Looking for a shellpack again..... yay.

Mike St.Clair

Yea, it's time again. I recently bought and returned some Tama SC b/b drums with a wrap due to the wrap joints. IMO, they were not good and I wasn't comfortable with the beveled cut in the shell and roughness of the job that was done. I may have been wrong as this may be acceptable with wrapped drums, but not to me. I'll stay away from wraps.
So, I'm considering the SCP B/B's in a lacquer, most likely have to be discontinued finishes to get to my price (under $1200). I found one in mohagony that's been for sale a while as well as a red sparkle.
The other two I'm looking in to are the Premier Genistas, assuming my connection can get me a set, and the Gretsch Renowns. I realize the Renowns aren't birch, but I'm also trying to keep my options open to what the "best" sounding semi-pro type kits I can buy for my money. I've had great ownership experiences from my Premier XPK's in the 90's, both my Starclassic birch performers (2004 and 2006), and my Gretsch Catalina birch drums in 2005. I have a local dealer with the Renowns- both the red sparkle 4 pc for $995 and 5 pc black with 8" tom for $1150. No one stocks Premiers, I am a little concerned about service and availability, but I've read quite a few glowing reviews from folks who bought them at those crazy $500-600 deals. I guess I should have jumped on those then...... I only have youtube to go by for sound samples.
I'm getting ready to start playing with my church where the drummer already bought some Tama Imperialstars, but they are his drums. They usually have a shield around them and a few mikes. I already have snare drums, hardware, and cymbals.

Thanks for any input and/or other recommendations. I've looked at the PDP Concepts, sound pretty good, but the lugs and finish choices didn't really push my buttons and the drums above were only a couple hundred bucks more.

Yea, it's time again. I recently bought and returned some Tama SC b/b drums with a wrap due to the wrap joints. IMO, they were not good and I wasn't comfortable with the beveled cut in the shell and roughness of the job that was done. I may have been wrong as this may be acceptable with wrapped drums, but not to me. I'll stay away from wraps.
So, I'm considering the SCP B/B's in a lacquer, most likely have to be discontinued finishes to get to my price (under $1200). I found one in mohagony that's been for sale a while as well as a red sparkle.
The other two I'm looking in to are the Premier Genistas, assuming my connection can get me a set, and the Gretsch Renowns. I realize the Renowns aren't birch, but I'm also trying to keep my options open to what the "best" sounding semi-pro type kits I can buy for my money. I've had great ownership experiences from my Premier XPK's in the 90's, both my Starclassic birch performers (2004 and 2006), and my Gretsch Catalina birch drums in 2005. I have a local dealer with the Renowns- both the red sparkle 4 pc for $995 and 5 pc black with 8" tom for $1150. No one stocks Premiers, I am a little concerned about service and availability, but I've read quite a few glowing reviews from folks who bought them at those crazy $500-600 deals. I guess I should have jumped on those then...... I only have youtube to go by for sound samples.
I'm getting ready to start playing with my church where the drummer already bought some Tama Imperialstars, but they are his drums. They usually have a shield around them and a few mikes. I already have snare drums, hardware, and cymbals.

Thanks for any input and/or other recommendations. I've looked at the PDP Concepts, sound pretty good, but the lugs and finish choices didn't really push my buttons and the drums above were only a couple hundred bucks more.

Mike,
Not sure if you travel to Massachusetts at all, but....I am actually selling my Tama Starclassic B/B kit in honey amber (I actually have the B/B snare as well). I would sell as a 4 or 5 piece. The kit is honestly in mint condition...my price cannot be beat either. I just don't want to go through shipping so I'm trying to find a local buyer.

I actually have a Gretsch Renown as well for sale. This is the new RN1 in a cherry finish. Again, the condition is mint. My price is really good.

The only reason why I am selling is because I bought a Saturn Mapex IV that I absolutely love.

Anyway, if you think you may be heading up to MA...or anyone else interested...here is my email and we can talk price. [email protected].

Rob

If I were in the market for a new birch kit I'd at least have a look at the new Yamaha Stage Customs.. I'd call them semi-pro and being considerably below your $-limit for a 5-piece you could get an add-on tom or upgrade your cymbals..

Dutch

I wish I could travel to MA!! Sounds like two really nice kits for sale. So the Saturn IV's got your ear huh? That's cool to know. What year are your SC's?
I'll check out some of those new Yamahas. I just was left very unimpressed by my Yamaha Oak customs a couple of years back. Obviously oak has a limited audience and I wasn't one. The hardware was nuts though.

I wish I could travel to MA!! Sounds like two really nice kits for sale. So the Saturn IV's got your ear huh? That's cool to know. What year are your SC's?
I'll check out some of those new Yamahas. I just was left very unimpressed by my Yamaha Oak customs a couple of years back. Obviously oak has a limited audience and I wasn't one. The hardware was nuts though.

Hi Mike,

My Starclassics are the latest model with the 10x7, 12x8 rack toms...so 2013 model.
Good luck on your search...always fun looking for a new kit!

I usually like a 10x8/12x9/14x12 or 14x14 and a 22x18. Maybe if I get out this Saturday I'll play some and listen to the difference. There seems to be a shift to more shallow toms every few years.

Think I may just go the used route and look for some original Genistas, Gen X's, Starclassic perfomers, etc. I'm just really picky and want really clean stuff and it's hard to find folks who represent their stuff accurately. There are some super high quality pro level drums out there, I just gotta find the right ones..... Plan to stick with birch or possibly a birch mix.

The shopping finally ended today and thank the Lord. I feel like I lucked up on a set of Pearl Masters Studios. I almost had myself when I saw the sizes: 8/10/12/14/16/22. One extra drum more than I was looking for! They're ocean blue sparkle which is what initially caught my eye. I know how much I loved my 06 SCP birch drums and expect this to be no different. My first time ever owning Pearls, haven't hit these yet, so my second time ever hitting any that I can remember since the mid 80's. I did play on a beautiful set of BLX's in 1990 at Veneman Music in Maryland....
Only two remotely good pics I have until they get here. Crossing my fingers on these!

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 110
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 109
Back