A question for drum room builders....

I'm not going to argue with you about semantics but, put some foam earplugs in your ears and see what happens to the sound.

Yes, but compare the size of the ear plug with the ear canal. Now do the same thing with the thickness of the foam pad with the size of the room. To have a comparable sound reduction, your mattress pads would have to be like 5' thick.

For inexpensive foam wall treatment, look at foam mattress pads. I think they are maybe 10 bucks and will cover a decent portion of your walls or ceilings.

Again I call for a soundproofing sticky so we don't have to keep rehashing this. High frequency absorption does not make "sound proofing", or more correctly sound level attenuation.

Consumer mattress pads are also a toxic fire trap. Look up the Great White fire. Get that stuff started accidentally and it will burn like Hades, spew toxic smoke that may knock you out before you can get out of the basement, and if you can't get it out in time probably give your insurance company a reason to deny claims. And since it doesn't do anything for the neighbors, why bother? Because a friend of a cousin read about it on the internet? People, this information is readily available. Folks from legit sound reduction companies have chimed in on threads here. Folks like myself how have gone though it a few times before getting it right have repeated the same advice over and again.

Back