5B Sticks and Damage

dragtime

I'm very sorry if this thread's topic has been discussed before. I did a quick search and wasn't able to find any direct answers.

I left my two good pairs of vic firth 5A's at my last gig this past weekend... So today I went to my local drum shop on the hunt for a new pair. They didn't have any vic firth 5A's in stock unfortunately and I don't much care for the feel of pro-mark 5A's, the only other 5A's in stock. So after playing a bunch of other sticks I picked up a pair of vic firth 5B's.

I used to play 5B's back in the day when I was a younger drummer playing in a couple hardcore punk and metal bands. I broke a lot of cymbals (cheap ones) and sticks back in those days. My chops have come a long way since then and I have corrected poor form which I believe lead to the majority of my stick and cymbal damage issues. For the past 3-4 years I have also been playing only 5A sticks. I don't break sticks or cymbals anymore.

Now with this new pair of 5B's, I don't want to put my drums through any additional unnecessary stress/damage. My question is: because 5B's are a little heavier of stick, will they cause more damage to cymbals and heads? What are everyone's experience with 5B's? Do you guys notice any more than usual damage to the cymbals, heads, rims, bearing edges, etc?

I am a larger guy (6'4") and have larger hands. The 5B's actually kind of seem like they feel a little better in my large hands than the 5A's. They cause me to expend a very little amount more energy than I am used to currently, but I assume this issue will be resolved after a couple days worth of snare practice.

I'm currently playing in two bands, one hardcore punk and the other psychedelic jazz. So, when playing live in my hardcore band I can hit pretty hard. Never in practice though. Will the added weight of the 5B's hurt my drums?

Thanks!

Been playing the same Vicfirth 5a and switched to 5b a few years ago. Like you say, your technique has improved so you should be fine. Just keep in mind that the heavier stick will make those drums and cymbals sing with less effort. I think you will be just fine once you get used to the heavier stick. I have used Vater 5b also and they are lighter than the vicfirts so you might want to try them.

I've never noticed any huge difference......especially between a 5A and a 5B. As you've noted, the way you play has more impact than the actual sticks you're using. Providing you refrain from being unnecessarily ham-fisted, you're good to go. Play 'em with confidence mate.

Can the 5B's break more things than the 5A's?. I guess its possible, but if youre not breaking anymore sticks and your playing 5A's then you are probably using better technique.

5B's are very popular and I used to use them back in the day (5A's now) but I cant say I noticed any difference in the carnage.

If you are a big dude I would go with the 5B's. They must feel better in your hands I would think.

With good technique, I would say no, you won't damage anything. I use 5Bs or even 2bs sometimes and I don't break stuff, not even my Istanbul Agop thin crashes. I DO wear out snare heads like crazy, by they are pretty inexpensive and I consider them a commodity, like sticks themselves.

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys, I appreciate it! I'll play the 5B's for a while and report back on my results. I assume the extra weight won't have too drastic of an effect on my precious skins.

Are those ludwig classic maples in your avatar pic IDDrummer? I picked up a used set recently and have fallen completely in love with them. The bass drum in particular is magnificent. I've also put some serious consideration lately into picking up an Istanbul cymbal. I've played mostly Zildjians throughout my drumming career. The next cymbal I try with either be a Istanbul, Bosphorus or Ufip. I've been hearing some good things about Ufip cymbals lately.

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys, I appreciate it! I'll play the 5B's for a while and report back on my results. I assume the extra weight won't have too drastic of an effect on my precious skins.

Are those ludwig classic maples in your avatar pic IDDrummer? I picked up a used set recently and have fallen completely in love with them. The bass drum in particular is magnificent. I've also put some serious consideration lately into picking up an Istanbul cymbal. I've played mostly Zildjians throughout my drumming career. The next cymbal I try with either be a Istanbul, Bosphorus or Ufip. I've been hearing some good things about Ufip cymbals lately.

Yes, those are my beloved Classic Maples!

Been playing the same Vicfirth 5a and switched to 5b a few years ago. Like you say, your technique has improved so you should be fine. Just keep in mind that the heavier stick will make those drums and cymbals sing with less effort. I think you will be just fine once you get used to the heavier stick. I have used Vater 5b also and they are lighter than the vicfirts so you might want to try them.

I don't mean to be a prick, but Vater 5Bs are actually heavier and thicker than VicFirth 5Bs. 0.605" in diameter to 0.595" diameter respectively. Just so people don't get confused :)
Jackson

i used to use 2bs, now MS4's (freaking giant sticks) and i don't damage any heads or cymbals but my snare which wears out fast.

its all about technique really. i can play with less power in my wrist/arm/hand/body but ill get a louder note than people using a 5b or whatever. i also play everything from death metal to jazz

oh and im a 'smaller' guy. 5'11"

i used to use 2bs, now MS4's (freaking giant sticks) and i don't damage any heads or cymbals but my snare which wears out fast.

its all about technique really. i can play with less power in my wrist/arm/hand/body but ill get a louder note than people using a 5b or whatever. i also play everything from death metal to jazz

oh and im a 'smaller' guy. 5'11"

Haha, you're a big guy compared to me! 5'9" and <150 lbs. But I've never had anyone say "Excuse me, could you please play louder?" lol

I seem to get better response with 5B's.

After using 5A sticks for a long time, 5B's feel extremely large and heavy until I get used to them again.

Back