Sending in a dep you don't know?

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Hi guys, thankfully I am getting a bit busier gig wise this year but it does mean I am having to turn down some stuff and pass it onto other players. Not a problem...but....

I did a theatre show at the start of the month and because it was a last minute thing I couldn't make the Friday and Saturday night. So i put a dep in who I'd met before and chatted with and he was a nice guy but I'd never heard him play. However he was available and willing to do it for the very little money that was available so i went with it.

Anyway turns out he didn't do well. Was out of time with the MD, got lost a few times and despite having the music for a week before wasn't as prepped as I had hoped.

Anyway ive been contacted by another band who need someone to step in for 4 dates at the end of May...but again I can't do it and I don;t want to put someone in who doesn't do the job well whcih then reflects badly on me.

What do you do with deps? Do you have a set of people you call? and what if your go to guys can;t do it.

D

Problem is this latest band is from london and is coming up to scotland for a tour. No rehearsals so they are also kind of going in blind.

I have asked around but just wondering what others do in a similar situation

So i put a dep in who I'd met before and chatted with and he was a nice guy but I'd never heard him play.

Like choosing cymbals, you've got to hear what they sound like!

I've chosen subs a few times on local gigs, but only after I've heard what they can do. It doesn't have to be in person, a YouTube clip will tell me what I need to know about how they sound and how they approach a song. But they are always drummers that I'm acquainted with in some way, I don't think I've ever cold called anyone and 'interviewed' them to sub.

It shouldn't be a problem to dig up a pro who wants to work and can step in with little prep. The internet is ideal for this, but I'd be wary of trying to move forward with anyone who doesn't have a sample of their playing available either on their site, YouTube, Soundcloud, on released recordings, etc.

Remember that your choice of a sub also reflects on you, whether they do well, or not.

Bermuda

Had a few nightmares getting guys in Edinburgh, Dave. Ended up getting a dep from Glasgow who flew in the brief rehearsals, then just winged the majority of the 4 hour wedding gig. Ive had deps flake out also leaving me in the schtook.

On the other side of the coin, i've depped, and bands have been ill prepared for having a dep, and forget to tell you half the set changed or something.

Anyway might be good to meet at some point Dave, if any mutual depping is feasible.

Hi guys, thankfully I am getting a bit busier gig wise this year but it does mean I am having to turn down some stuff and pass it onto other players. Not a problem...but....

I did a theatre show at the start of the month and because it was a last minute thing I couldn't make the Friday and Saturday night. So i put a dep in who I'd met before and chatted with and he was a nice guy but I'd never heard him play. However he was available and willing to do it for the very little money that was available so i went with it.

Anyway turns out he didn't do well. Was out of time with the MD, got lost a few times and despite having the music for a week before wasn't as prepped as I had hoped.

Anyway ive been contacted by another band who need someone to step in for 4 dates at the end of May...but again I can't do it and I don;t want to put someone in who doesn't do the job well whcih then reflects badly on me.

What do you do with deps? Do you have a set of people you call? and what if your go to guys can;t do it.

D

A band contacts you to ask if you can drum for them, but you can't, and you are now trying to find a dep?
Sorry, but I don't understand why it's up to you to find a drummer for them (unless you're some kind of music agent).
Am I missing something?

A band contacts you to ask if you can drum for them, but you can't, and you are now trying to find a dep?
Sorry, but I don't understand why it's up to you to find a drummer for them (unless you're some kind of music agent).
Am I missing something?

It's not an obligation on the drummer's part, but it's a nice thing to do if possible, rather than tell the band "you're on your own." Remember, nice guys finish first (in this business.)

If I'm in a band that needs a sub for me, it's usually best if I can specify the other drummer, since I know better what to look for in terms of ability, discipline, etc. That's probably also not my obligation, but it's something I do when I like the people I work with (or even if I don't!) I even attend rehearsals with that drummer when possible.

C'mon Bo, back me up here!

Bermuda

You should ask all musicians involved (and your other contacts as well) whether they have any drummer acquaintances who are up for the gig.

That's great advice, and I would start there. But, also remember that the internet is your friend. Almost everyone has some sort of "web presence" nowadays. Scope them out on YouTube, etc. first and see if they can play. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that they're pleasant to work with or that they'll come on time or prepared, but you can at least hear if they've got their stuff together. You can also see who else they've been playing with. If they're working with people who won't take any crap, then you know there's a good chance that they're reliable.

PS What kind of gig is it? I've got a laundry list of dep drummers in the London.

It's not an obligation on the drummer's part, but it's a nice thing to do if possible, rather than tell the band "you're on your own." Remember, nice guys finish first (in this business.)

If I'm in a band that needs a sub for me, it's usually best if I can specify the other drummer, since I know better what to look for in terms of ability, discipline, etc. That's probably also not my obligation, but it's something I do when I like the people I work with (or even if I don't!) I even attend rehearsals with that drummer when possible.

C'mon Bo, back me up here!

Bermuda

Oh, I understand the point if they are replacing your position in your band. I'd want to choose my sub too!
I also get that it's a nice thing to do if you can, it just seemed strange to be stressing over something that isn't actually your responsibility.
Still, good luck to Dave_Major on finding an appropriate (& decent) sub.

I also get that it's a nice thing to do if you can, it just seemed strange to be stressing over something that isn't actually your responsibility.

It's because Dave cares. That's an important and easilty detectable trait for anyone to have.

Bermuda

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Managed to find someone who will do a great job.
Beauty of Facebook
Like choosing cymbals, you've got to hear what they sound like!

I've chosen subs a few times on local gigs, but only after I've heard what they can do. It doesn't have to be in person, a YouTube clip will tell me what I need to know about how they sound and how they approach a song. But they are always drummers that I'm acquainted with in some way, I don't think I've ever cold called anyone and 'interviewed' them to sub.

It shouldn't be a problem to dig up a pro who wants to work and can step in with little prep. The internet is ideal for this, but I'd be wary of trying to move forward with anyone who doesn't have a sample of their playing available either on their site, YouTube, Soundcloud, on released recordings, etc.

Remember that your choice of a sub also reflects on you, whether they do well, or not.

Bermuda

HI Bermuda, sound advice as always.

The first gig was £60 for 2 shows. Not great money so my options were limited plus it was a friday and saturday when my usual deps were out so I was in a kind of sticky situation...especially as he would be using my gear!

Had a few nightmares getting guys in Edinburgh, Dave. Ended up getting a dep from Glasgow who flew in the brief rehearsals, then just winged the majority of the 4 hour wedding gig. Ive had deps flake out also leaving me in the schtook.

On the other side of the coin, i've depped, and bands have been ill prepared for having a dep, and forget to tell you half the set changed or something.

Anyway might be good to meet at some point Dave, if any mutual depping is feasible.

Lets meet up mate, i'll PM you my email address.

Definately had a situation where the band ust flung tunes at me that they hadn't told me they were going to do. Good job I can busk along!

That's great advice, and I would start there. But, also remember that the internet is your friend. Almost everyone has some sort of "web presence" nowadays. Scope them out on YouTube, etc. first and see if they can play. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that they're pleasant to work with or that they'll come on time or prepared, but you can at least hear if they've got their stuff together. You can also see who else they've been playing with. If they're working with people who won't take any crap, then you know there's a good chance that they're reliable.

PS What kind of gig is it? I've got a laundry list of dep drummers in the London.

Will definitely look for youtube stuff first. That has gotten me work so makes sense that other guys i want to use should have them as well.

The gig is a Bowie tribute act and they are from London and coming up to Scotland for gigs so i think they want to use a local guy to save on hotel bills etc.

It's a shame I can't do it.

Oh, I understand the point if they are replacing your position in your band. I'd want to choose my sub too!
Still, good luck to Dave_Major on finding an appropriate (& decent) sub.

It's because Dave cares. That's an important and easilty detectable trait for anyone to have.

Bermuda

Again thanks Bermuda. In this particular situation i am also thinking the long term. It is 4 gigs this year but if they come back for more they might give me a buzz knowing that i was nice enough to help them out. I don't do it for every band I get asked to play in but in this case it seemed the right thing to do.
The same might come around to me and I might get work because another drummer tried to find another player.

As a final question - if you are finding a new dep do you go more on youtube or just the name? and would you not put someone forward for gigs if they don't have a youtube/soundcloud

Dave

Back