SLEEP!!!

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi, This may be directed to the elders on the site? Do any of you sometimes find it difficult to fall asleep after a gig? It seems the older I get the more trouble I have unwinding. I will sit and watch the TV for a couple of hours sometimes. Then lay in bed and toss & turn.

I think sometimes it may be too much diet Coke, but other times I won't drink any Coke just water and still a lousy nights sleep. I may even have a couple of beers and I may fall asleep fast but wake up an hour later.

What helps you unwind?

Hi, This may be directed to the elders on the site? Do any of you sometimes find it difficult to fall asleep after a gig? It seems the older I get the more trouble I have unwinding. I will sit and watch the TV for a couple of hours sometimes. Then lay in bed and toss & turn.

I think sometimes it may be too much diet Coke, but other times I won't drink any Coke just water and still a lousy nights sleep. I may even have a couple of beers and I may fall asleep fast but wake up an hour later.

What helps you unwind?

Hi. I'd stay away from the Diet Coke (aspartame) and Coke altogether. Leaches good minerals from your body... and it should be used to clean drum chrome instead :) . If it were me, I'd do the hot bath and read in bed. Maybe herbal tea. Valerian? Good luck.

I'm with Larry - too much of any liquid will interrupt your sleep (bathroom breaks), but caffeine and artificial sweeteners don't help. Neither does a last-minute alcoholic drink.

I've suffered through intermittent sleep disorders for several years now, and I've found that coming off the adrenaline high of a performance can lead to a pretty deep, sound sleep if you've gotten through it with more natural assistance - water or sports drinks, decent food, and no overindulgence of anything during or after the show. Pay attention to the little details. Earplugs keep your ears from ringing and keeping you awake. A shower after the show might relax tired muscles that will turn sore overnight. Start mentally relaxing as soon as possible. You're keyed up and that's natural, especially after a very good gig, but driving home with heavy metal blaring all the way may not calm your heartrate down enough to transition to sleep afterwards. A lot of this is just plain old common sense.

If you try all this and you still have sleep issues after gigs, it might be something more serious, and you might want to ask a professional's opinion.... but I think it's a combination of your showtime habits and being keyed up afterwards, personally. I think we've all been there at one time or another.

If I go to the gym late at night, say 9PM, and get in a good workout, there's no way I'm getting to sleep anytime soon after I get home. I'm just too pumped up. This is natural.

Last edited:
When I was on the road it was much easier to get to sleep because the next morning was planned and had to be started early most of the time. If the gig was done at 2am I had to be asleep by 3am to get up at 9am and be ready to roll by 11am.
When giging from my home I always get a small meal eaten prior to going to sleep. My favorite was a toasted cheese sandwich with tomato and a small choco. milk. I did that for a lot of years back when I was working Weds thru Sat. thats alot of melted sandwiches!!
Doc

Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but making love works for me. I sleep like a baby no matter what time of day.

Thanks for all the advice. I do think last night I ate a bit too much before the gig and had a couple (3) beers after the gig. Lot on my mind too.

As for the making love part. I almost did last night but my hand fell asleep :)

Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but making love works for me. I sleep like a baby no matter what time of day.

Or you could read Stick's threads about his Saturns...

JK Sticks, couldn't resist. Your suggestion works well for me too, preceded by a sleep aid contained in an ancient plant.

Or you could read Stick's threads about his Saturns...

JK Sticks, couldn't resist. Your suggestion works well for me too, preceded by a sleep aid contained in an ancient plant.
Sorry buddy, but I failed grade 8 smoking that ancient plant every day. I have a hard enough time getting motivated without that slowing me down. :)

Sorry buddy, but I failed grade 8 smoking that ancient plant every day. I have a hard enough time getting motivated without that slowing me down. :)

Well, we are talking about going to sleep here. Slowing down is OK for that endeavor, last time I checked.

Well, we are talking about going to sleep here. Slowing down is OK for that endeavor, last time I checked.
Yes, you are right. It would be good for sleep. The only problem is that I would want to eat a whole box of Kraft Dinner first, and then that would keep me awake. I still say the sex is the best answer. :)

As you get older....your sleeping habits change....so.....

I get home from a gig anywhere from 1:30 am to 3:30 am.....and always sit a few minutes and drink a glass of water before I go to bed. Then I usually fall right to sleep, wake up 4 hours later and get up.

A nap usually hits me around 1 pm the next day. At my age, I don't get too wound-up when I play.

Another who takes about 2 hours to wind down - and that's after band practice.

I think if you're touring like DD then it would be easier because it would be part part of the nightly routine. Oldies are generally big on routine and tend to get all over-excited when they do something different. That's what's happening to you, 2bsticks :)

Larry's sleeping pill gets me to sleep every night. If not, I'd have to do insane amounts of exercise, or find someone to share a hotel room with (the Sticks Method). Being ADHD, I only go to sleep because it's the right thing to do ... if I waited to feel sleepy I'd be up till 4am every night. My brain never STFU lol

I agree on getting a little help from your wife method but thought I would mention that half of a 5mg valium works for me sometimes. Relaxes the muscles and turns off the mind like a light switch (the best part- I have the same issue as you Polly).

I agree on getting a little help from your wife method but thought I would mention that half of a 5mg valium works for me sometimes. Relaxes the muscles and turns off the mind like a light switch (the best part- I have the same issue as you Polly).

TL, sleeping tablets knock me around too much. I find nature's good 'erbs kinder - they don't stop my thoughts but usually make them more fun :)

There's a range of chillout herbal teas available, apart from the standard chamomile. I get herbal teas from the Happy Herb Shop ... I suppose there's some kind of equivalent chain in most cities.

Another nice nightcap is a nip of scotch straight. It's mellowing, but not if you've already been drinking ...

I'm getting an average of 4 to 5 hours of sleep every night and its been this way for many years, so getting to sleep is never a problem. Staying awake sometimes is.

Dennis

I'm getting an average of 4 to 5 hours of sleep every night and its been this way for many years, so getting to sleep is never a problem. Staying awake sometimes is.

Dennis

I've known people who operate this way - they wake up early and can't sleep in, no matter how late they get to bed. Your wife must be very patient :)

Back