Simple beat??? Not so much!!

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
I was listening to john mayer's vulture live with Steve Jordan and playing along. Simple beat with a driving hihat. I was like "let me practice some easy indrpendance stuff". Turned music off , kick on 1 and 3 snare on 2 and 4, same eighth note driving hihat and open the hat every 3 1/8th note.
Couldn't do it!! My kick kept on showing up when certain open hihat showed up !!!!
I tried again with 4 on the floor and no problem there. I had to "work at it" to get it going nice and driving with that hihat opening every other 3!!!
Anybody had/has a similar experience with "easy stuff" that isn't that easy ?

Some beats are deceptively hard, others are deceptively easy... never quite figured out why!

Re your beat, if I read it right, you have an open hat an the & of 3 (which then closes on the 4?) Age may play a factor in one's comfort level with this.

When I started lessons in the 1960s, it was standard procedure when playing the ride, to foot-close the hi-hat on 2&4 (sort of a jazz thing, but carried over into '60/'70s rock.) With that concept & practice drilled into me from the start, I don't find it foreign to play an open hat on 3& and close it with my foot on the 4, regardless how complicated - or simple - my right foot pattern might be.

But I was talking about the foot-close on 2&4 with a younger player, and they had no idea it was a thing. Without that embedded 2&4 thing, the hi-hat becomes another independence factor, and requires having to think about where it goes.

I'll bet that if you practice kick on 1&3, snare on 2&4, no right hand, but foot close your hat along with the snare, you'll segue into the Jordan beat quickly and smoothly.

Although if you happen to be old school like me, then there's no excuse. It really is a simple beat. :)

Bermuda

I'm shooting from the hip here, but sounds like we are talking about a Sweet Home Alabama kinda thing here...though the "Artimus Open" is very pronounced.

Damn, Artimus was slick!

Similar, but I think Sweet Home has the bark of the hat on the & of 4.

PS - I saw the Artimus Pyle Band in Asheville NC this summer! Good show.

The open hat is on every 3 1/8th. (I out of 3).
Ex: opine on the and of 1 (before the snare), then on the 3 and then on the and of 4 , then on the 2 , and of 3 and then on the next 1.

X . . X . . X . . X . . X . . X . .
S. S. S S
K. K. K K
I could just write it and take a pic but don't know how to post a pic on here.

Hmmm, really don't understand it now...

I lined up the "k" and "s" under the right position and it all came together.
Basically , kick snare kick snare.
Hi hat every 1/8th. Open hi hat 1 time closed twice.

Oxxoxxoxxoxx on the hats.

So if you were playing the hi hats (nothing else) as triplets the 3rd note of the triplet would be open xxo xxo. If I am understanding right, it is THAT pattern (except as regular 1/8th notes) in a 4/4 that is throwing him.

Having said that, I can't do it either. I recognize the pattern from the beginning accent section of "Developing Dexterity" (where it's the accent that makes the rotation).

The open hat is on every 3 1/8th. (I out of 3).
Ex: opine on the and of 1 (before the snare), then on the 3 and then on the and of 4 , then on the 2 , and of 3 and then on the next 1.

X . . X . . X . . X . . X . . X . .
S. S. S S
K. K. K K
I could just write it and take a pic but don't know how to post a pic on here.

I've listened to several versions on youtube and I'm not hearing or seeing this pattern. Granted I did not watch every version in its entirety. Do you have a specific version you could link to?

I understand the pattern you are trying to play, and it would be a bit tricky, but I just don't hear Jordan playing it.

How about getting a few recorded samples here? It would be nice to know exactly where the opening and closing occurs.

Or perhaps a song that illustrates what the OP is talking about?

That is not what Steve Jordan is playing. Listening to the song got me thinking about trying that. It is pretty much 3 over 4 in 1/8th subdivision on the hi hat.
There are no 1/16 in the grove.
Kick on one and 3 , snare on 2 and 4

Open hihat on 1 , closed on "and" , closed on "2", open on "and" closed on 3 , closed on "and", open on "4", closed on "and" , closed on "1", open on "and", closed on "2", closed on "and" , etc, etc,
Did someone get it ?
Can't do a video , my computer screen broke :(

So it's like a poly-rhythmic pattern which resolves after three measures? I wouldn't call it exactly simple but once written out and you understand where the hi-hat openings land, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out.

That is not what Steve Jordan is playing. Listening to the song got me thinking about trying that. It is pretty much 3 over 4 in 1/8th subdivision on the hi hat.

Open hihat on 1 , closed on "and" , closed on "2", open on "and" closed on 3 , closed on "and", open on "4", closed on "and" , closed on "1", open on "and", closed on "2", closed on "and" , etc, etc,
Did someone get it ?

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about something similar to what Raymond Pounds plays for a few measures (at about the 1:30 mark) here (although he's playing 16ths on the hi-hat, not 8ths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1la0LBNFEY

Did someone get it ?

Gotcha. I thought you were trying to replicate what Jordan was playing. I understand what you are trying to do, and it's a challenging pattern. Work at it and I'm sure you can get it!

Back