Remembering an old teacher...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
A friend of mine sent me a link on Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7leaKOf5WrY

I know, it's not some drumming greatness, it's some jazz being played at the Playboy Jazz Festival in 1983. The trombone player, Ashley Alexander, was my last jazz educator. And the man could play, and teach as well. As a young man, he had already played in countless big bands and toured the world, most notably with Stan Kenton and Maynard Ferguson. He studied and survived at North Texas State and he had already been teaching at Mt. San Antonio College for years before I got there. He had a hand in the development of the Super Bone, which is the combination trombone and valves. I've also seen him play a horn that was both a euphonium and an altonium.

He was probably my best jazz educator during my time in college. He passed away after I studied with him for just one year (1987-88). I learned so much about playing, and just being a person from this man, it was a hard death to take. It was like I had just found this fountain of knowledge and right after I got over hating the guy for bitchin' at me everyday about how bad my time was, he decides to leave the building!

I always say it's best to learn from someone who's actually doing what you want to learn, and this man had. I know alot of people can teach, but there's something about getting the information from the horses' mouth, sotospeak. His brash-ness in how he taught me (anyway) really prepared me for taking a lesson with Ed Shaughnessy. When I met other industry people, it was almost standard that they all expected you to be excellent, and if you weren't willing to give it, they weren't willing to listen because there was so many other excellent players to choose from anyway.

I just wanted to share this video of my last jazz teacher because until this, there were no videos of him playing. And I miss that old guy :(

Nice story Bo, thanks for sharing and yeah that was some good playing as well.

I lol'd @ 1:55 watching the fan in the audience getting into it by playing air trombone haha, that was cool. Air guitar and even air drums is one thing but it's not every day that you get to see air trombone!

:)

I love stories of former teachers who served as inspiration. Funny how they still have a way of teaching you way after they are gone.

Great story and great clip! Wild Bill is one of my musical hero's so this clip was so awesome to see on that end as well.

Back