Buying and Selling - Used drums/cymbals?

Altar

Buying and selling was my thing when I was into guitars... I made a very reasonable amount of money on those sales. How is it when it comes to drums? How is the market? I know there are a few different "markets" of sorts... Prices on Ebay are generally quite a bit higher than they are on Guitar Center, which are quite a bit higher than local music shops... And Craigslist is the most random and uncertain way to do business.

Anyone make a few pennies doing this sort of thing?

There is a lot of information out there and a lot of knowledgeable buyers and sellers. Most sellers know what they have, and most buyers know what they want, and both parties know the going rate.

Especially with cymbals, these are often very personal purchases for players, so even if you have a great item in good condition, they are hard sell site unseen (ie via the web). Soundclips/videos are helpful, but quality is key.

I sell a lot on eBay and buy everywhere. Generally, for cymbals in good condition, the going rate is about 60% of new price (on ebay, at least). The only thing I've sold on Craigslist was my old Superstar because I didn't want to ship it. The few times I've tried reselling purposefully (i.e. found an 'underestimated' craigslist listing for a couple cymbals & bag), I've made only a small gain, but it helps go towards my next purchase.

So far I've done most of my purchases on ebay and a couple at sweetwater. Ebay is a great place to get cymbals. It's kind of a hit-and-miss thing though. I've seen some amazing deals on cymbals if I just keep on checking everyday. A zildjian A medium ride went for $75 in like new condition one time on ebay. I would have snagged it if I had the money. Lots of sellers on ebay really underestimate the how much cymbals are worth.

Back