Meinl Cajon beatbox

Herbie

I am thinking of getting a cajon box for christmas, and would like some opinions on this product

I am thinking of getting a cajon box for christmas, and would like some opinions on this product

While I am a fan of many of Meinl's products, such as their congas and djembes, I cannot recommend their cajons compared to others I have tried. They just feel weak... no resonance, weak bass, and the cajons with the snare throwoff knobs or pedals never seem to work very well on the ones I try.

I personally have been using an LP slanted front cajon, but I am actively looking for a better one. Many around here have recommended Schlagwerk, which I have never got my hands on.

I would recommend trying a few cajons out in real life to get an idea of what you should be looking for. I simply feel like the Meinl cajons you find in GC or other shops are not worth the money.

I agree most are better. I have one ($99 with gig bag) and it does sound flat compaired to the better ones. I have jammed with it into a PA (one Shure sm57 pointed into the sound hole) and with a little EQ and some mild reverb it really came alive.

Better would sound better straight away. If you are never planning on gigging it then yeah, it might just cut it. If you are planning on gigging I would make a better investment.

Try an LP Aspire ACCENT- very good bass and snare (uses 3 actual snares).
This is a sleeper compared to others both more expensive and moderate.

Try an LP Aspire ACCENT- very good bass and snare (uses 3 actual snares).
This is a sleeper compared to others both more expensive and moderate.

I just bought this one in the midnight blue Saturday. It's great, but I have never tries a professional one. It will serve my needs perfectly, though.

Old thread but a good question if OP is still around.

The pedal is okay. It is functional. You are not going to rip off rapid double, nor should you want to. The strap drive is decent. It took about 10 minutes of adjustment to get it to play correctly but it has been locked and loaded for 6 full sets and didn't give me an ounce of trouble. For what I paid new, this pedal is a steal.

Back