Room Concerns for New Home Construction

Steve_tx

Soon I will be purchasing a to be constructed home, so I will be able to customize the construction where needed. What sound minimizing suggestions you can provide for my drum room? Any suggestions welcome, especially from those who have done this type work or are familiar with home construction focused on minimizing sound

Depending on the floor plan I decide on, it may be upstairs or downstairs. I would prefer downstairs, but there are several factors involved, like relation to other rooms, likely the smallest bedroom in the house, etc.

I have read about room in a room, but that is done after construction. I am looking more at while the house is being built. What kind of insulation? Drywall? (I've read about 5/8" and Quietrock) Windows? Flooring? Ceiling?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm a custom home builder. if your trying to sound proof the room use rock wool insulation in the walls, ceiling and floor joist if needed be sure to fill the whole thickness of the stud or joist space also talk to the HVAC man about isolating the supply and return air runs from the main trunk line. quiet rock is ok but i'm not sure it is worth the extra money dont forget to use a solid core door with weather strip

oldrockdrummer,

Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't even thinking about the HVAC lines, that is excellent. I will look into the rock wool. Do you know how it compares to blown cellulose? The builder mentions they use blown cellulose, however I imagine I can substitute rock wool if it is much better.

Here are a couple more suggestions:

Look into using Z-channels between studs and drywall. You can check it out on Google. Also, go to your local library to see if you can check out a copy of the "Architectural Graphic Standards". There are details in there for framing sound walls. There are several methods and they are all relatively inexpensive. If your local library does not have any, the designer of your house should be able to get you the information.

Good luck with your construction!

oldrockdrummer,

Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't even thinking about the HVAC lines, that is excellent. I will look into the rock wool. Do you know how it compares to blown cellulose? The builder mentions they use blown cellulose, however I imagine I can substitute rock wool if it is much better.

blown cellulose is not dense enough the product your looking for is Roxul sound batts look up Roxul products online

Basement....room within a room. Split HVAC system. The room should have no physical connection to the house other than the basement floor! Denis

too much treatment and your room will sound choked sound comes through cracks seal those up and put it on the ground floor so less vibration will travel through your house

I used rockwool and fire grade gyprock (drywall). I would recommend building downstairs to avoid soundproofing the floor. If you're going to spend long periods in there it might be worth fitting a soundproof window to let some natural light in, it may be less soundproof but sometimes I feel a little confined in my studio.

Before you do anything, buy this book:

Build it like the Pros by Rod Gervais

It goes into way more detail than can be covered in any thread, and given the thousands upon thousands of dollars you will have wrapped up in new construction, spending the $32 for a book is well worth it.

You can do a 2nd floor, but keep in mind, the room below will becomes a giant bass trap.
Which is good for preventing bass from flowing outside the building, but you certainly don't want that room be a living room/bedroom.

My studio is over my garage. When it's going on my studio, the whole garage rumbles in low end, yet, walk 10 feet away from the garage (assuming the garage door is closed) and you don't notice the low end.

Keep in mind, your local building codes might not agree with your best laid plans for a sound proof room. Quietrock products are a great get around for this.

Fantastic forum, incredible suggestions. Thanks guys!

A lot has to do with the type of construction. Basement would be a prime location. First floor on slab would be the next. Second floor is going to want to resonated thru the whole structure thru the floor. First floor no slab will be a challenge also.

Rock wool fills the voids in the framing nicely but cellulose is close. If you are downstairs, don't hang the drywall right on the joists. Install perpendicular hat channel and hang the drywall from that. It would also be helpful to do the walls that way. Even though the voids in the framed walls will be filled with insulation, the drywall is nailed/screwed tightly to all the studs and will transfer the vibration. The hat channel limits that contact as the drywall is not even touching the studs.

Wall and floor treatments after construction will also have a lot of impact.

Ductwork may be tricky. If you dont want to go crazy and put it under the slab, simply wrapping the first few feet will surely help.

Back