What's your "day" job?

Re: How many of you have a job?

i work at a little shop, run by a family, its nicem i get free food when its my lunch break.

i usually work there on the weekends from 9am till 3pm.
that usually leaves me enough time to practice when i get home.
but if for some reason i need to leave early, they are usually pretty understanding, and let me go.

it doesnt pay that well, but im only 15 so i dont need much money to survive.

I manage websites for a large insurance company. We design, develop, maintain and improve about 15 websites, get millions of hits a month, win awards, etc.

Much rather play drums...LOL

currently i am a project manager and web developer for a new media agency in austria/europe... and unfortunately, here i dont have any room for my drum gear at the moment... so for the time being, i have to find relief in mtb/road cycling and parkour, until i get to embrace my kit again... and get back on stage!

I am a "quality assurance engineer" at a precision metals manufacturing plant in SE Michigan. Among other things I'm responsible for our Coordinate Measuring Machine, maintaining and creating work instructions for all operations of around 650 custom made components and assemblies. Also, it's my job to qualify new product for approval from our customers to proceed with production runs.
layout.jpg

Here's a crappy vid of me measuring the depth from the bearing edge to the platform on a Roland PD-85 8" pad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYwDChLVEMw

I teach drum lessons just about full time, and work in the adjoining music store sometimes.
I do a lot of playing/recording for various churches in the area as well.

It's a decent day job i'd say, and gives me the freedom to tour for a month or two ever year.

I am a Structural Designer / 3D modeler, we engineer, design, fabiricate, and build various sizes of Power Distribution Centers. Buildings that control very large machinery and/or control power plants and paper mills. Usually 20' x 40' x 15'.
I worked in our metal shop before it was discovered I was good with computers, now I am drafting with Autocad, and a 3D modeler called Metacam.

I've recently gotten into Visual Basic, and VBA implementing them into what I do and making programs to "draw for me" the basic things I need in a drawing, then I will add the specific and custom items. It cut my work from 3-4 days per building to approx 4-6 hours.

I am the drummer for (tribute) Think Floyd USA, I teach at the Paul Greene School of Rock in Chicago, and am also first call for punk band Roundeye, and local folk singer song writer Micki Croisant and Good Name Band. In also have 5 indpendent students that I teach at home.
I recently took a part time job as a delivery driver. The bands are a little slow right now, and my revenues are dwindling down. I do this every year, I am pretty excited about doing this because it is a break from the norm. I still have 3 hours a day to keep up the craft.

I'm currently a frycook at a local seafood restaraunt called The Galley. I get burnt a lot and do stick tricks with my spatulas. It's a pretty good job, but later I want to go to college to be an Architecual Engineer and start a band.

Currently, I'm a warehouse receiver during the day and father/husband/drummer/teacher at night. I used to deliver water and softener salt for many years but suffered a hernia and was pretty much forced to look for other employment. My dream is to one day own a drum shop and repair drums and other instruments.

Mechanical contractor.....we do a lot of heating and a/c work, gas and water piping. Mostly rennovation type stuff... Pretty much anything we can get paid for.

I'm a chef, but I have decided to try something new.

I now work at a not-for-profit hotel that caters to people from out of town, that are visiting the hospitals here in Halifax. Its an extremely simple gig, and you get to interect with the guests one on one. Some are in for cancer treatment, some for dialisis, every guest has a story.

Its very rewarding, which I can not say about other restaurants or hotels I've worked in over the years.

And after seeing the hell a lot of these folks are going through, I've gained a great appreciation for how damn good my life really is.

I'm a Graphic Designer (degree and everything! woo-hoo.).

I've worked at a couple big Ad agencies and Studios, a couple small places, a couple weekly newspapers....

I worked at the Metro Times (for those in the Mi/Detroit area), back when it wasn't crappy in the late 80's.

Overall, at the agencies, I've only hated the people that needed to be hated, and the field has been steady, good paying, and pretty cool.

I've gotten to do some real cool stuff over the years, and I came up "BC" (before computers), so that's been cool.

We used to do things a lot differently.

Stuff that would take weeks can be done in 1, maybe 2 days, because you have everything at your fingertips, instead of waiting for this or that person to do their 'part'.

The things that haven't changed are that people still expect miracles, like you just wave a freakin' wand or something, and they don't want to pay what it's worth.

That goes for anything I guess.

I've been working a cool a$$ job for the last 15 years for a Custom Screen Printing shop.

There hasn't been a day when I've said "God, I just do not want to go in today", so that's a real blessing for sure, and I ONLY work M-F 9-5.

Back to work!

Back