What type of rack

Infernal Valkyrie

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what type of racks I should buy name brand wise. I like the look of Tama's one but is there something made by Gibraltar that may be cheaper? I've noticed some of their racks look very similar. And if I usually play a double bass kit do I need to buy the extension rack as well?
I'm open to any guidance because I have limited knowledge on rack systems. If it makes any difference I play mostly death metal.

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what type of racks I should buy name brand wise. I like the look of Tama's one but is there something made by Gibraltar that may be cheaper? I've noticed some of their racks look very similar. And if I usually play a double bass kit do I need to buy the extension rack as well?
I'm open to any guidance because I have limited knowledge on rack systems. If it makes any difference I play mostly death metal.

maybe the pearl icon or the dr-80(i think thats the model name)
pearl makes them for good prices because they are three sided..if thats what you want
but if you play double bass.. then you could go with the Gibraltar rack too
but overall, I'm not that knowledgeable in racks but I like Pearl

Yes the Pearl Icon is my top choice because of the rectangular tubes. I wish they made a chrome one haha. As you know everything on the starclassics is super glossy and reflective, so I prefer the look of those shiny racks. Is there a brighter pearl rack?

I have heard a lot of good things about the pearl, but I have a double bass kit and I don't know if it would fit my 2 bass drums under the bars.

The 3 sided rack is designed intentionally for a double bass set up. The two front sides probably measure out to over 5 feet.. 60". It says it fits up to 28" kick drum with ease, so my guess is its at least 30" across from bar to bar.

Look at the measurements here
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-DR503C-Icon-3Sided-Curved-Drum-Rack?sku=449180
the measurements will be in the description :)
hope I helped

If you're going with an ICON and play double bass, i highly recommend getting the smaller 3 sided rack with straight (not curved) bars and adding a 4th side with the add-on rack (if you want a symmetrical wrap around look). The curved bars are just too long for a comfortable setup uless you're going to be using 5-6 rack toms on the front, and they're not long enough to fit 2 bass drums underneath. The smaller straight ICON bars are more than adequate to hang 2 rack toms each over each bass drum.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-DR503-ICON-3Sided-Drum-Rack?sku=448720

I have a double tier 4 sided icon rack with 2 curved sides and 2 straight sides. Originally i had it configured with the curved sides in the front:

dios9.jpg

The setup was spread out too wide, even with 5 rack toms in front so i switched it up with the 2 straight sides in front and the 2 curved sides on the side wings and i love it that way now:

dios4-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sold on the Icon rack, that thing does look amazing. Do the clamps slide around a lot on round racks? It seems like Pearl is one of the few that make square tube racks.

If you're going with an ICON and play double bass, i highly recommend getting the smaller 3 sided rack with straight (not curved) bars and adding a 4th side with the add-on rack (if you want a symmetrical wrap around look). The curved bars are just too long for a comfortable setup uless you're going to be using 5-6 rack toms on the front, and they're not long enough to fit 2 bass drums underneath. The smaller straight ICON bars are more than adequate to hang 2 rack toms each over each bass drum.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-DR503-ICON-3Sided-Drum-Rack?sku=448720

I have a double tier 4 sided icon rack with 2 curved sides and 2 straight sides. Originally i had it configured with the curved sides in the front:

dios9.jpg

The setup was spread out too wide, even with 5 rack toms in front so i switched it up with the 2 straight sides in front and the 2 curved sides on the side wings and i love it that way now:

dios4-1.jpg

NICE KIT!!! I would like to see it from behind!

John "Crash" Jones
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWolvesRock

Very nice. Do you gig with it? Seems like you need a semi for the hardware alone? I have tried to reduce the amount of hardware so I can get it all in two long boxes.

I would stay away from Tama. Limited parts, limited availability, steep prices and heavy weight do not point in their favour.

I have a Gibraltar, and I'm very happy with it. Here's a copy of a review I posted here a while back:

I have a relatively small kit, but even before I bought it, I knew I was going for a rack setup. There were a few reasons for this:

1: Consistency. Every time I set up my kit, it will look exactly the same
2: Small footprint on stage. No stand legs poking out everywhere, so the floor space used is very small.
3: I think racks look awesome

I do like the idea of square tubing, so the Icon was tempting in that regard, but Pearl doesn't offer the front rack with side wings setup that I wanted, and the full three-sided setup would be way overkill for me. This meant the decision really made itself, and the multitude of options available for a Gibraltar setup didn't hurt either.

On the issue of slippage: I don't understand what people are doing wrong. I have no memory locks on my clamps, and I haven't had a single slippage incident, ever! That being said, I'm ordering memory clamps for my tom and ride clamps, just to be on the safe side, but so far, the setup has been 100% rock solid!

Pros and cons list! These don't really apply to the Gibraltar rack in particular, it's more of a rack vs stands thing. My previous kit was an almost identical configuration (the only difference was that it had a hanging floor tom, not one on legs), and was stand-based, so I feel I've got a basis for comparison:

Pros:
- Small floor footprint
- Consistent setup every time I assemble the kit
- Clean (and, in my opinion, awesome) look
- Nothing on the kit moves independently of other pieces. Everything is rock solid. This was a particular problem when using a stand-based setup on soft stage floors. Everything would sway back and forth, and usually not in unison. The rack's got such a broad base and much weight, it's not moving at all
- Adding a cymbal (or whatever else) doesn't require a new stand or trying to clamp a boom arm onto an existing stand (which almost always means a compromise on positioning). Add a multiclamp and a small boom arm, and you've got every positioning possibility you could want

Cons:
- Not as easy to move pieces (especially toms) closer or further away. You're bound to the rack bars, and although you can angle clamps and tom arms, the possibilities are not endless
- Experimenting with new setups is much more of a hassle than with stands. It's not just a matter of moving a stand to a completely different position anymore, you might have to move the whole rack into a new position, which in turn means that you have to move everything else on the rack to compensate.
- The whole setup is probably a little bit heavier than my old stand setup, but not so much that it's a problem.

So in closing: Once I've found a setup I'm happy with, I'm extremely happy with my rack. It took me about a week of experimenting before I settled on my setup, but as it stands, I don't see myself wanting to change it anytime soon. I've had variations of the same setup for years now, but after really taking the time and perfecting it, I'm utterly sold on the rack.

The kit and setup (more in my sig):
Kit_Left.jpg

Kit_Right.jpg

Kit_Driver_01.jpg

My old kit (for reference):
Kit01.jpg

Kit02.jpg

The Yamaha Hex Rack looks like an extremely nice piece of hardware, but it's pretty expensive. If you can afford it though, it probably won't let you down.

Back