Live Web Cam Set Up HELP!

Pat Petrillo

Silver Member
Hi, Guys

After numerous requests, I am finally going to go with live cyber lesson broadcasts, as well as downloadable lessons in 2009. Does anyone have advice as to the software I would need to run this? I have a lap top that will be dedicated to this exclusively..

Any advice would be helpful..interface, etc..

Thanks, DW!!

Got your message and saw your post here as well, so I thought I would answer this publicly so others might benefit.

I've been giving lessons online for a number of years now, using allocated software on my dedicated server for the Drummer Cafe. What I would suggest is using Skype for one-on-one lessons. It's free software and allows you to basically make video conference calls through your computer with the use of a webcam. I've used Skype for a number of years with great success.

Another possibility is uStream, as long as you don't mind the ads; it's free.

There are a number of software programs that you can get for free that will allow you to switch between camera shots. I've been doing this in my Virtual Classroom over at the Drummer Cafe. I'm able to switch between shots as well as have PnP (Picture in Picture) for close-ups or overhead shots.

You get what you pay for when it comes to all of this software, but it's a good place to start. Once you figure out what you need as far as features, you can make the investment to purchase software that serves you best.

If you are using webcams with internal mics, you are probably going to run into some major problems with the audio. They are not designed to handle any SPL higher than the human voice.

For the video feed, I use a combination of DV cameras and webcams. For the audio, I mic up my drumkit or percussion set-up and run it all into my Digi 002 which then feeds into the computer. I also wear a lapel mic for all the speaking segments, then switch it off when I'm playing. This just makes it all a little cleaner and tighter sounding. If you've ever watch my Drummer Cafe TV broadcasts, which are prerecorded, you can see/hear the quality of the video and audio ... which is the same thing I use for Drummer Cafe LIVE, the Virtual Classroom and one-on-one video lessons.

Another bit of advice, I'd done some remote broadcasts using wireless WiFi ... like when I was in the studio with Billy Ward, I was broadcasting the session live. While this is cool and does work, using WiFi for the broadcast is probably going to limit your throughput, making things a bit choppy (video and sometimes audio). Video is a huge memory hog! So my suggestion is that you always connect your system directly to the Internet modem/router when broadcasting video; don't use the WiFi if you want the best results.

That's about it ... in a nutshell. Over the years I've dialed in what works best for me. I started offering custom video correspondence lessons back in the mid-90's, something I still do today but now on DVD or for download. The Virtual Classroom is for my Premium Resource subscribers; classes vary from month to month covering a wide variety of drum/percussion topics.

As far as payments, there are a number of ways to go. You can have the funds wired to your business account, receive a check via snail mail, or use PayPal to receive the funds. Those are the easiest/cheapest methods, but definitely require a lot more man hours. I'm actually implementing more automated systems into the Drummer Cafe for 2009 that will make the online subscription / registration process more streamlined ... faster and easier for myself and clients. It's a worthwhile investment ... especially when I would rather be spending my time playing and making music!

Good luck with your endeavors Patt!

Back