My Gretsch Brooklyns came in today ;)

pieplaysdrums

So, after a very short wait, my new kit has arrived. Gretsch Brooklyn's in Satin Walnut.
8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 16x18k, 16x24k, 6.5x14 wood snare.
I just unpacked tonight and am doing the ritual inspection and set-up. Won't get to wail on them til tomorrow sometime (I have a 2yr old and a new-born) but here's a pic SO psyched!
539985_735944703959_20803525_32912540_2095196985_n.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks! Nah, I doubt I'd play both kicks at one time. I try to buy kit s so that they are flexible. With this one I have a bop kit, a rock kit, and a fusion-y kit all in one.

So freakin' gorgeous!!!
If I'd have enough money, I would also buy a set in these sizes.

• For Rock, 16x24k, 1 up 9x13, 2 down 14x14, 16x16

• For Jazz, the standard bop sizes 8x12, 14x14, 16x18

• For gigging in small venues/Jungle stuff 8x12,14x14,16x16 converted in kick.
That's all one needs!! The snare seems to be also a very nice instrument.
I'm also curious on how it sounds, please share your impressions when you can!

Thanks guys! Yeah, when the Tabasco bop kit showed up at Boston Drum Center (where I teach) I was pretty much sold. I flipped the stock coated Amb. batters over to the reso side and mounted coated Emp. on the tops. I've always had DW's and sold a beautiful example to get this kit, so i was a little worried as to how the final fit and finish would be with these. I'm so far pleasantly surprised and haven't found any issues. I'll try and take some better pics and maybe a video if I can get something worth listening to.

Beautiful drums.I have loved satin walnut since I got my now vintage Tama superstars in that finish.Some people don't like drums that "look like furniture".I couldn't disagree more.:)

Steve B

Thanks guys! Yeah, when the Tabasco bop kit showed up at Boston Drum Center (where I teach) I was pretty much sold. I flipped the stock coated Amb. batters over to the reso side and mounted coated Emp. on the tops. I've always had DW's and sold a beautiful example to get this kit,

So you see/play ALL drum mfg's that come through there in terms of kits.. yes ??

Wow, those are awesome! I'm envious. I also love you choice of sizes. You got all the bases covered.
Congratulations!

Thanks Drumdevil. Yup Artstar, I get to play pretty much anything that come into BDC. This series of drums totally caught me when they hit the shop. After getting to play tune and wail on mine today, they def sound AWESOME.

Thanks Drumdevil. Yup Artstar, I get to play pretty much anything that come into BDC. This series of drums totally caught me when they hit the shop. After getting to play tune and wail on mine today, they def sound AWESOME.

Well.. coming from somebody like yourself.. that is really saying something about these shells.

Wow, very NICE kit!!! Is that Walnut satin finish custom order? There are only green, black and mahogany satin options on the Gretsch website. That would be great to have another classic Gretsch finishes avaible in the Brooklyn series. I dig Burnt Orange satin. Also I would like to see some 14" deep bass drums.

Yeah, the walnut is a standard finish in the series. There's 4 satin and 4 wrapped options. If they did the burt orange I totally would have gone that way!
I have had 2 wailing sessions so far and I'll say this. The drums have a great tuning range BUT, if you want to tune them way down the kit would benefit from some nylon washers on the tension rods as they tend to vibrate loose. The pitch stays as the 302 hoops are essentially as stiff as diecast,
My only other beef is that coming from DW, having a kit with drums close in size that isn't "timbre matched" there's def some issue with intervals and "sweet spots". Call me crazy, but it's just my opinion after playing 4 different DWs for like 16-17yrs. Still very happy with the kit!

Back