Dave Grohl Super Group

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
The Sound City Players, a brand new supergroup formed by Dave Grohl, has announced its star-studded line-up - and it's a doozy.

Joining Grohl in the band will be Nirvana's Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear, Creedence Clearwater Revival's John Fogerty, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett from Foo Fighters, Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen and Rage Against The Machine sticksman Brad Wilk.

The new group will play on January 18th at the Sundance Film Festival to celebrate Grohl's new documentary about the Sound City recording studios in Van Nuys, California.

Oh, to possess a ticket for this show...

Not long ago I was wondering what happened to Krist Novoselic, hadn't heard much of him lately.

Also a fan of Brad Wilk, happy to see him in the light again.

Go Dave!

How cool is it that he gets to do pretty much whatever he wants with whoever he wants? Not too many drummers can just call up the living legends and put something totally fun together. You'd be hard-pressed to find a rock star from any generation that wouldn't jump at the chance to play with the guy.

I think that's part of why he's my favorite drummer even though he's nowhere near any kind of "best" by standard technical metrics - though I really dig his energy and feel.

Of course, he's not just a drummer and that's obviously got a lot to do with it ... I'm such a fanboy!

Busy drum riser.

John Fogerty and Rick Nielsen add a very interesting element to an otherwise pretty contemporary lineup. Not two names I'd expect to hear mentioned alongside a guy like Dave Grohl to be honest.

Although I still would have much preferred another TCV album and tour. Still blown away by the quality of that gig.

Busy drum riser.

John Fogerty and Rick Nielsen add a very interesting element to an otherwise pretty contemporary lineup. Not two names I'd expect to hear mentioned alongside a guy like Dave Grohl to be honest.

Although I still would have much preferred another TCV album and tour. Still blown away by the quality of that gig.

I thought the same thing. Is Fogerty going to be the lead singer? Do they have an album, or are they just going to do songs from each member's past like Ringo does with his All Starr Band?

Surprising to hear Krist Noveselic is doing anything music related these days. I thought he became an accountant or manager or something. He's not looking so good these days....

Don't think it'll come close to Them Crooked Vultures though. That's my favorite Grohl group..
if you haven't already, check out Grohl's drumming on Killing Joke's self-titled CD from 2001 (I think). Grohl was the last guy to track so it was a play-along for him and he rips it up pretty good, IMO.

Now that I think of it, his playing on King Buzzo's solo-"Gene Simmons" Kiss-inspired Melvins EP ('92?) was super zen-like solid and energetic as all giddyup.

Sounds like a one-time thing to me. Legendary American treasure John Fogerty is in a stratospheric class all by himself. For him to be second fiddle to anyone seems illogical.

I'm excited to hear Brad Wilk. He was an early influence of mine, as RATM was a band I was huge into when I first started playing.

Don't think it'll come close to Them Crooked Vultures though. That's my favorite Grohl group..

Agree about Brad, good to see him again, I was worried he'd disappear now that Rage seem to have died a death.

The SoundCity movie looks pretty cool all around, definitely a labour of love for Dave, there has also been an associated Sirius XM radio show that I stumbled across the other day, where Dave chats about some the bands recorded at the studios, with additional anecdotes very cool.

Strangely enough, just reading an article about Black Sabbath Drummers that DrumEatDrum kindly posted up here, and it appears that Brad Wilk drummed on the new upcoming Black Sabbath album 13.

Dave is my guy for sure. He's a solid hard hitting drummer, and gets name checked by many other drummers for his simple powerful style. But it's his personality that's made him so many famous friends. He's just a nice welcoming guy and can hang with anyone. He's such a likable nice guy, nobody has anything against him, plus he's humble. That's why people just shake their head at why Courtney Love hates him so much. Not to get into it, but I think she has some serious issues with him unrelated to the real person he is. I can't wait to see Sound City.

... I can't wait to see Sound City.

I watched it last week. Pretty awesome if you like rock history, and studio talk. I though tit was great. I'd like to see Dave do some acting. He's very charismatic and definitely has a great sense of humor.

That's why people just shake their head at why Courtney Love hates him so much. Not to get into it, but I think she has some serious issues with him unrelated to the real person he is.

I think she just doesn't like to admit she has no talent and Dave wrote "her" music for her.

They couldn't come up with a better and more exciting group name than that??

Back