New pedal from Malleus.

Hi Mark and welcome. Thank you for your efforts to bring a better pedal to guys like us. It is a very commonsense approach to pedal engineering you have there, which is what I go for. I have a few things I wanted to inquire about..I think your pedals are great, but here are my concerns. Is the foot board angle separately adjustable? I don't recall seeing that addressed. Also, I'm concerned that if the grip tape doesn't grip, becomes clogged, comes off, whatever, is there any other mechanism in place to lock the pedal in one position if desired? Like will the pedal move from side to side on a bare floor? Is there any way to lock the side to side motion?

A high visibility key would be great. And a great"lose-proof" way to store the hi vis key on the pedal would be very considerate. Because that is a big deal to us. Actually a key on a break-proof retractable chain would be the best. I know that sounds wacky, and creates rattle issues, but we need a key that is stupid proof. It's the little things that make something great. Any extra tool you introduce to drummers, IMO, needs to be designed for it's fallibles, like dropping it, and losing it. Because those scenarios will absolutely happen. Make that highly unlikely and no one can fault your product for incomplete design. Also, respectfully, the beater upgrade, why not make it standard? It's not complete unless the beater is designed for the pedal IMO.

So to recap, foot board angle, key storage, side to side motion, standard

Sorry for the interrogation lol, I'm on your side, really I am lol.

We intend to grace the hex key with a branded handle - maybe this handle needs to be made from a hi visibility material?!

High visibility and magnetic would be cool, stick it to stands and such.

The Bondhus hex key comes shipped with some of the equipment we get at the hospital to facilitate the screws in hard to get places. I have some of them at home and they are a wonder to use. My Taye metal Works pedal has a place on the base plate to store the tools that came with it. Just a small plastic cradle if you will. If you have a large magnet at home, drag the hex key or any tool across it a few dozen time and you will have a magnetic tool or hex key. I do this with screw driver tips when needed. almost like using a knife sharpening tool.

John, when did the administrator thing happen?

Larry, the pedal has some kind of sticky or velco bottom so one its in place, i dont thimk there is any side to side motion at all.

Ok, so here is Jeff's Malleus - ready to ship!

Upgrades for Malleus Generation 3 include -
- New stainless steel spring adjuster w/bttm a locking nut.
- Spring adjuster ball raced.
- Altered all fixings to be 4mm hex key through out.
- Cosmetic changes to uni bar.
- Quick release clamp slightly longer to accommodate rebate (cheap!) bass drum hoops

Ready to ship to Jeff Almeyda :)

Mark

https://www.facebook.com/MalleusDrumPedals

Attachments

• double.jpg
    double.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • spring re.jpg
    spring re.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • spring st.jpg
    spring st.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 842
These look really interesting - I like that you can have the post on the left side so you can go high on the board.

Is there anywhere in the south of the UK that stock these to try out? What's your returns policy?

Hi Johnny -

We are working on pricing for shop retail this month.
3-4 outlets in the north of England have already committed to our terms.
It's not easy, most retail outlets want at least 30%.

We'll drop our price to get them onto the highstreet, but we can't drop too much.
It's a tug of war - we need a certain margin. the seller needs margin but i wont have the pedal retail above a DW 9000.......and i wont have it retail anywhere near the axis or trick prices.
Our goal is to bring a fully machined pedal to market with a price tag to rival top line cast pedals.

Nobody in the midlands/south sells these from a shop front as yet.
July, that will change but i can't say who, what or why!

As you know, they are available from Highwood drums direct.
Gareth/Simon/Chris at highwood handle all sales/returns etc.
http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/products/malleuspedals

Highwood are currently doing a 10 day trial period for users in the UK.
email them - mention Mark from the drummerworld forum passed the details on etc.
[email protected] (Gareth)

If you are local (ish) to Cheltenham, you are more than welcome to visit the factory were these things are made. (I have a drum room upstairs :)
If you like them, you can call Gareth at highwood, use a credit/debt card and I can then let you take pedals from the factory same day.

Hope that helps.

Mark

It appears to me that in the last set of photos that the right hand pedal would be almost dead center of the bass drum and left hand pedal is too far from the center to get almost duplicate sound. and it doesn't appear to be adjustable. I would want the two beaters closer together and almost equidistant left and right of center.

This is from the website and I don't see this at all:
The Tow Bar hoop coupling system, offering fast connection to and from the drum. This allows the double pedal beaters to strike more centrally on the drum.

It appears to me that in the last set of photos that the right hand pedal would be almost dead center of the bass drum and left hand pedal is too far from the center to get almost duplicate sound. and it doesn't appear to be adjustable. I would want the two beaters closer together and almost equidistant left and right of center.

This is from the website and I don't see this at all:
The Tow Bar hoop coupling system, offering fast connection to and from the drum. This allows the double pedal beaters to strike more centrally on the drum.
Grunt, if you look at the last photo, you'll see a small ball mounting on the base plate. It locates in any one of several sets of holes. This is the ball that the tow bar hoop clamp attaches to, & allows the pedal to be adjusted sideways & also in & out in relation to the drum.

I will let you guys know all about it in a few weeks, after I've played it awhile.

Yeah, its all about the feel.

If a pedal is put together by guess work in relation to the feel it ultimately provides, all the precision machining and top materials are pretty much moot.

Back