Best video for Technique?

Mike Armstrong

I would like to improve my technique when playing ghost notes, among others problem areas. Can you guys recommend a video that explains/focuses mainly on technique? I've heard that the Tommy Igoe videos are very good, true? Thanks

Yes......VERY true!! Igoe's dvd is excellent and will have you 'playing along' almost immediately.

So is Jojo Mayer's, "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer".....the only problem I have with Jojo's vid, is that it seems to pose more questions geared towards things like "Should I learn German grip or French grip?"....(amongst many other things....that is but one example) than it provides answers. Jojo's vid is brilliant in that it shows you the process of many techniques......where it lacks, IMHO, is that too many newer players feel the need to take it as an "either/or" approach. I honestly don't think that, that was Jojo's original intention. He shows you the process, as a matter of course......great for the experienced player who is looking to add to his arsenal. Not so great for the beginner who is looking for a "definitive" answer. However, I realise that I'm about to get flamed for saying that.....but by the same account, that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out either.

At the end of the day, what you end up applying to the drum kit is up to you. If it works for you, then use it....if it doesn't, then leave it be, until you feel you'll see the benefits. That is the one reason why, I feel the Igoe dvd is a little more easily followed.

Now, upon a re-read.......that makes NO sense, does it?? I'm more than happy to elaborate my jaded thoughts if anyone seeks clarification. :)

Last edited:
Yes......VERY true!! Igoe's dvd is excellent and will have you 'playing along' almost immediately.

So is Jojo Mayer's, "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer".....the only problem I have with Jojo's vid, is that it seems to pose more questions geared towards things like "Should I learn German grip or French grip?"....(amongst many other things....that is but one example) than it provides answers. Jojo's vid is brilliant in that it shows you the process of many techniques......where it lacks, IMHO, is that too many newer players feel the need to take it as an "either/or" approach. I honestly don't think that, that was Jojo's original intention. He shows you the process, as a matter of course......great for the experienced player who is looking to add to his arsenal. Not so great for the beginner who is looking for a "definitive" answer. However, I realise that I'm about to get flamed for saying that.....but by the same account, that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out either.

At the end of the day, what you end up applying to the drum kit is up to you. If it works for you, then use it....if it doesn't, then leave it be, until you feel you'll see the benefits. That is the one reason why, I feel the Igoe dvd is a little more easily followed.

Now, upon a re-read.......that makes NO sense, does it?? :)

No! just kidding:) Thanks, I appreciate the info. I might have been thinking of JoJo Meyers videos. Anyhoo, I'm not so much a beginner anymore (I hope) and now that I'm starting to scrutinize my technique more I want to refine it as I move on. A good technique based video would be great for me right about now.

Second that, but I have three. Steve Smith, He talks about foot work as well, Jo Jo's DVD and Tommy Igoe's Great Hands. I use all three. If anybody can explain ghosting, its those guys.

We are pretty lucky in this day and age that we have these kinds of tools to help get better.

If my memory serves me right, I recall seeing/hearing Jojo Mayer describe his Secret Weapons DVD as: more of an encyclopedia on different techniques, rather than a straight forward instructional DVD. I own it myself and I definitely can see why he says so when I watch it =)

First and foremost if you can get a good quality teacher you won't need any videos.
Secondly, Pocket Full of Gold is 100% correct. The Jojo dvd is really for experienced players who'd like to refine and maybe tweek their technique.

Good luck!!!!

First and foremost if you can get a good quality teacher you won't need any videos.

The above is the best advice going. Get a good teacher. A video can't answer questions, point out pitfalls, correct you in the moment, develop a program of study or give you a pat on the back when you do well.

A ghost note is merely a quiet note. There is no particular technique used for them. They can be played with just about any grip. What we need is a set of techniques that allow us to play at any dynamic and - probably more importantly - to move effortlessly from one dynamic level to another while maintaining relaxation and control. A good teacher can help you develop technique that will serve you under any circumstance.

The above is the best advice going. Get a good teacher. A video can't answer questions, point out pitfalls, correct you in the moment, develop a program of study or give you a pat on the back when you do well.

A ghost note is merely a quiet note. There is no particular technique used for them. They can be played with just about any grip. What we need is a set of techniques that allow us to play at any dynamic and - probably more importantly - to move effortlessly from one dynamic level to another while maintaining relaxation and control. A good teacher can help you develop technique that will serve you under any circumstance.

I agree, but... Getting a good teacher is a lot easier said than done. There's a lot of really, really, bad teachers who have no business teaching this instrument. I daresay they can actually do more harm than good. Of course, a good one is great, if you can find them. Depends a lot on where you live. It's easier to find great instruction in busier, bigger cities than deep in the sticks, of course.

I agree, but... Getting a good teacher is a lot easier said than done. There's a lot of really, really, bad teachers who have no business teaching this instrument. I daresay they can actually do more harm than good. Of course, a good one is great, if you can find them. Depends a lot on where you live. It's easier to find great instruction in busier, bigger cities than deep in the sticks, of course.

True but I grew up in the sticks in the northern part of NY state. I traveled 30 to the college to study with the professor of percussion. I drive my son 45 miles to 2 teachers one college professor and one pro symphony player. The best teachers you have to find. They usually don't advertise. You need to seek them out. The last place I would begin would be at a music store. I'd start with the local colleges, local symphony or drum corps if they're in your area. It's not as hard as you think if you know where to look.

The Jojo Mayer and Jim Chapin DVDs are great, however, I would start off with Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime and a copy of Stick Control. Should be plenty. Then all you need is some music to read and a good teacher.

Seek and ye shall find. Music is not an easy pursuit. The effort put in to find a teacher that can help is well worth it. You have to invest to make profits...

Seek and ye shall find. Music is not an easy pursuit. The effort put in to find a teacher that can help is well worth it. You have to invest to make profits...

True, but perhaps our definition of "good" is different. It's easy to say to some poor soul in who-knows-where that there are good teachers around, but I disagree. I think there are way more bad ones. Not to say you shouldn't try(and yes, maybe there is gold to discover!) to find the good ones and the suggestions here to do so are all valid and good ideas to indeed, find a quality personal instructor. I think your advice is excellent.

In the meantime, the DVD's discussed, especially Igoe and Mayer, offer top-notch info.

Last edited:

This is very very true. There is a tremendous amount of bad info and advice out there, and some you even have to pay for.

True, but perhaps our definition of "good" is different. It's easy to say to some poor soul in who-knows-where that there are good teachers around, but I disagree. I think there are way more bad ones. Not to say you shouldn't try(and yes, maybe there is gold to discover!) to find the good ones and the suggestions here to do so are all valid and good ideas to indeed, find a quality personal instructor. I think your advice is excellent.

In the meantime, the DVD's discussed, especially Igoe and Mayer, offer top-notch info.

I don't disagree. And I agree that it's a Catch-22 for inexperienced students. I.e. how do you know a good one from a bad one if you don't already know what you're asking them to teach you? It's a conundrum, and it's probably compounded by the number of people who have hung out their shingles as "drum teachers" in the past few years. But it's partly in the process of seeking and being disappointed that we find a good path. Error is part of the program.

That said, I think that common sense can help us avoid some of the pitfalls. Contacting recognised authorities in your area, or making the effort to go a little further afield to find one is a good start. One good lesson a month from a qualified teacher you have to travel 45 minutes to see is going to be better than 3 from a local kid who knows just enough to be dangerous. Quality over quantity; that's common sense. In regards to purchasing something of real quality, a wise person once gave the advice, "Figure out what you can afford, and pay a little more."

I also think that we can overstate the amount of "damage" that can be done by a poor teacher. Of course, there is a real concern - I won't deny that - and having spent some time revamping my technique a couple times in my life (despite having some very good teachers when I was young) I know it's a tedious and potentially disheartening process. But, to what degree is that all part of the learning curve? A lot of very good players have made their names playing with techniques that they wouldn't use now. Techniques that even caused them discomfort or injury (Vinnie C., Dave Weckl). They managed, and when they happened on a better idea, they made the necessary adjustments.

I think there's enough information out there about technique, etc. (internet, videos, etc.) that if you show up at a teacher's studio and he's telling you to put a death grip on the sticks and whack the drums like you'd hammer a nail, something should twig in your mind. That's the value of the videos. But it still takes steady attention from a more objective set of eyes and ears to make real improvement on the instrument.

Again, common sense and discernment play a big part. They key is individual effort on the mental side. If you can find the local drum corps leader, or a Highland or rudimental drumming regiment, or a good local drum set player, etc. there's probably a great amount to be learned from them that will get you started until you can figure out how to make the next step. If what they're telling you doesn't pass the sniff test, ask questions, if they can't answer them to your satisfaction, seek elsewhere.

That which doesn't kill me...

I think there's enough information out there about technique, etc. (internet, videos, etc.) that if you show up at a teacher's studio and he's telling you to put a death grip on the sticks and whack the drums like you'd hammer a nail, something should twig in your mind. That's the value of the videos. But it still takes steady attention from a more objective set of eyes and ears to make real improvement on the instrument.

lol. This is exactly what it seems like my predecessor must have told all my drum students.

lol. This is exactly what it seems like my predecessor must have told all my drum students.

Been there, done that. And you know, I have to admit I'm a little vain. Even though I set to work fixing these problems immediately, it takes time and usually kids will hang onto poor habits for awhile after I get them. I have to admit I worry that when they're out and someone asks, "who's your teacher?" that people will attribute their Caveman Grip to me. :)

On the other hand, I get just as many students who have had lessons with local guys that I know, and who I know haven't told them to do certain things, but they persist. Usually when I point it out, I'll say, "And I know "X" has told you this, too, right?!?" Sometimes you just have to let them go their way, short of beating them with a stick held like a hammer, that is. You can lead a horse to water...

That said, I also think this is simply part of the process. No one starts with beautiful, graceful technique - or at least very few do. I've had a couple who were shown once and didn't need much reminding, but they're rare, and often they've played other instruments or had some movement/dance/physical training.

It takes time to train the fine muscles in the hands, etc. to work efficiently. It seems to me that in the absence of fine motor control, we default to using larger muscle groups that we're comfortable with. So, some of that instinct to clutch the stick like a club and pummel the skins with elbow/shoulder strokes is people just trying to get by - using whatever default setting they have to try and get the sounds out they want. It's a long and patient process to train them into smaller, more efficient motions. That's my job - to get their brains talking to their hands.

Last edited:
I recommend Jojo Mayer and Joe Morello's DVDs. Danny Gottleib produced a fine video some years ago but I have not seen it on the shelves recently. I am alone in intensely disliking Iggoes technique DVD. I hate it. But that is just me.

The thing about the Igoe DVD is that it gave me something to give to young students that they will actually do.

My own method is simply the first pages of the Unreel Drumbook continually expanding over more beats and different note values that slowly unfolds into groove and solo applications on the whole kit. I do my rutine two times a day. First on the kit rather slowly and then in the evening on a pad with slightly more focus on speed. It's sort of my own Greb, Dawson, Garibaldi thing I guess, slowly combining all possibilities and playing around with them.

Back