Steve Riley

IAN - W -

Rebel
Steve Riley ~ has an interesting rock drumming career with bands like Steppenwolf, Keel, WASP, L.A. Guns (lately).

I enjoy his drumming style, He throws in the song his technical punch when it's required.
In WASP, He played: The Las Command, Inside The Electric Circus.

Comments?

Attachments

• l_a_guns_3.jpg
    l_a_guns_3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4,646
Steve is a great drummer, and a good friend.

Super cool guy, and loves using my kit when LAG plays Detroit.

Funny I found this thread today--he used my kit last night (Emerald Theater, Mt. Clemens).

He does all sorts of stuff at sound check that he doesn't normally play because it wouldn't fit LAG's songs, but he can play jazz and all sorts of stuff.
It's cool to hear jazz licks coming through a huge PA with that giant sound from the 26, 14-16-18 set up.
The whole band are real good guy's, and their 2 man crew are cool also...of course if they were a-holes they wouldn't be using my stuff haha!

I sure appreciate your comments, man. Please give my "Best Regards" to Steve, let him know that his got a follower in Venezuela - South America, and I really enjoy his drumming style and technical approach during years.

Thanks a lot,

Ian

I think the pic you posted of him is funny. A DW kit with a Ludwig reso on the kick. If Steve did that or had his tech do it, he has earned points in my book for promoting the company he endorses. I know how hard it is to get the proper backline gear, and if you endorse, even harder sometimes. So kudos to Mr. Riley for (parden the pun) sticking to his guns....

Yes, mate. Mr.Riley is an straight-shooter, and doesn't care who is around.

QUOTE=latzanimal;718302]I think the pic you posted of him is funny. A DW kit with a Ludwig reso on the kick. If Steve did that or had his tech do it, he has earned points in my book for promoting the company he endorses. I know how hard it is to get the proper backline gear, and if you endorse, even harder sometimes. So kudos to Mr. Riley for (parden the pun) sticking to his guns....[/QUOTE]

I remembered and brought my camera this time! Steve's a great friend, and an awesome drummer. he's got so many chops he never uses for LAG.

Here's some pics from a recent gig (1-20-11).
Steve used my Black Glass Glitter kit.

Sound check:

PB200059.jpg

PB200061.jpg

Show:

PB200079.jpg

PB200077.jpg

PB200081.jpg

PB200082.jpg

The drums sounded great, and he didn't even do any tweaking to the tuning.

He uses his own 402, but I had mine tuned to what he uses before he got there.

I had a coated CS on mine and he uses the Aquarian Hi-Energy. That head sounds great on the 402 for rock. I got the CS to sound almost exactly the same without too much fussing.

I'm going to bring my Red Sparkle kit next time and let him have fun with that one.

Karl:

Thanks for sharing it brother!

Nice pictures on your 5-piece and Steve´s shots too, I agree Steve´s has so many chops in his pocket and delivered them well when playing for WASP phase/era.

Please give my best regards to the Wild Child - Steve, tell him that He has a follower/friend here in Venezuela.

All The Best,

Ian

Steve is one of my favortie drummers, I'm probably one of the few people who like his work with la guns over what he did with wasp, love both bands but i prefer la guns' more striaght forward kind loose style, and what steve does in that style. also nice pics and great kit.

Brother - please let me know how Steve performed in that show. If you could list the songs that He played...will be thanked and appreciated!

Anyone who is a fan of Steve should pick up the new LA Guns CD Hollywood Forever.

I don't own many albums where I like EVERY SONG, but I was blown away by this CD.
14 tunes and they are all cool. The mix is amazing, and the vocals are too.
Andy Johns produced it.

They did a show on Jan 18th here (Steve used my drums again) and they were fantastic.
New Guitar player was great too--Michael Grant is his name.

Just stumbled on this thread and I agree Karl. Hollywood Forever is a GREAT cd, and like you, I dig every song on it. I've been a big Steve Riley fan since I first saw him in WASP but I prefer the L.A. Guns stuff. They are still one of my favorite bands and it's nice to see them still putting out quality music. Hell, I like a lot of their new stuff better than the old. I've met Steve several times and he has used my kits a couple of times when he was in the area. Great guy, killer player and like Karl said earlier, if you get a chance to see a soundcheck, he will really blow you away with his jazz chops. Cool pics, thanks for sharing them

Gosh, Steve Riley! I had forgotten about him. I used to really like him in WASP. Remember sawing them opening for Iron Maiden in 1987. Great gig, and Steve was brilliant. I always enjoyed his drumming with WASP. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of LA Guns at all, so I did not follow him after he left WASP.

Back