new guy needs advice on drum to engrave

engravertom

Hi everyone!

My first post, although I have browsed a bit. I am a professional engraver who also plays drums. I am looking for a drum to engrave. I like the Black Beauty, but am thinking about one of the Ludwig smooth bronze drums with the tube lugs. I could engrave with the traditional wiggle style engraving, but would rather engrave in a way that is more traditional from the engraving side of things. I am hoping to do some scroll work, and maybe some other designs/images.

here is a design style I am considering

picture.php

I am also considering building a drum with an aluminum shell, and engraving that. I wonder about potential re sale value though. I suppose a recognized name would be a better choice to start with?

I am hoping to break some new ground , as I haven't yet come across any engraved drums other than those done with the wiggle style of engraving, which is very common on musical instruments. That type of engraving is also occasionally done on the types of things I typically engrave in my work, but the engraved line type of work I most often do allows for a lot more detail. I have seen etchings in this style on drums, or laser engravings, but not actual hand cut engraving like I hope to try.

Just back into drumming the past 2 years after a very long time away from it, so I hope to learn about the playing side of things too.

Thanks for any input or thoughts on the subject of engraved drums!

(Oh, I am not against doing traditional styles too. I do restoration work also, and the history of engraving on drums fascinates me. )

Great idea !

Yeah, if your interested in re-sale value, I would use a popular brand like a Ludwig black beauty.

I think for the first one you should engrave something simple to see how it goes.

Even though I don't think it is actually engraved into the metal, I like this one:

13384047862178.jpg

Almost all of the engraving in the market is done by one guy by the name of John Aldridge. I ran into him once... super, super nice guy! Check out this - http://www.drummercafe.com/music-in...-with-master-drum-engraver-john-aldridge.html - he does a lot of Black Beauty's, probably including the one in the last post. I don't know of anybody else who does hand engraving (or any engraving for that matter). He's your competition, so get out there and shake things up!

I met John at NAMM 2013.

He presented an engraved snare to Alan White.

Great idea !

Yeah, if your interested in re-sale value, I would use a popular brand like a Ludwig black beauty.

I think for the first one you should engrave something simple to see how it goes.

Even though I don't think it is actually engraved into the metal, I like this one:

13384047862178.jpg

That is an example of an ECHED drum shell,not engraving.Eching can be done through the use of abrasives like sand,amonia compounds or glass beads or chemicals like sulfiric acids.That process,does remove a small

Steve B

That is beautiful engraving in your post- is that your work? Looks great! I think a Black Beauty would look great, and I agree about the bronze with tube lugs. A plain old Supraphonic with bad pitting would be a great start also. Easy to take it down to bare aluminum and engrave that. Also would turn an otherwise neglected snare into a work of art. I have a perfect specimen for that project!

Thanks everybody!

yes that is my work.

I have contemplated wood drums also. Sometimes, I have to engrave inlays set in to wood gunstocks. I have wondered about dong something like that on a wooden drum shell It could be one inlay with the makers name and some decorative work, or a series of decorative panels around the whole drum. If I could find a source for unplated steel hardware, I could engrave the Lugs, and then have it plated, or color case hardened, or whatever. Lots of possibilities, but I have to just try something to begin with, and see how it goes.

I suppose even metal overlays could be tacked onto a drum like the "labels" on the Yamaha Beech Customs my nephew gave me for Christmas. They look like aluminum that was epoxied or other wise affixed to the shell.

Thanks for the input. I welcome any further thoughts, and when I get going on a project, I'll let you all see it develop.

Interesting project idea Tom, I love a good engraving job just a fantastic medium. Not quite steel but Ego drum supply offers unfinished aluminum lugs. I don't think they make their own hoops though. All Star drum works makes raw shells and lugs also. I hear ordering from Ego can take a little while especially if you're ordering an unusual finish. I haven't ordered anything from Allstar but they're very friendly and quick to reply to emails.

http://www.egodrumsupply.com/

http://www.allstardrum.com/

Good to hear that someone else is considering drum engraving. There are very few highly skilled drum engravers out there other than John Aldridge and AK (apologies if I am omitting any but these are the primary engravers that I am aware of; not sure if Reed Smith is still engraving drums although he did some Black Beauties for Ludwig). Would love to see what you come up with!

Bob Campbell

Back