Johan Segeborn - Multi Instrumentalist

KamaK

Platinum Member
Johan released his "not an album" today. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrEPmj8epA

Probably completely uninteresting to drummers who play drums, and extremely interesting to drummers who play guitar/bass/keys/etc.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good forum for MI's? It strikes me as unfortunate that I have to subscribe to a different forum for each individual instrument, but that there are no forums that cater to a MI's particular challenges, motivations, or dilemmas. (ie: You think being a drummer is expensive? HA!)

I've been watching Johan for a couple years now. He's got me hooked on Marshalls, and gave me an incentive to step up my recording chain. He gets just about the best guitar tones I've ever heard.

I've been watching Johan for a couple years now. He's got me hooked on Marshalls, and gave me an incentive to step up my recording chain. He gets just about the best guitar tones I've ever heard.

He's one of the few guys that really 'gets' the PLEXI-at-10 thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amD7FIyH_A

For you non Marshall-heads out there... This will give you an idea of how unbearably loud it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTi8l8Yuxg

If you stand in front of a stack, your back will begin to literally hurt after a couple mins.

I'm an aspiring multi-instrumentalist who kinda sucks at everything :)

I've been dabbling with keyboards forever but don't have any real chops to show off. Love doing music with synths, sequencers and drum machines, but got kind of bored after 15 years. Formed a band (as the drummer) and started doing background vocals.... then our singer took a year off and I've been doing lead vocals since then. Back in June I decided to try to learn bass guitar (again), so I bought a bass.... and then a guitar.... and then another bass and another guitar.

So now I have two drum sets, two basses, two guitars, and a couple of keyboards (Nord Electro 4D and Moog SubPhatty) and decided to take a sabbatical year to learn, practice and record with all this stuff. Bass is my priority, so I signed up for lessons (I'm on my 3rd week) which include music theory and reading lessons. On a good day, I practice bass for about 2 hours, guitar for 1 hour, do about 30 minutes of Stick Control exercises (something I had never ever done before) and practice reading for another 30 min.

I'm an aspiring multi-instrumentalist who kinda sucks at everything :)

I feel ya, but don't get discouraged. Jack of all, master of none. Johan is a great example of this. He's not particularly exceptional with any instrument, but has a good working understanding of all of them. At least, good enough that he is able to play the parts that he develops.

When I dove into drums, I didn't go in hoping to be great. I just wanted to be good enough to fool a real drummer into thinking I was also a real drummer for the 3-minute duration of a track.

;-)

fac, are you recording your stuff?

I feel ya, but don't get discouraged. Jack of all, master of none. Johan is a great example of this. He's not particularly exceptional with any instrument, but has a good working understanding of all of them. At least, good enough that he is able to play the parts that he develops.

When I dove into drums, I didn't go in hoping to be great. I just wanted to be good enough to fool a real drummer into thinking I was also a real drummer for the 3-minute duration of a track.

;-)

Yeah, that's pretty much my goal. To be decent enough to play along with friends, record my own songs, etc. I'm too old and introvert for stardom.

fac, are you recording your stuff?

Not yet. I mean, I have recorded lots of electronic music with synths and drum machines, but writing actual songs with actual instruments to be played by a band is completely new to me. One of my goals for this year is to write and record an EP with my band.

Back