V-Drum Hardware (throne, pedals, hi-hat stand, etc)

sjshooter

Hi all. Total newbie here. In my 40s and finally going to fulfill a lifelong desire to learn to play drums. Going to be lining up a TD-15kv so I can play at home.

Apparently, I will need to buy some hardware to go with this set (throne, beater pedal (double bass?), hi-hat stand), etc?

I am really new to drums, and really don't trust the Guitar Center staff not to steer me into inferior items with a better commission/margin.

What hardware do you guys use/recommend... and perhaps more importantly: What should I avoid at all costs?

I'm the type of guy who would rather lay down a more money early and get something of high quality instead of go cheap and have to replace or be unsatisfied with performance.

Thanks!

Since your not looking at strictly cost, anything from the pro lines of any of the major manufactures will last you for ever.

I personally have DW stuff on my vdrums but really, top of the line TAMA, Pearl, Mapex, Gretsch, whatever will be great.

So my advice is play all the pedals you can as well as hi-hat stands, see what feels good to you, even if you can't play yet, you will know what feels right.

Just stay away from entry level, you will end up replacing it.

I would ask them, what pro level hardware they can make you the best deal on and see where that leads ;-)

Thanks. DW (for example) has multiple lines of pedals, so it's a bit confusing. Obviously, I could just go for the most expensive/top of the line, but I just want something that will work well. What should I be looking for in terms of function, features, and feel? How do I narrow this down? Obviously, I'm a total noob, and am not going to be playing on a pro-level set, and as much as I don't want to waste money on something cheap, I also don't need something spec'd for Neil Peart when I'm just learning. :) A DW 9000-series double-bass pedal is $579, kinda little much for my skills/set-up, no?

I use DW5000 and 9000 hardware. I love all of it. But you can't go wrong with top of the line Pearl, Tama, Gibralter stuff either. You really don't need top of the line anyways. In my experience the mid level hardware isn't really any different performance wise. The big money stuff is a bit sturdier for road use. I tear down/set up my hardware alot. so I need something that can handle constant turning of the screws during set up and bouncing around in a trailor. I need my stuff to work. And DW5000/9000 takes a beating.

sounds like you're probably not taking this stuff out on the road so don't go too nuts with the hardware. I too have a TD15 for practice kit and if you're like me, electronics are going to end up costing a small fortune when GAS strikes. (in a good way though. lol)

good luck with the playing. have fun.

You will do fine with any mid-level, mid-price pedal and hi-hat stand. Yamaha's stuff is great and I recommend it. Tama and DW's mid-price lines also offer great value for the price.

Do, however, spend good money on a top-quality throne. I have seen beginning drummers buy super-heavy-duty DW 9000 hardware and pedals and then go for a $29.99 generic throne that couldn't hold a pair of toothpicks steady.

Do, however, spend good money on a top-quality throne. I have seen beginning drummers buy super-heavy-duty DW 9000 hardware and pedals and then go for a $29.99 generic throne that couldn't hold a pair of toothpicks steady.

Thank you for this advice. I don't mind spending money, but would have probably skimped on the throne. Pretty dumb, if you think about it, but of course I didn't until you said something. Thanks!

I picked up a DW3000 series double pedal and I love it. There are more adjustments on it than I know what to do with. It's honestly up to how much you're willing to spend.

As for your choice of Roland TD15... dont count out the stuff that Yamaha is making. You're selling yourself short if you don't at least check it out.

I picked up a DW3000 series double pedal and I love it. There are more adjustments on it than I know what to do with. It's honestly up to how much you're willing to spend.

As for your choice of Roland TD15... dont count out the stuff that Yamaha is making. You're selling yourself short if you don't at least check it out.

None of the Yamaha pads had any feel to them that I liked. I know the mesh is not ideal, but it is the best thing going in electronic drums, in my beginner opinion.

For $100 you can get a great, solid Gibraltar 9608 throne, softer than the DW 3100 that I first tried out. Often gets five stars out of five (see MF for example)

Back