Attack heads are for real

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I recently put a set 12/13/16 of 1-ply Attack heads and studio rings on the GP drums that I use with the garage band. I have to say, these heads are sounding great so far. Couldn't be more happier, and this is a Groove Percussion set no less.

I got my Tama set at the studio and it has coated Emps on the 12/13/16 toms. They're over a year old and I'm thinking of changing them out. I could just replace the Emps with more Emps since I like that sound, but because I read this website, I have all these other ideas floating around in my head. I really want to try the Black Chrome on my Tama kit too. But now, after playing these Attack heads, the practical side of me thinks that the price is right (about half that of BC's) and Attack heads are the way to go.

I haven't tried the Attack coated batter on a snare yet, but the 1-ply clear heads work great with studio rings (I prefer that sound with the rings). I was only considering the BC's because I think I need something a little darker with more punch than what the Emps provide. However, the Attack heads give me that sound I like, and for half the price, I can live with it.

So what are your experiences with Attack heads, or even Black Chrome heads? Just curious.

I've given Attack a go many times in the past and I can honestly say - you get what you pay for. They tuned up just fine, and they definitely have a somewhat Remo-like tonality to them, if you like that. I've historically preferred Aquarian and Evans, tonally.

However, the durability seems to be an issue. I tried a myriad of Attack's 14" snare heads (regular medium weight, Terry Bozzio Signature, and Jeff Ocheltree Old School) on my go-to snare (14" x 5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple with re-rings). The coating wore considerably after 15 minutes of moderate-level playing on the regular medium-weight coated. Not to mention, the coating rubbed off onto all of my clear tom heads and cymbals. Never had an issue with that with Remo, Evans or Aquarian's coating.

I switched it out for the Bozzio head. I thought it sounded a little better, overall, but the coating issue remained the same for that... and with the Ocheltree Old School.

After realizing that the coating just wasn't going to last on any of them, I put the medium weight back on, got it back in tune and went about my merry way of playing. After a couple days, all the life and tone went out of that head... and I did NOT play it that much.

I concluded that, for me, this experiment proved that while Attack is nearly 1/2 the price of the Big 3, I would have to change them out more frequently to get the amount of tone I want to get out of my Tama Starclassic Maple kit.

Your mileage may vary.

Also, if you like a low, dark, almost thuddy sound, I think the Black Chromes aren't a horrible choice. They're certainly more lively than, say, a Hydraulic. I'd personally go for a set of clear or coated EC2s, or Onyx (they only come in coated), so they still sound like drums and not a bunch of boxy-sounding objects you hit with sticks.

Here's a really good Black Chrome demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btrh8M-dh74

I personally really like my Onyx's. That's saying something because I don't like coated heads.

Also, on topic, one of my bass drums came with an Attack single ply head with built in muffling. I've been think about the EMAD Heavyweight but the Attack sounds too good.

I've given Attack a go many times in the past and I can honestly say - you get what you pay for. They tuned up just fine, and they definitely have a somewhat Remo-like tonality to them, if you like that. I've historically preferred Aquarian and Evans, tonally.

However, the durability seems to be an issue. I tried a myriad of Attack's 14" snare heads (regular medium weight, Terry Bozzio Signature, and Jeff Ocheltree Old School) on my go-to snare (14" x 5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple with re-rings). The coating wore considerably after 15 minutes of moderate-level playing on the regular medium-weight coated. Not to mention, the coating rubbed off onto all of my clear tom heads and cymbals. Never had an issue with that with Remo, Evans or Aquarian's coating.

I switched it out for the Bozzio head. I thought it sounded a little better, overall, but the coating issue remained the same for that... and with the Ocheltree Old School.

After realizing that the coating just wasn't going to last on any of them, I put the medium weight back on, got it back in tune and went about my merry way of playing. After a couple days, all the life and tone went out of that head... and I did NOT play it that much.

I concluded that, for me, this experiment proved that while Attack is nearly 1/2 the price of the Big 3, I would have to change them out more frequently to get the amount of tone I want to get out of my Tama Starclassic Maple kit.

Your mileage may vary.

Interesting. I'm glad I asked. I don't like it when we spend all that money for coated heads and the coating comes off too quick. That's why I don't use coated Ambs on my snare anymore.

I wouldn't say that the Attack heads have worn out yet, but they only get played about 4-5 hours per week.

Also, if you like a low, dark, almost thuddy sound, I think the Black Chromes aren't a horrible choice. They're certainly more lively than, say, a Hydraulic. I'd personally go for a set of clear or coated EC2s, or Onyx (they only come in coated), so they still sound like drums and not a bunch of boxy-sounding objects you hit with sticks.

I've tried EC2's before. I'm not a big fan. They are OK, but it's a generic drum sound to me. I may just go with the Black Chrome after all.

I personally really like my Onyx's. That's saying something because I don't like coated heads.

Also, on topic, one of my bass drums came with an Attack single ply head with built in muffling. I've been think about the EMAD Heavyweight but the Attack sounds too good.

Can't see the video at work, dang it. The Onyx are a good idea too, but I want to try the BC'c first because they have a clear ply over the black one. That means no black marks on my cymbals.

I tried single ply Attacks on my toms and I liked 'em. In fact I liked them better than all of the others (too many to list) that I tried on my toms. They were durable and tuned easy. Best of all was the sound... bright very bright.

I tried Attack years ago after playing Evans for awhile. I switched because of their prices, but I love the sound, they wear great, and I have never had an issue with 1-ply coated head on my snares. The coating lasts and lasts. It's a different coating than Remo uses. It seems like it is not a coating at all, but is part of the head itself.

I still use Evans black resos on my toms. If Attack made black ones I'd use them.

I tried single ply Attacks on my toms and I liked 'em. In fact I liked them better than all of the others (too many to list) that I tried on my toms. They were durable and tuned easy. Best of all was the sound... bright very bright.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember you saying so in another thread. It is the sound that makes these great heads. I've not had a durability issue yet, but I don't hit quite as hard as a lot of other guys. I think I try the Black Chromes once though because I want to try them at least once. I've never had black heads before, and I think they look cool as well, but I wouldn't try them unless I liked the sound too. You say the Attack heads are really bright, which is interesting because with the sound rings, I think they are a little darker and punchier than the coated Emps I use. That's what drew me to the Black Chrome heads. I'm also considering Response 2 heads, but I'm afraid they may not be much different than the Emps.

Yes, I saw this video last week in fact. I liked the sound I heard. They sound great to me. I like the tone with the short sustain, and like I said, the punchy sound is what I'm after, not the classic singing drum sound. To me, that type of sound is reserved for high-end drums like Gurus.

Well, I still haven't tried the Black Chrome heads yet, but I finally used the 1-ply medium coated Attck head that I've had laying around for awhile. I put it on my new Ludwig Element birch snare. It sounds absolutely great. I replaced the stock head, which was ok, but a little thin. Now it has punchiness, some snap and a bright attack (like the name of the heads). Could use maybe a moongel if you're playing the drum alone, but you don't even notice the slight ring when playing the kit. Besides it's a nice birch drum so the overtones are pleasing, not cringeworthy.

Your mileage may vary.

I started not to comment at all on the quality of Attack heads since it's been years since I tried them - a number of them on various sets. Until I saw your post, my assumption was that they surely had improved with the years, but your experience mirrors mine exactly. I simply could not believe that a drum head could go totally dead in so short a period of time and with so little use. So I've never used them again. Maybe they've gotten better, I don't know.

Geedeeemm

I started not to comment at all on the quality of Attack heads since it's been years since I tried them - a number of them on various sets. Until I saw your post, my assumption was that they surely had improved with the years, but your experience mirrors mine exactly. I simply could not believe that a drum head could go totally dead in so short a period of time and with so little use. So I've never used them again. Maybe they've gotten better, I don't know.

Geedeeemm

I bought a set of Attack 1-ply clears for a GP set I was playing back when I started this thread. I used them for over a year (with sound rings) and never noticed them sounding dead or flat. I've since had to give that set back to the owner. Now I'll have to watch this coating issue, and thanks to you guys, now I'm unsure about buying more Attack heads. I might just stick with my original idea of using Aquarian Classic Clears on my toms. It will depend on how this snare head holds up.

I currently have Black Chromes on my toms after playing with EC2s for several years. Compared to the EC2s they have a tad bit more sustain and a slightly warmer tone. Obviously they are comparable to Remo Ebony Emperors, but the Black Chromes are definitely more durable. These heads can really take a beating!

Back