Gretsch Renown Maple vs PDP Concept Maple

TerryV81

The Gretsch is 1200 euros without hardware and snare. The PDP is 760 euros without hardware but with a snare. So, simple (but important) question : is the Renown worth a difference of 440 euros? Playability, quality, durability, sound, versatility, etc.? Are the differences major or minor?

Again, it should be up to your ears. You need to listen to these and see what works for you, the drum sizes etc. If I recall, the Renown bass drum is 18" deep, not my cup of tea, but it may be yours. Come to think of it, the PDP may also have a deep bass drum?

Both of those kits get great reviews on here. The Renown would be classified upper intermediate/pro level, the PDP is intermediate. That is being reflected the price differences. To me those words don't matter, its how it sounds to you. If you were to sell again in the future, The resale value on the Gretsch will be good.

You can't go wrong with either of those kits.

Configuration for the two kits should be identical : 10-12-14-14-20 (fusion kits) but I was not talking about used kits. Just these two model in general.

Of course it would be easier to try both kits but it's just not possible here. In Brussels there are very few music instrument stores and nowadays they only have cheap no-name budget kit in stock that you can try. Everything else has to be ordered. So I can only trust review, opinions on the net and youtube videos. Trusting my ears with that kind of videos can also be tricky as people use different heads, tuning and recording methods. Is the sounds I'm hearing a result of the shells or a result from these other aspects? That's why I'm asking the opinion of more experienced drummers here.

I would say that if you wanted a great, well respected kit, go for the Renown. They both sound great. If you wanted a kit that didn't have as much as a high status and the money is important, go for the PDP.

the question on the difference in Euro's is yes. The Gretsch kit is a better kit. Gretsch is Gretsch, not DW lite

Everything about the Gretsch is better. I've owned two Renown kits and I've looked at several PDP's and to me, the PDP hardware and overall "feel" just seems cheap to me. Gretsch's are solid, well built and sound amazing. You wouldn't need another kit ever.

Last edited:
I recently acquired a Gretsch Renown Groove kit. It's almost criminal how good these drums sound and feel compared to price paid.

Consider them a pro-level kit at an intermediate price. For reference, I also own/play Gretsch USA Customs, Gretsch Brooklyn's and Gretsch New Classics.

Can't comment on PDP - never played them.

Only your ears can decide for you.

My Gretsch Renown 57 bop kit will probably be the only "new" kit I'll ever own. Basically a USA kit assembled overseas. It's criminal what I paid brand new ($740 total). The kit is total class. The shells weight a ton.

I've played a PDP kit - they're great drums. However, they do not compare (IMHO) to the Gretsch Renown drums and hardware. As above...the Renown drums are basically a USA Custom Gretsch kit assembled offshore. I own a modern Gretsch Custom USA kit, two 50's Gretsch kits, a 40's and a Gretsch Renown Purewood kit.
I would say my Purewood Renown kit is every bit as well made as the Custom USA kit and sounds everybit as good. I too like a shallower - 14 and even 12' - bass drum but the 18.22 Renown sounds almost unbelievable....rich...full canon-like. Everyone that hears it comments almost immediately on how great it sounds. Not just my Purewood bd but I've read it in at least one Drum gear review.....awesome sounding drums.

PDP are great drums too but not in the same class as Gretsch Renown though - in my opinion. The Renowns are worth the extra money...if you can afford it and if you can hear/see/feel the difference.

These are my Purewoods. 2007 African Mahogany

Attachments

• PWAM GRETSCH ADS.jpg
    PWAM GRETSCH ADS.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 3,000
  • PWAM GRETSCH ADS (1).jpg
    PWAM GRETSCH ADS (1).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 3,057
  • PWAM WITH RACK.jpg
    PWAM WITH RACK.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2,881
  • PUREWOOD AFRICAN MAHOGANY.jpg
    PUREWOOD AFRICAN MAHOGANY.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 2,885
Last edited:
The Gretsch Renown is a great kit.

100% manufactured from the ground up.. Shell , hardware etc.. in the Kaman Taiwan factory.

Just like the more expensive New Classic is also totally manufactured there.. as is the very nice sounding "lower line" Catalina Maple and the Catalina Jazz.

The $2999 price you see above for my Purewoods was the MSRP in the USA. I bought mine new at $2450 with a lower Canadian Dollar in 2007. I saw a 4pc PWAM for sale under $1500...that was a few years ago. The 4 pc is bigger drums 24/13/16 etc.

I would definitely take the Renown over concept. Renown is made in Taiwan and with better craftsmanship while concept is made in China at the same factory that makes basix and drumcraft. If not mistaken, Renown is using N.America maple while concept is just using local chinese maple

My Renown babies. Sweet. Don't delay. Go get em.

Attachments

• karn57j484mcb-xl.jpg
    karn57j484mcb-xl.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 3,878
I have only played/owned the Cat Jazz kit from Gretsch so I cannot speak to the quality of the Renowns. I currently own a Concept Maple kit and I can say that the hardware, shells, finish etc are excellent. The Renowns may be better, I can't say. I can say that the CM's I received were solid and very capable of any gig you would need to play. If you choose that route you will still get a solid, great sounding kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsKm6pa3jI

I have owned a comparable PDP kit (LX made in Mexico) and now own a Renown probably built in the late 2000s (not the new ones with the round badge). I can tell you that the Renown construction is far superior to the PDP that I had. The Renown is a competitively priced pro kit as far as I'm concerned. Construction is excellent. Features are excellent and compare to USA Custom. Sound is awesome. If you can afford to go with a Renown get one and you'll be set for life. That's not to say that the PDP isn't good. It is but the Renown is better in all respects IMO.

I made my choice and ordered everything now :
- Gretsch Renown fusion kit metal blue
- Zildjian A cymbals (medium thin and New Beat HH)
- Tama pro hardware

I ended up spending a lot more money that I planned but I think it's worth it. I played two hours a day every single day for the last 4 years now and there is no way I will ever stop playing drums! :)

Back