The 13 inch floor tom

opentune

Platinum Member
Lately orphan drums have a way of finding me. In looking for some extra lugs and drums for a tiny 'cafe' kit I came across a 80's Tama Imperialstar 12 x 13 tom for only $10. The 80's rule for deep tom sizes!

I then abandoned the 'cafe kit' (16 inch bass drums too small for me anyway) and added the 13 tom to a 4 piece Slingerland (also made of orphans). It had a tom mount but the setup of that bugged me, so I got some legs and ....voila....for $30 I have a 13 inch floor tom. Given the abnormal depth of this drum, it reaches a pretty deep note.

So now I roll a 5 piece 'jellybean' 12 - 13 - 16 - 20,

tama13tom2.jpg

tama13floortom.jpg

P1050771.jpg

Very cool. I've been known to own a Frankenstein, or two.​

Attachments

• 115-1533_IMG.jpg
    115-1533_IMG.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 3,518
I typically have a 2 up 2 down setup. 8/10 up and 12/16 down.. But I've done gigs without the 16. I've gotten funny looks for having a 12 floor (hanging tom). Saves s TON of space though, and it makes my kit look more symmetrical because I have a 12" side snare that is mounted off of my hi hat (pearl q popper).

Nice job man!!! =D

Just wondering how did you mange to put the legs to the tom? I also wanna do that, as I find using a 13" rack tom with another rack tom isn't the best thing (to me at least). So I'd really appreciate it if you could guide me on how to make a rack tom to a floor tom.

Thanks.

Nice job man!!! =D

Just wondering how did you mange to put the legs to the tom? I also wanna do that, as I find using a 13" rack tom with another rack tom isn't the best thing (to me at least). So I'd really appreciate it if you could guide me on how to make a rack tom to a floor tom.

Thanks.

Thanks. Lots of old drums out there for the parts needed.
I got 3 floor tom leg clamps from another old orphan drum, a Tama 16 floor (you can buy leg clamps new too). I drilled the 13 tom shell, locating the screwholes for the leg clamps using the same proportions as a regular floor tom (about 3 inches from bottom of a 12 inch deep tom). Drilling the holes can be tricky. I use tape on the back side to prevent splintering of wood where the drill bit exits, and I always drill with a small bit first, increasing drill size 2 or 3 times to the final diameter. Remove tape when done drilling. Attach leg clamps, then bought some legs. Done.

Neat setup! Small floor toms can work just fine.

I currently play a five piece 10 12 14 18 (all square depths) with 13 by 4 snare. I iave it configured as 1 up 2 down so I am using the 12 and 14 as floor toms.

I would really like to see a thread with just Frankensteined kits. These here look really cool.

It looks like He turned them over...Are we right Harry?

Nice Luds! I notice your floor tom leg clamps sit at the upper part of the tom, higher than most kits, or do you have the toms turned over?

My 13 inch tom with floor tom brackets and legs.
The Bumble Bee Bop Kit.

Attachments

• CIMG0729.JPG
    CIMG0729.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 3,690
My uncle's GMS kit that they built for him upon signing him as an endorsement is 10RT, 12RT, 13FT, 14FT, 20BD. Awesome sizes. And the drums with the right heads on them can be so versatile. He uses the 14FT for any rock gig he has and it can sound like a tympani, let alone a 16" floor tom. The 13" floor tom can really tune up nicely for smaller jazz gigs and really open up nicely and have some great punch for the heavier funk and blues he does.

Thanks. Lots of old drums out there for the parts needed.
I got 3 floor tom leg clamps from another old orphan drum, a Tama 16 floor (you can buy leg clamps new too). I drilled the 13 tom shell, locating the screwholes for the leg clamps using the same proportions as a regular floor tom (about 3 inches from bottom of a 12 inch deep tom). Drilling the holes can be tricky. I use tape on the back side to prevent splintering of wood where the drill bit exits, and I always drill with a small bit first, increasing drill size 2 or 3 times to the final diameter. Remove tape when done drilling. Attach leg clamps, then bought some legs. Done.

The drilling sound shard D: I'm scared the shell will crack or smth .___.

Anyways thanks!

I picked up a Oak Custom13"FT to go w/ my 12", 14" FT & 20" - works out really well...

?uesto's Uncle and I seem to be on the same page.

My uncle's GMS kit that they built for him upon signing him as an endorsement is 10RT, 12RT, 13FT, 14FT, 20BD. Awesome sizes. And the drums with the right heads on them can be so versatile. He uses the 14FT for any rock gig he has and it can sound like a tympani, let alone a 16" floor tom. The 13" floor tom can really tune up nicely for smaller jazz gigs and really open up nicely and have some great punch for the heavier funk and blues he does.

The drilling sound shard D: I'm scared the shell will crack or smth .___.

Anyways thanks!

It shouldn't split. If in fear then you can tape up both sides of the drill site and that'll stop it from splintering/splitting in any way. Also a good idea to drill into another piece of wood on the other side of the hole - for the same reasons.

It shouldn't split. If in fear then you can tape up both sides of the drill site and that'll stop it from splintering/splitting in any way. Also a good idea to drill into another piece of wood on the other side of the hole - for the same reasons.

U mean the inside of the tom?

That's gotta sound like one huge drum if that's an Oak Custom!

Yeah, they're all Oak Customs! The 13"FT was from the first year of the Oaks - it's 13"W x 14" deep. It's very close to the 14"x12"deep, which can sound huge on it's own. I intend to cut the 13" down to 12"deep to get it a bit more in the middle of the 12"RT and the 14"FT.

Great thread and awesome 'bee-bop' kit Gruntersdad, looks super cool!

My first kit was all rock sizes, big 16" floor. Broke the floor toms legs with my OCD of overtightening things and started using my 13" as a floor. It sounded better!
It was the deciding factor of me only going as low as a 14" with my new kit.

To me they feel better to play, tune easier, save space and even in my metal band I don't want for any more depth.

Love smaller drums!

Back