Mac Vs PC

anson89

I need some help here. I'm thinking to get a Macbook Pro but the thing from stopping me is the price and I don't know if it's gonna last me for long time since Apple is always coming out with new products, and I hate changing computers all the time. Reason for changing, I need something for music, video and photo editing, better gaming, faster laptop, longer battery life, something stable. I need some advices.

I'm thinking to get the 2.33GHz one, but after comparing it to the 2.16Ghz one, the price is such a big difference. Both comes with 2GB RAM, X1600 256MB graphics card, 120GB HD. I'm using a 17" laptop with 80GB HD, 1GB RAM and a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor and sometimes I get pissed off cause it heats up so fast, it slows down sometimes and the battery life sucks! So guys any comments? Should I get a Mac?

I'm pretty neutral between the two. I've had my PowerBook for 2 years now while I've been around PCs for a dozen, and I can see the benefits to both. The Mac is great for media-intensive processes and will never crap out on you (although XP Pro has been just as reliable), but there are SO MANY more programs available for the PC out there, especially as far as free internet software goes, that when you go back to the Mac you feel constricted. I really can't say one way or another, but I will say that I'm a visual kind of guy and the OS X interface is nothing short of gorgeous.

Go for the Mac!

1. Macs are VERY uprgradable. My dad, who is a research scientist ad NIH, has had his for about 9 years and it performs like it rolled off the line yesterday. (it has a Y2K compatible sticker on it.. lol) Try that w/ a PC.
2.Macs are more compact and have more features, such as iSight (i know there are some pc imitators out there) and to finger scrolling. The graphics and gaming are incredible.
3. For a drummer like you macs are a great choice. Bright display with built-in MIDI capabilities and Garage Band. When is the last time you saw a guy at a clinic toting a pc?
4. They look better ;-).

Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs, the restriction issues aren't valid anymore. Plus i never feel restricted because most of the good programs for geeks like me are on mac anyway.

And if you cant spring for the MacPro, get the iBook. Its a great computer too.

Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs, the restriction issues aren't valid anymore. Plus i never feel restricted because most of the good programs for geeks like me are on mac anyway.
I was looking at a government website yesterday and there was a message that said basically that to use the interactive parts of the site, turn off pop-up blockers and use a PC rather than a Mac. And of course we've all been in the computer stores with aisles and aisles of software titles, and one little Mac "ghetto" with twenty titles crammed onto one shelf. Sure Macs are much more compatible with Windows programs these days, but one can just as easily make the argument that Windows-based PCs are more able to do things that only Macs used to be able to do.

I know that wasn't the original question of this thread. Plus our favorite website was created on a Mac. I'm not at all a Mac hater. Maybe just lazy? lol

Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs
Mac can't be compatible with all programs. there is no DirectX for Mac so the majority of games can not run on a Mac and for the same reason gaming on a Mac can never be incredible.

in answer to the question I would like to add that if you could miss the extra money you could go for the Mac, I personally think they do quite a nice job on the laptops because they have years of experience in offering complete systems (which after all laptops still are in comparison to PC's which you can assemble any way you like). I don't think you should expect the Mac to deliver better performance. also if you're already complain about temperatures of your PC laptop I think you should know that the biggest problem about the MacBook pro is probably that it gets really hot.

Last edited:
that's emulation and doesn't make sense to me, why first spend extra money on a Mac and then emulate a PC on it (which will decrease performance) when you could have got a PC for less?

I heard that Mac's hardly get any viruses? Is it true that most viruses are created for windows like 98% or is this BS? Because for all the anti spyware, and anti virus software you need to have for a PC nowadays a mac may actually be the same price in the long run.

Yes that is BS, Macs CAN get viruses, but defintley not as many as a PC could. Macs are sometimes more expensive than PC's and they have to be updated consistanty. I do not like to use Macs as I am Windows certified. PC's are coming out with some new software I am not able to share with you at the moment, but I can say that PC's in the next year are going to be WAY better than a Mac (I have connections with Windows). Dont get me wrong, Macs are a very useful instrument and be helpful in many ways. I just do not prefer to use them, as DB said, not a Mac hater nor am I a lover of them.

Peace
AGR

Yes that is BS, Macs CAN get viruses, but defintley not as many as a PC could. Macs are sometimes more expensive than PC's and they have to be updated consistanty. I do not like to use Macs as I am Windows certified. PC's are coming out with some new software I am not able to share with you at the moment, but I can say that PC's in the next year are going to be WAY better than a Mac (I have connections with Windows). Dont get me wrong, Macs are a very useful instrument and be helpful in many ways. I just do not prefer to use them, as DB said, not a Mac hater nor am I a lover of them.

Peace
AGR

okay, THAT is BS, i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac, there was one trojan, that had to be opened in an email a while back. you are wrong again. My mom is using a 7 year old mac, it burns dvds, she uses it for email, internet Microsoft Office, among other things. so no, you are wrong. honestly, macs are amazing for everything. GO with the mac anson89

i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac
Really? Why do you suppose there are so many antivirus programs for Macs if there has never been a virus for a Mac? There's the OSX/Inqtana.A worm, the Leap.A virus, the System 6 virus, the Autostart worm, the Code 252 virus, the CDEF virus, plus registration code vulnerabilities, ID3 tag exploits, integer overflow exploits, etc. Just take a look at sites like macvirus.org or securemac.com.

a virus is just a piece of software just like any other, the only difference really is that it does things you don't wan't like destroying stuff on your computer or making it unable to use it properly. so why wouldn't there be any virusses for mac? and also mac can run Java applications so it's even really easy to write a virus for a mac.

okay, THAT is BS, i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac, there was one trojan, that had to be opened in an email a while back. you are wrong again. My mom is using a 7 year old mac, it burns dvds, she uses it for email, internet Microsoft Office, among other things. so no, you are wrong. honestly, macs are amazing for everything. GO with the mac anson89

I'd take into consideration that this guy works for apple, of course he's gonna say good things about them...

Well, just think about it. Were there viruses for the first "advanced" computers? No, it took a little while before the viruses and other computer disruptors came along. But with Macs, they havent been out to long and trojans and some spyware along with malware is already starting to pop-up. Now think about THAT, stuff is ALREADY coming out even more through which means Macs will probably end up even worse than a PC would. Yes, PC's can get numerous viruses, ok , yes we got that now, There is not a virus, per say. There is already one( that of which I know of) and more in the making. Just like dog Breath said, why would they have all of the anti-spyware applivations along with anti-VIRUS software if the is NO viruses? Why would they have this if there is no viruses? What about this? Look at the left in the blue box with all of the links. Look at ALL of those protection software. Now tell me there isnt a virus without being a smart-allic?

Peace
AGR

Peace
AGR

WHAT? Number 1, macs dont get viruses. I have never come across a mac virus in my 7 years using Mac. Every year or two a malware comes out which is easily remedied and not easliy introduced or spread. Macs are built from the ground up to resist viruses. They dont downaoad and run things automatically and the code it is built on is much more secure.

Number 2, PCs aren't going to better than macs anytime in the near future. PCs are trying to look like macs and Microsoft is revamping its entire operating system to emulate mac features but, it will never be better. Vista is a joke becasue Microsoft computers are going to crashing left and right trying to run mac like features. By the time you upgrade your computer enough to be able to run Vista properly, you might as well get a mac (which are not that expensive anymore) and get the real thing.

Number 3- macs dont need constant costly upgrading. like i said before, in 9 years my dad has only put about 400 dollars into his computer and good chunk of that was adding more hardrive room.

Last edited:
WHAT? Number 1, macs dont get viruses. Number 2, PCs aren't going to better than macs anytime in the near future. PCs are trying to look like macs and Microsoft is revamping its entire operating system to emulate mac features but, it will never be better. Vista is a joke becasue Microsoft computers are going to crashing left and right tryning to run mac like features. By the time you upgrade your computer enough to be able to run Vista properly, you might as well get a mac (which are not that expensive anymore) and get the real thing.

Well, Number 1, Read my 2nd post. Number 2., Yes PC's ARE going to get WAY better than Macs. Microsoft IS NOT trying to emulate Mac whatsoever. They dont need to alter there operating system. I really wish I could tell you what they were doing because you wouldnt say half the things you are saying. When you upgrade, I automatically think MAC, do you know why? They need to be updated frequently as I have mentioned before.
Trust me, I used to love Macs, but now since I have found out what windows are doing, not anymore.

Peace
AGR

that's emulation and doesn't make sense to me, why first spend extra money on a Mac and then emulate a PC on it (which will decrease performance) when you could have got a PC for less?
because mac apps such as iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Gargage Band, Time Machine and a host of other apps are better than thier pc counterparts.

And, if you price a mac and a pc to the same specs, macs are cheaper. (try it yourself)

i don't know what you guys are talking about. I HAVE never got a virus on a mac, i have never heard of anyone who has, being a technician for a windows or PC store would say different, thats why there always fixing VIRUS filled PC's. it is because the OS is built well. Windows is horrible. Tiger has things such as expose' and hot corners. and now with Leaopord on the way, we will see amazing things. VISTA is a straight up copy of Tiger, like the widgets and all were copied. and about the mac OS having virus protection software, it's just windows based software companies trying to take advantage of people who are new to mac. WHen i was in retail for apple, i never once told someone to buy Norton ANTI-virus. It is simply not needed. i do however respect microsoft for the 360 as that is the only Microsoft product along with Office: mac that i use. Lets see, Logic is amazing, Final Cut Pro HD kills that adobe crap for windows, and when you buy a mac you get ilife 06 which is just amazing. iPhoto, there is nothing like it for windows.

please show me where i can get a virus for a mac without opening a file then typing in my system password. You see thats the difference between windows and mac, a mac is smart, and is built in a UNIX based oporating system. And i do not work for them anymore, so no this isn't just because I work there. I download torrents, and i've never gotten a virus, i have movies and over 5000 songs in my itunse with no problems, it works with every thing. never had any problems in the last 4 years with any of the macs in our house.

-Wes

Last edited:
because mac apps such as iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Gargage Band, Time Machine and a host of other apps are better than thier pc counterparts.

And, if you price a mac and a pc to the same specs, macs are cheaper. (try it yourself)

What you are saying is partially true. But PC's are now becoming more advanced. New programs such as Propeller Head 4 will be coming out for PC's soon. Thats the program I cant wait for, its supposed to be the best mixer program on the market (it better be its a 500$ program!), WAY better than 3. This program will not be compatible with Macs though. I called the guy from Windows and I have permission to say a little more about what they are doing. They are actually going to completely alter the Windows program and it will be better. They are NOT however, going to change the opperating system though. I checked and made sure. They are making the new Windows completely fresh and brand new, free of all viruses that only will effect the old Windows. Thats all I am able to tell you right now, but you will hear more about this in the near future.

Peace
AGR

i don't know what you guys are talking about. I HAVE never got a virus on a mac, i have never heard of anyone. it is because the OS is built well. Windows is horrible. Tiger has things such as expose' and hot corners. and now with Leaopord on the way, we will see amazing things. VISTA is a straight up copy of Tiger, like the widgets and all were copied. and about the mac OS having virus protection software, it's just windows based software companies trying to take advantage of people who are new to mac. WHen i was in retail for apple, i never once told someone to buy Norton ANTI-virus. It is simply not needed. i do however respect microsoft for the 360 as that is the only Microsoft product along with Office: mac that i use. Lets see, Logic is amazing, Final Cut Pro HD kills that adobe crap for windows, and when you buy a mac you get ilife 06 which is just amazing. iPhoto, there is nothing like it for windows.

please show me where i can get a virus for a mac without opening a file then typing in my system password. You see thats the difference between windows and mac, a mac is smart, and is built in a UNIX based oporating system. And i do not work for them anymore, so no this isn't just because I work there. I download torrents, and i've never gotten a virus, i have movies and over 5000 songs in my itunse with no problems, it works with every thing. never had any problems in the last 4 years with any of the macs in our house.

-Wes

All I have to say is wait a couple more years and see whats going to happen. Just wait....

Peace
AGR

Back