Is easy to tune a piccolo snare low?

A drum's size governs its pitch to a large extent, and a piccolo snare wants to sound high, not low. So if you have a 3x13" snare, it's not going to sound like a 6.5x14". Nor would the bigger snare sound like the piccolo.

Bermuda

How it sounds?
Has a good tuning range?
Can be used for ballads?

As in all things: it depends.

Like Bermuda says a Piccolo wants to sound high. So within that context a piccolo snare can have a wide tuning range as far as higher pitches go. You can really crank them tight or manage a nice medium tone.

How it sounds is completely up to the drum and to you. Is it metal or wood? What type of heads are you using? What strainers are you using? All these variables add to the sum of the sound. And that sound is dependent on your preferences and what your ears like to hear.

Can it be used for ballads? In short, yes. Any drum can be used for a ballad. The real question is whether it should. That answer is more than likely no.

A shallow drum can sound very deep. Just check out the Modern Drummer video demo of the 4x15 Beier steel snare drum. I have recorded using a shallow maple Pearl free floater (what are they, 3.5" deep?) at a medium low tension, and while it wasn't the lowest pitched snare sound, it was very big, fat, and powerful sounding. I've never tried a low tuning on a true piccolo (3×13), but I imagine it would sound pretty similar to the free floater sound I referred to.

Back