Billy Ward here!

Hey, thanks! I hope you get to see BIg Time (my DVD) and after that, my follow up DVD, Voices In My Head, which is just now coming out.

Thanks for your kind comments -
We drummers are brothers and sisters - all :)
Billy

hi billy

i just posted in the technique section about your foot taps

and i was wondering if you could help me

how do you heel tap when playing the hi hat while keeping the sound of the hi hat consistent or do you use another mechinism when playing on the hi hat. eg righ heel!

any help would be great

Hey there Mr. Hayward -

Most of the time, I am able to maintain what I want with the hat and still use mechanisms with the same heel.
Sometimes, I need the hats to be a VERY exact amount semi-open and in this case the mechanisms move to another place - most frequently, it is the right (Bass drum) heel that chips in then. But, in all honesty, It's kind of like water. Water will simply keep running downstream. That's the way my wiggling is - if one thing stops, then another starts up. It is that automatic for me. I realize that in the beginning, it is not that automatic for you - but once you get to enjoy the benefits (peace of mind and better timing for two benefits) of having mechanisms, you won't want to leave them out - ever.

(and thanks again!)

thanks for the reply billy

i am getting there at making the heel taps and it is benifiting.

i will try it with my right foot when do sloshy hi hat work

and thanks for the great video. look forward to the next one!

Great - and good luck with it all!

AND.... my DVD, "Voices In My Head", is FINALLY out. Some of you who visit my website's forum are aware of the amount of delays that kept this sucker from finally coming out -

Well... it is all over now. It is out and you can buy it and watch - and hopefully (then) talk about it!!!

I am so relieved!

Here:
http://www.dwdrums.com/dwdvd/index.htm

There is also a little 60 sec trailer here, if you want to see more before you buy. Also... if you haven't seen the long trailer - it's on my home page- www.billyward.com
For all I know, it is already here at Drummerworld (with my full blessing)

thanks!
Bernhard - I am hoping that DW will send you a review copy. If not, as soon as I have more than one copy myself - I'll send it to you!

Thanks guys

And a big 'Thank You' to you Mr Ward; despite being so busy you continually reply quickly to drummers questions and comments!! Even to me...and my wife doesn't answer so politely or quickly!!! All the very best Billy, jc

Thanks Bernard. and thanks, Billy..I really appreciate your clinics and tips.. You have a way with teaching and explaining.

...and Bernard, for always dropping these nuggets our way, ever so often.

Got "Voices in my head" and congrats BW on a killer dvd! It really was everything I hoped for and beyond. Allot of content. You revealed so much of where your chops derive, and really give a good breakdown at that jazz (buddy rich) element of drumming that has always dumbfounded me. By slowing down some of that blazing fast stick work I felt like you let me cheat on a test allowing me a peek at your paper. It's going on the ipod, on a loop.
This dvd is a gift to drummers thank you Billy!

Got "Voices in my head" and congrats BW on a killer dvd! It really was everything I hoped for and beyond. Allot of content. You revealed so much of where your chops derive, and really give a good breakdown at that jazz (buddy rich) element of drumming that has always dumbfounded me. By slowing down some of that blazing fast stick work I felt like you let me cheat on a test allowing me a peek at your paper. It's going on the ipod, on a loop.
This dvd is a gift to drummers thank you Billy!

Illustrator,

Thanks for such a great note about the new DVD! Your comments are exactly what i had wished for as I was making this! I hope the fog continues to clear and you fulfill all of your hopes in music!
best wishes,
Billy Ward

Hey Billy,
When I was about 3 years old I remember seeing buddy rich on tv. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and that Christmas I got my first (paper) drum set that lasted about a day and a half.
Your gifted artistry always inspired and excited me the same way. Your chops are genius. Unique, refined and subtle. Trying (trying key word) to get a Billy Ward groove going is what makes the hackles stand up again and just makes drumming enjoyable and challenging.
Ok a bit gushy but it's hearfelt.
Thanks again for the new DVD.

Last edited:
Big Time is still my favorite drumming DVD. I love his feel and groove, and the way he views his drumming, and drumming in general. My brother has his book, I'd like to get my hands on that one day too.

Billy,
I really enjoyed your solo on the dvd that you just released . I noticed it was exactly 3 minutes long , which really made sense to me as far as the song like approach that you took. Did you intentionally time it that way or was that coincidence?
thanks keep inspiring
mike o

Billy,
I really enjoyed your solo on the dvd that you just released . I noticed it was exactly 3 minutes long , which really made sense to me as far as the song like approach that you took. Did you intentionally time it that way or was that coincidence?
thanks keep inspiring
mike o

Mikey -
Every one of those little solos was played impromptu - just to get me into the mood to teach! I was completely unaware that it would be a part of the movie!
I was very ill that day (it was a one day shoot and believe me, you heard everything I played and spoke)
As it turns out - those little solos are an important part of the DVD! go figure :)

Billy

I just wanted to say what an awesome time I had hanging out this week. You're such a cool guy.

Attachments

• Picture 393 CROP.jpg
    Picture 393 CROP.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 745
Back