Trying my hand at guitar

LM201

Well, I tried the guitar today and learned part of Jack Johnson's No Other Way.

I have never played the guitar before and the most I've ever done it play a couple chords with it. So this is what I've come up with in about an hour

http://audio.isg.si/audiox/?q=node/31135

My friend uploaded it to some weird website and you have to manually press play, which most people don't seem to get.

So tell me what you think

EDIT: I tried recording it with a mic and it has this annoying buzzing going but I think it's better than the other version.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=424041084 It's called Part Ialc Over

Last edited:
Hey Lm201, your a natural man, stick at it and harden up those finger tips. Rock ON Man.

Thanks! I guess it's all buzzing because, I didn't have the capo on hard enough and because the recorder on my cellphone sucks I had to play really hard, which I probably shouldn't have done.

Thanks again for the kind words! I think I might pick up guitar as a second instrument!

-Kyle

That was really good LM201... and you just started.. very good! Anytime is a good time for some Jack!

somehow i doubt that recording is your first time ever playing guitar. if so kudos, i've taught many people to play the guitar, and that is never the first sound that comes out.

Keep playin', it's nice to be able to play with an actual melody every now and again

There are people who've been playing for months who probably can't play that solidly. That surley can't be the first time you tried playing a song on a guitar you must have had a bit of practice beforehand?

i play the guitar..kinda. I just barely got the chords down and stuff so I can get songs down pretty good. I can't really move from one chord to the next as fast as I want to...and I still can't get the F chord down lol

Thanks everyone.

Yes, this is actually the first time I've played a song on guitar. The only other times I have played are when I was learning the chords and pitches from my dad.

I learned it by basically watching it live to see where the capo went and to get an idea of how to do the beginning part. Then I learned the rest by ear. I only practiced it an hour beforehand

Thanks everyone.

Yes, this is actually the first time I've played a song on guitar. The only other times I have played are when I was learning the chords and pitches from my dad.

I learned it by basically watching it live to see where the capo went and to get an idea of how to do the beginning part. Then I learned the rest by ear. I only practiced it an hour beforehand

okay so you have learned the chords and stuff. But still i have friends who have been playing for years who can't pick up songs by ear!

okay so you have learned the chords and stuff. But still i have friends who have been playing for years who can't pick up songs by ear!

It's not very hard for me to hear the different pitches when they're played on an acoustic but if it's an electric with distortion, I can't do anything.

I learned to recognize pitches a couple months ago when I was super bored one day. I spent three hours on the piano playing every pitch in six octaves. Then I got the guitar, bass, and mandolin and started to find all the pitches. Then I just memorized where they were.

Handy skill being able to recognise pitches. If you can name pitches out of the air without a reference, then you have what is known as 'Perfect Pitch' which is both a blessing and a curse (my brother has it). Essentially, you can work out notes easily and listen for chords with greater accuracy - without having to use cheeky tricks like intervals to transcribe music. I do not have perfect pitch and sometimes I wish I had, and then I realise that most people with perfect pitch get highly irritated when a note is played slightly off the norm.

I couldn't deal with that. I listen to a lot of music that doesn't necessarily deal in straightforward tones...

As for guitar - go with it. I play all the time (I just put one of mine down actually) and there's nothing like a late night (in this case, early morning) noodle to see what you can get.

It's not very hard for me to hear the different pitches when they're played on an acoustic but if it's an electric with distortion, I can't do anything.

I learned to recognize pitches a couple months ago when I was super bored one day. I spent three hours on the piano playing every pitch in six octaves. Then I got the guitar, bass, and mandolin and started to find all the pitches. Then I just memorized where they were.

Okay i know what you mean. Do you know how to play a power chord? Because that's what about 90% distorted rhythm guitar is made up of.

i play the guitar..kinda. I just barely got the chords down and stuff so I can get songs down pretty good. I can't really move from one chord to the next as fast as I want to...and I still can't get the F chord down lol

barre chords are hard only because you don't have the wrist and finger strength yet, you'll get it if you keep at it.

Handy skill being able to recognise pitches. If you can name pitches out of the air without a reference, then you have what is known as 'Perfect Pitch' which is both a blessing and a curse (my brother has it). Essentially, you can work out notes easily and listen for chords with greater accuracy - without having to use cheeky tricks like intervals to transcribe music. I do not have perfect pitch and sometimes I wish I had, and then I realise that most people with perfect pitch get highly irritated when a note is played slightly off the norm.

I couldn't deal with that. I listen to a lot of music that doesn't necessarily deal in straightforward tones...

As for guitar - go with it. I play all the time (I just put one of mine down actually) and there's nothing like a late night (in this case, early morning) noodle to see what you can get.

im not sure what he has is perfect pitch, so much as its really good relative pitch, which is what i have. perfect pitch is not something you learn either, its kinda either you have it or you don't. at least that's my interpretation

im not sure what he has is perfect pitch, so much as its really good relative pitch, which is what i have. perfect pitch is not something you learn either, its kinda either you have it or you don't. at least that's my interpretation

Well perfect pitch is not something that you can really learn. There are ways and means, but it's more important to have relative pitch if you're going to have one or the other. I'm pretty useless at hearing intervals, but I'm trying to rectify that.

I realise that most people with perfect pitch get highly irritated when a note is played slightly off the norm.

If you have a digital tuner, you should start tuning all your strings either 50 cents sharp or flat (provided you're only playing solo). If they're all in tune with each other, it sounds great, but more importantly it annoys the hell out of those lucky bastards with perfect pitch! :)

Back