Joey Jordison

wow just been listening to Roadrunner United. Give it a listen, some tracks have joey drumming and gees is it different from the normal Joey,. head over to www.roadrun.com/rrunited/ and listen to annihilation by the hands of god in the download section. thats more of a comparion point between Flo and Joey.

Yea the other 2, huh they dont even need them, i watched aDVD of them carefully and like NJ couldnt hear them at all! They r only taking the others profits! But when a band is that big you cant really kick them out, or u can of course u can but its really hard i rekon, and they're prob all good mates. But if Joey used his drumming in other styles he would be one of my favs, cause hes just so good! So talented, i dont like metal, but i can just so easily appreciate wat he does to drumming.

He is up there with my favourite drummers.
Just watching him on the double bass is mesmirizing.
Has anyone seen the video of him perform Enter Sandman with Metalica, it shows that he isnt all about hard hitting (allthough not the best band to proove that.) Behind that mask is a very crafty drummer.
Dan

Joey actually did fill in for Lars Ulrich at a Metallica concert in Britain, funked_up. I think Lars had to be hospitalized in Germany for whatever health reasons, and since the rest of the guys didn't want to dissapoint 75,000 fans, they had Lars' drum tech, Dave Lombardo, and Joey Jordison fill in. It was supposed to be pretty cool, but I haven't seen any vids of them.
If someone has access to them, then post it please!

Yea, please put them up. And what a great drummer to chose for a fill-in. When Slipknot played a show in melbourne not long ago there were all of the normal reps from radio stations there like normal, but when this guy went back to the radio station to sota talk about the show he said that when he was backstage (these ppl always have backstage acces don't they! Un-fair) he said he bumped into the lead singer corey taylor and Joey and they had their masks off and they just came up to him and in a real sort-of sqeaky, fast strong US accent said. "Yeeaa that was a real good show wasn't it. I thought it was pretty good show. What do you rekon. It was pretty good wasn't it." When i heard that on the radio i was pissing myself. But that just prooves that a mask can be very deceiveing.

By the way i did Not go to the show.

One thing we all seem to agree on:
He's good at what he does. Maybe not the best, but good. He's popular because of it, and he pleases the crowd. Isn't that important, as an entertainer? He doesn't have to be a demi-godlike player. to be successful. Just give him some respect for making it by doing what he likes well.
Peace.
-Drew

PS
I hate Slipknot's music. But still, they need some props for being successful.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
The reason I prefer Flo is because he demonstrates ruthless efficiency, at insane speed and in some very odd time signatures. I have all the respect for Joey; he is a very, very good drummer with some very good skills and a back catalogue to prove it (however much I actually despise Slipknot).

I just honestly think that Flo has more technical efficiency and technique. I'm sure Joey could do an admirable job at odd time signatures but has never *really* had the opportunity to expand into that particular facet of playing. Flo on the other hand has clearly demonstrated his ability.

You don't need to be ambivalent, Flourent is and will always be more effective than Jordison, faster, technical and even more flourishing.

Compare the latest record with Slipknot and compare it with Cryptopsys "Once Was Not". Flourent devastates Jordison.

Cant see that myself. When i see flo fill in for as many bands as jordison has and when i find what Flo plays more entertaining then sure i will say what i hear but at the moment to be honest in my oppinion Flo doesnt do it for me as much as Jordison does. Obviously some people havent listened to a wide range of Joey's Playing. All i have heard from Flo is fast playing which i have also heard from possibly 20 or more drummers. The fact is who is more successfull? sure he is in Slipknot so people are gonna like him beacuse of that but what about people like Lombardo who would you say is best known Lombardo or Jordison?. Just think of how long those two drummer have been playing and work it out from there.

Sticksman said:
Joey actually did fill in for Lars Ulrich at a Metallica concert in Britain, funked_up. I think Lars had to be hospitalized in Germany for whatever health reasons, and since the rest of the guys didn't want to dissapoint 75,000 fans, they had Lars' drum tech, Dave Lombardo, and Joey Jordison fill in. It was supposed to be pretty cool, but I haven't seen any vids of them.
If someone has access to them, then post it please!
haha joey said it was teh most boring thing hes ever done in his life

I don't really like Joey Jordison. He uses too much bass (in my opinion). I get a headache before I can finish a song.

I like Watching him live but I'm not a very big Slipknot fan I just like Joey. There's nothing wrong with his solo's Any Slipknot fan would want to hear a hard bashing, Fast double bass all out fast solo.

If you ask me then i think joey is a very good drummer, i am a huge fan of slipknot so i've heard 'em alot. i am what they call a maggot although i've never been to a slipknot concert i've seen videos, listened to their music and he's a great speed drummer but uses bass to much, needs to use the snare a little more. with corey taylor's voice (singer) you can't really keep your attention on anything but the singing i dunno why. if you don't like heavy metal DO NOT listen to this band

The wind himself has spoken, cya.

I'm pretty partial to Joey because I started playing drums while I listened to Slipknot heavily. Because of that, he has been one of my main influences. I think he's got a lot more skill than what's just in his double-bass though. I'm far from an expert, but I believe Joey has got some great chops/grooves and what he plays goes with each song very well.

I agree dude. JOEY IS AMAZING!!!! FACE IT!!!! He's fast, creative, fast......... and fast! Plus he has a cool mask and a great setup.

Hmm...Have to admit, (judging only from the slipknot stuff I have heard, and from the concert I went to), I am not impressed. I have seen so many cool drummers here on drummerworld impress me much more, with much less.

I agree that he is fast, but blazing on the double pedals, and toms, just didnt do it for me.
I honestly preffere Ted Kirkpatrick...he is on moderdrummer.com. Metal drummer with a classic approach. Some of the stuff he does is amazing, and really inventive. His solos really do it for me.

Peace to all who like Joey though...No offence

i must say, he looks almost exactly how i imagined without the mask. back on topic, he seems to be one of those drummers were all his toms and basses sound very similar. i like him a lot as a player, but i don't really go for that drum sound, though i used to.

MY OPINION: Joey is a good drummer for Slipknot. However, if he were to fill in for Carter Beauford at a Dave Matthews Band concert...

The point is that he is proficient at what he does, and most importantly, what he likes doing. I'm sure he and his band just have a great time playing their own music around the world... isn't that most of ours' dream?!

Yes, some of his drumming might get repetitive after awhile, but I owe Joey for getting me into metal drumming; you wouldn't think it, but that stuff requires a good degree of chops and speed, which correlates into skills elsewhere, as time goes on. I do count him as an early influence, and I gotta hand it to him for helping me get where I am now. Learning "The Blister Exists" and "Left Behind" note-for-note wasn't easy for someone who had only been playing about two years, but man, did it help me! Looking back, I'm glad I did it, because it prepared me for genuinely harder stuff, like jazz fusion and prog rock... e.g., Dave Weckl Band and Rush, Dreamtheater, etc...

As it stands, I like Joey Jordison and his drumming, not only because he was an influence when I started getting serious with the drums, but because I like some of the stuff he does... "Liberate" anyone?

i'd probably like slipknot if they werent such a gimmick.I coud do with out all the screaming. I dont really understand why they have like 4 guitarist either, or a mixing table

If you have the chance to listen to Slipknot - Confessions you'll hear how funky he is.
Confessions is not like the usual noise that slipknot is known to make. Most people I play it for don't think it's slipknot :p

Back