SKII to EMAD2: A Love Story

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
So, I've used the Aquarian Super Kick II for the past 4 years. I loved the clicky and focused sound I got out of it - great for the metal and proggy styles I played.
Recently I changed to an EMAD2, and I gotta say: WOW!
This head simply floored me with its sound. With an 18x22 bass drum, muffled with a small pillow and same tuning as the SKII, the EMAD2 takes the cake. This is by far my new bass head of choice; it has a wonderful attack, but supports this with a healthy dose of low-end.
The attack becomes more pronounced with quick footwork, but the low end doesn't make it muddy.

Compared directly to the SKII, I'd say the EMAD2 has more attack and low-end, while the SKII fills out more of a middle ground, while still having that pronounced attack.
That, and the ability to change the amount of muffling on the EMAD2 make it a diverse option.
So for anyone considering with an SKII considering the EMAD2, I strongly urge you to try it out - you just might fall in love like me! :p

Cheers!

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone can get such different experiences with gear!

I recently went the other way... EMAD to SKII and was equally floored with the great sound - yet in favour of the SKII !! I finally got all the muffling out of the drum and just rely on the the heads alone. My kick has never sounded bigger.

BUT, I'm pleased you have found that 'wow' moment... it's always such a great feeling :)

I really like the Emads a lot. It's been my BD head choice for the last few years without a doubt. I am considering trying out the SK2 tho. What's the worse that will come out of it? If I don't care for it as much as the Emad, then it'll do well as a spare as I always carry a spare BD head and snare reso and batter when ever I'm gigging.

I can see what u like from the Emad 2 tho Beam me up Scotty. They're great heads. But u also may have gotten very used to and slightly bored of the sound u were getting from the SK2. That happens to me usually ever 3 years with Tom heads. I may look into grabbing the Aquarian super 2's for my Toms in the near future.

I'm currently using a 20"x18" BD. The SK2 might be what I need. It would probably work well with zero muffling in my particular BD.

Back