Double Bass Acoustic to Electronic Conversion

axisT6

I just finished converting my drums to full electronic and wanted to share what I did.

The drum set is a double bass Tama Rockstar (22, 22, 10, 12, 16) with a cheap vic firth piccolo that I purchased for the purpose of converting.

I used the following:

Roland TD-6V
Extreme Drums Internal Triggers
Remo Mesh Heads
Pintech Practice Cymbals
30mm Piezos (adafruit.com)
1/4" Stereo Plugs (bgmicro.com)
1/8" thick gum rubber sheets (mcmaster.com)

Here is the finished product:

Here is an up close shot of the internal trigger and mesh head:

Up close shots of how I converted the practice cymbals:

I converted an actual ride cymbal as the feel can't really be duplicated with plastic cymbals. I used a Sound-Off rubber mute along with a a mouse pad and old trigger box I had laying around.

Here are some shots of how the cables plug into the drums. I drilled the toms, used the vent hole on the snare, and made special inserts for the tom mounts on the bass drums.

All in all this works very well. The drums are very responsive as the Extreme Drums Triggers and Remo Mesh Heads are a very good combination. I do need to tweak the snare a little. The cymbals are all single zone which is fine for now.

This is so cool!! One of these days, I'm gonna try this. I'm sure I'll screw it up horribly. How does it sound/feel?

Nice.

Your snare and toms are set up in the same configuration as mine.

I don't like double pedals or hauling two bass drums around and I gre accustomed the feel of a solid kick pad, so I just use pads

20150202_164249_zps46fddc26.jpg

This is so cool!! One of these days, I'm gonna try this. I'm sure I'll screw it up horribly. How does it sound/feel?

The sound is very muted. There is a slight difference in feel, however I naturally play hard so I don't notice as much. The heads have a characteristic tone so the kit is enjoyable to play with or without the module on.

Back