My Sonor Teardrop

Jake[BE]

My Teardrop set from 1964 I just finished cleaning up. I am still missing two lugs, two BD screws and 2 BD claws, hence the wrinkles in the BD reso.
The sizes are 20x14" BD, 13x8" TT, 16x14.5" FT, 14x5" SD, the colour is white marine pearl.
I haven't been able to play it however because I'm still missing a few heads, as well as the aforementioned parts. :(

Teardrop_WMP_1964_7.jpg

Teardrop_WMP_1964_9.jpg

Teardrop_WMP_1964_10.jpg

Vintage is definitley a cool way to go. I wanna hear that once you get those heads haha. Looks great.

Sweet little kit. I'd love to own a sick four piece like this one. That's too bad about the parts, have you gone to the sonor museum and asked about the lugs there? I'd really love to see this kit fully assembled.

Beautiful. It's nice to see a slightly more unusual vintage kit than the usual Ludwig/Gretsch kits (not that there's anything wrong with those) and the old Sonors are really wonderful.

Ahhh beautiful, those vintage Sonor drums. Aren`t them made from beech wood? I once read something like that.

I also really like the white marine pearl, it has got a slight yellow-tone over the years...this makes them look "authentic".
Hope you get the missing parts soon, the wait would definitly make me impatient with such a great set of drums!

Karl

As I was admiring this kit I noticed something odd. Although you did say you're missing some bass drum lugs/claws, the lug placement seems to suggest six per head on the bass. (??) And yet the floor tom has 8 per head?? Bizarre.

Yeah. From what I gather older Teardrop sets used 6 lugs for bass drums. Later models had 8. And the wait is ok, I suppose. Technically I could play the snare and 13" already, but I vouched to wait until the entire thing was ready to thump ^^

The shells are 3ply beech with reinforcement rings and super round bearing edges. The sunlight also washed out the colour a bit, in reality the set is more of a yellow marine pearl :p

Beautiful "working man's" vintage kit. Get that puppy on the "playing field. Old school trick. Measure the distance (center to center) of the lug holes. Get any old aftermarket lug that will fit. Install those batter side bottom of the kick. 2 claws (anything that looks close) and tension rods and you're good to thump. I love the 13x8 rack tom. ( hyperdrive fusion fast tom vintage style)

Yeah. From what I gather older Teardrop sets used 6 lugs for bass drums. Later models had 8. And the wait is ok, I suppose. Technically I could play the snare and 13" already, but I vouched to wait until the entire thing was ready to thump ^^

The shells are 3ply beech with reinforcement rings and super round bearing edges. The sunlight also washed out the colour a bit, in reality the set is more of a yellow marine pearl :p

3-Ply Beech shells are what made Sonor famous. That's probably a rather special kit you have there.

It is finished! I received the two missing lugs earlier this week from St drums. Still missing 1 T-rod and two claws but fixed that by using a long slotted Sonor Tension rod and two other claws. It sounds absolutely fantastic. The more I play it the more I love it. Coated ambassadors everywhere except the kick batter (Fiberskyn Powerstroke 3) and the snare reso obviously. Thinking of switching to fiberskyn batters however, the sound is just a tad too open for my tastes, especially the floor tom.

TeardropBinnen1.jpg

TeardropBinnen2.jpg

Yes, I thought about ST since they`re pretty local (Germany as well) and my teacher recommended him.
Later I contacted another drum builder from Germany who knows Gerd very well. Everything seems to be one connection. =)

Glad you got your lugs so quickly, enjoy your set!

Karl

Back