Tuning Jazz

RDrums99

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct spot for this question but maybe I can get some help.

I'm looking to get a be bop sound from Catalina Club jazz drums. I'm wondering, what heads should I go with? Ambassadors top and bottom? And for the bass drum resonant head, I'm looking to use a Fiberskyn 3. Which should I go with? The diplomat or the ambassador? Thanks guys

I have this kit and if you're replacing the Evans G1 heads, I would go with the Ambassadors.

I think the Diplomats are too thin. Those drums have 30 degree bearing edges. Coated Ambassadors will sound great for all tunings, bop or otherwise.

Also check out an Emad for the bass drum. The stock head that comes with the kit is pretty bad.

take this with a grain of salt as i do NOT have the heads on yet...BUT i just bought some remo Fiberskyn 3 Diplomats from my entire jazz kit (10, 12, 14, 14). bottoms are Ambassador clears...EXCEPT the kick which is a Fiberskyn 3 Ambassador in 20" w/ a smooth white logo head & small hole. may go w/ Fiberskyn front later w/ a smaller coffee-can hole. the BD was the toughest head to find & had to order it locally. almost went w/ PowerStroke Fiberskyn Ambassador (coated PowerStroke Ambassador is on there now, great sound wide-open), but i wanted a more open / higher sound to tune to.

on the F3 Diplomat weight -- IMHO, it feels more like a coated Ambassador. check A vs. B in a music store. i thought the F3 Dips would be too thin as well until i checked one out by feel. the Fiberskyn is a tad thicker than the regular remo mylar.

about 80% of the Fiberskyn 3 decision is solely based on Jeff Hamilton's playing. huge fan, he is just sick live & recorded. http://www.remo.com/portal/artists/4330/Jeff_Hamilton.html . next step for me is a beard & Bosphorus cymbals...heh-heh.

Yeah, I've heard that with Fiberskyn heads, you bump each weight up. For example, the fiberskyn diplomat=ambassador, fiberskyn ambassador=emperor, and fiberskyn powerstroke=powerstroke.

Yeah, emad would sound killin' on this little 18 inch bass drum. I'm not going for that punchy sound though. I will keep an 18 inch emad on the side though for when my taste changes. I love the sound of 18 inch bass drums

the other i forgot to mention is that i also got S-Hoops w/ the Fiberskyns. taking awhile to get everything on as i am doing the whole 9 yards w/ some wax on bearing edges & seating w/ a hairdryer, etc. if i make an MP3 of the new sound, i will post it here.

yeah i have heard about damaging / burning the bearing edges when you run it too hot too long. you hold your hand on the head & if it is too hot for your hand, then its too hot for the head / shell. the seat process only takes 60-90 seconds. normally, i would seat the heads loose, really push/beat on them w/ a tympani mallet, then tune them high as hell. the next day, tune them to spec & wait until they "break in". then re-tune them again much later. the heat / seat thing is supposed to take months off the break-in process.

i was directed by a studio / cartage guy & a drum maker to do the heat - seat method, so i feel pretty good about the whole process -- i will let you know how they sound.

Back