Stanton Moore here

Re: Stanton Moore

Blimey O'Reilly - just got my ears round Galactic's 'Hamp's Hump' -- ooh that's a badass groove!

I heard him on a sweet song,

"Sprung Monkey"
i think it was on drummerworld
it is a rad song!

anyone else read his rythm magazine interveiw. it was very good, but better than that was an awsome picture of him playing. i know this is said about tons of drummers, but i am being dead serious when i say ths. you could not see his arms. they were just gone. thats how much effort and groove he was putting in. one of the funkiest drummers i've seen, and i've only ever seen short clips of him.

the video of him playing with sprung monkey on drummerworld is so cool!

I see this guy all over MD and never heard him play
I will check out some videos of him now

Stanton's pocket is so deep - it hangs to the knees.

Drummer Karl said:
Stanton is an icredible drummer!!! I love his style, full of good emotions...since I`ve seen his videos I wanna have a little Gretsch with jazz cymbals...

Hee hee... and that is just exactly what I did!

Does any of you have an idea how did he play the beat in Things Fall Apart starting 2:41 ??? (drum'n'bass somethin')

mann i always knew stanton could really groove (and play too you see hints of something more in little bits of his dvd)

and then i got a galactic cd today

absolutely amazing. i'm floored!

Stanton Moore

this guy is one of my favorite drummers of all time, I love his style and how its so unique to the world of drumming today. what do you guys think of him? has he influenced anyone else like he has me?

Corey

i finally got moore into stanton moore (hehe), and his new influence has really elevated my own playing. get some Galactic cds (Ruckus and Vintage Reserve are great). he added that missing funk and concentration on groove i was missing

oh yeah and do a search before starting a new thread. the real stanton moore thread is halfway down the page, and i think i was the last one to post on it.

Stanton Moore is one of my favourite drummers of all time. I love his playing! Groovy, funky, deeeeeeeeeep pocket. I have both of his dvd's and his book. Amazing....simply amazing!

Last edited:

Yes Stanton Moore is the STUFF! But I keep seeing words like "deep pocket" and "unique". While I AM NOT an awesome drummer there ARE drummers doing the same thing in bands called "jam bands". I have been in jam bands all of my musical career and a lot of my peers are doing close to/if not the same kinda funk/jazz/rag stuff that Stanton does. I am NOT knocking Stanton at all, his delivery and timing are incredible even though I saw a few flubs at the shows I went to, we all flub somewhere. And yes he has inspired me to become a better drummer but the fact is others are doing the same and are just not as famous. Please dont blast me for my opinion....

Refried Confusion(defunct)
Kynda(defunct)
Funkus
Shak Nasti
Zen Fishcamp
Crazy Otto
are my local jambands, check out yours you'll be surprised

while i do take your point on board, and wholeheartedly agree that jamband drummers do deserve more recognition you have to understand that Stanton is in a league of his own making.

This guy was born and bred on new orleans stuff. so what? there are loads of classy new orleans drummers. this is true but if you look at his dvds you see how totally immersed and well versed in many different styles/genres this guy is and how he's able to mix em all up and make them so unique. I could not have mor erespect for him even on an intellectual basis because of his vast knowledge of so many styles and his ablitily to incorporate them so easily into his playing.

Not meaning to offend just saying, that's what i think differentiates him from so many other jamband drummers.

Breadmonkey, I respect your opinion and thanx for not blasting mine...You rock!!
Yet never forget Mickey Hart or Bill Kreutzmann who together as a team are unstopable yet as singular drummers are still well versed in many rythms and techniques. Also there is Louie Bellson who IS one of the best on the planet who even filled in for Buddy Richs' band when buddy fell ill, he can play any signature in any time frame he decides. Also, it IS hard to impress me as a drummer because I have heard alot of music from different eras and some of the guys who are the founding fathers of modern drumming are just so darn good and well versed in their instrument as well as styles and genre. I am just too darn hard to impress, sorry....

BUT,
Yes he is quick at his decision making when it comes to changing up on his patterns and I liked the band, Galatic, as a whole so I caught 3 shows and bought some cd's.

Last edited:

I just got the Corrosion of Conformity CD with SM on it: In the Arms of God.

His playing reminds me a lot os Black Sabbath's Bill Ward, ie very much in the groove without too much flash.

The last minute or two oif Paranoid Opoid are just incredible, it's like he switches to some other time signature while the band carries on with 4/4 goes way off and eventually swivels back around - amazing!

Re: sprung monkey

Stanton Moore's book and CD TAKE IT TO THE STREETS contains a whole section on LLRLRLRR with a break down of the main feel of Sprung Monkey, and many more cool sticking variations for lots of other beats. Well worth the $$.

Re: sprung monkey

You know... that's pretty simple thing. As it was said, you use the LLRLRLRR sticking while playing left hand on a drum situated left of the snare drum: pandeiro (like Stanton does) or just a floor tom (like I'm doin' ;)). Right plays snare drum on the second R and the rest R's are hi-hats or cowbell.To be precise, you play bass drum like that:
L L R L R L R R L L R L R L R R There ya go! ;)
B.............. B...... B........... (B)

Back