad. François tunes it actually much higher than me. Fantastic ghostnotes.

This snare looks like AMAZING! Where did you bought it? What is the compagny name?
Thanks
J-C

I actually never posted a picture of mine... The real thing looks much better than the pic, but .. well here is one anyway.

What can I say... I tried many snares before buying this one. I havn't really felt the need to try any since I have it. I like it that much.

Ummm the title says it all.

http://www.unixdrums.com

Pretty much the best drums money can buy. He's doing segment drums now as well. Unlike most other companies Francois starts with the raw planks and builds each drum by hand AND has the most amazing gloss finishes as well.

I've been saving for a Unix walnut snare, but now I'm wondering if I should go with bubinga? This is the second time (see Shuffle's remark below) I've heard from a Unix user that Francois's bubinga snares produce amazing ghostnotes/crispness. That's what I'm after--something super articulate and crisp for jazz/funk, so I'm wondering if a Unix bubinga would be a better choice?

Shuffle: what kind of snare wires do you use? 16-strand? 20-strand? 42-strand?

he has 20 stand Germain wire.
The thing with Walnut that I love is that you crank it high pitch, but you still get plenty of low end in the sound. Ghostnote are amazing too.

Bubinga well that is a different animal there. It's Maple on steroides. It perfectly good for funk high pitch snare sound, have huge attack and deffinition, and lot of crispness.

Ask Zambizzi, he has a recording of his, and also I think Shuffle have a cd wich he recorder the snare, CD's that he never sold me one copy though

You'd have to be fully tone-deaf and/or suffering severe brain damage to be unhappy w/ a Unix bubinga snare...even then you'd have to *try* to find an excuse not to like it.

I'm a very happy guy, that much can be said. ;)

You'd have to be fully tone-deaf and/or suffering severe brain damage to be unhappy w/ a Unix bubinga snare...even then you'd have to *try* to find an excuse not to like it.

I'm a very happy guy, that much can be said. ;)

...and waiting for the sounds of a paduak stave snare :)

Back