GIBRALTAR: Best Strong but Lightweight hardware options

sewolawen73

I'm thinking of purchasing Gibraltar hardware to go with the Gretsch Catalina Jazz kits I've been eyeing on for some time. Problem is I've been having trouble deciding on which series to get.

I know that I want to get stands for snare, hi-hat and two boom stands. And they have to be on the light side (trying to avoid double-braced stands) but still strong enough for digging in jazz/rock and funk.

Please tell me your opinions regarding what would be the best options for each part:

4000 series
7000 series (Elliptical)
8000 series (Flat-based)
JZ series

I should also add that I haven't decided whether to get a virgin bass drum or not so opinions on which stand would be strong enough for clamp attachment while still avoiding double-braced is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

I have some 8000 series (flat base) cymbal stands I send out with my rental Gretsch CJ kit, but I only send them for certain genre players (bop jazz, 60's pop, etc.) They are nearly too light to be useful as booms though.

As far as snare and hat go, I'd get the best you can for those two. My personal faves are Pearl S1000 for the snare, and Iron Cobra hat. You can go a little lighter than that of course, but I wouldn't go much lighter. Nothing brings a gig to a halt quicker than a busted snare stand. Believe me, I had that happen once hours from home. Never again.

Gibraltar, Dixon, Worldmax, Cannon plus a coupl others including some of Ludwigs hardware are all made by the same company, Dixon usually have a lot better pricing than the others. I have been using the same Dixon hardware and pedals for over 12 years with no problems or repairs.

I have lots of experiance with the JZ series. They are quite sturdy, but I never mounted a tom on one. I have seen pictures of that happening though. I think the 7000 series is interesting too, but I have never seen one. I used to have a Ludwig stand that was similar. On the Gibraltar website, it tells how much each stand weighs. Peace and goodwill.

Get the Gibraltar Flat Based stands for a classic Jazz look.
I really like mine.

Attachments

• 0204021229.jpg
    0204021229.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,057
Get the Gibraltar Flat Based stands for a classic Jazz look.
I really like mine.

I have to admit the classic Flat Based stands look really nice, bobdadruma. But aside from that, how is the stability? Do the snare and hi hat stands hold up well when playing heavier jazz like Art Blakey, Elvin Jones or Tony Williams?

May I add that Mapex jazz kit looks stunning!

I have to admit the classic Flat Based stands look really nice, bobdadruma. But aside from that, how is the stability? Do the snare and hi hat stands hold up well when playing heavier jazz like Art Blakey, Elvin Jones or Tony Williams?

May I add that Mapex jazz kit looks stunning!

I have four of the Gibraltar flat base cymbal stands and a hi hat stand too.
No problem whatsoever with stability. For three years, I have gigged regularly with them. I'm a fairly hard hitter at times , playing classic rock, rock, and reggae. I use 20" heavy rides, 18" crashes, etc etc. Don't really need the booms when using them with a four piece setup. Several other heavy hitters on this site using them or similar (Pearl, DW, Ludwig) flat based stands with no problem.
Neal

The stands are sturdy and they can handle anything. They are nothing like the flat base stands of the 60's. They do sway slightly more than a triangle base stand but it isn't noticeable when playing.
Thanks for the comp on my kit :)

Kit looks great Bob!

I like the Gibraltar flat base cymbal stands. The Brake Tilter is really great. The snare stand is sturdy, but I have no experience with the hat stand.

I have the Ludwig Atlas. and DW flat stands, and I play in a couple heavy rock bands. No problems with a 24" ride on a flat base straight stand at all.

The whole Atlas Classic line is awesome.

The DW straight and snare Flat base stands are really fantastic, but the DW FB hat stand wobbles pretty easily.

People have said that Gibraltar's FB legs can kind of overlap--similar to Ludwig's with their new rubber foot design.

Ludwig's Atlas feet fit DW flat base legs, and probably would fit Gibraltar's leg, if someone were to get the parts.

I have a friend that uses the Gibraltar Elliptical stands and he loves them. He plays in hard rock bands also.

I also use the Pearl S1000 snare stand Milt mentioned, and it's probably my favorite.
It's heavy duty in performance, but it's not overly heavy weighted. I'd say it's more mid-weight than heavy. The grip on the angle and height adjustment is amazing, without having to tighten it very much.

Of any stand I have ever used, the rubber grips of the basket on the Ludwig Atlas snare stand is the best, as far as how resonant and open a drum is on it (amazing for putting a tom on).
However, the Atlas Pro snare stand is heavier than what I want to gig with, so I use the Pearl S1000.

The Atlas Pro is in line in weight with the DW 9300 snare stand, which isn't horrible, but I don't need that weight in my trap case.

There is a light weight Gibraltar double braced stand that I have seen. It looks really nice to me, and it's not heavy. I think a tom could be mounted on that stand pretty easily. It's a 5610 straight.

The stuff on the Dixon site looks great, but I didn't see any light weight gear. That Hybrid Oak/Steel snare sounds awesome :)

Gigged a set of Girbraltar flat base hardware tonight. Zero problems at all. In fact the only thing unstable was this drum riser they had me on. It was actually made of two sections that were not so level.

Anyway even hanging a tom off the straight stand with an 18" crash no problems. I love the flat base hi hat stand. Super sensitive.

I picked up a cheap tama pedal that actually has the same power glide cam as my nice iron cobra. Even came with a free case! It has about 85-90% of the feel and power and less than half the price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-HP30-Single-Bass-Drum-Pedal-100166673-i1276041.gc

Will post some pics later tonight. I am really happy with my new smaller setup. Now I just need to find a lightweight drum stool!

Back